Brett Smith #3 NFL QB Prospect

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

http://nflsfuture.com/2013/05/15/2014-n ... ankings/2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Considering the beating Brett has taken every year since he's arrived in Laramie, I would not be shocked if he declares early. That said, this QB class could be loaded.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Reno fans not going to be happy Brett is ahead of Fajardo.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:Considering the beating Brett has taken every year since he's arrived in Laramie, I would not be shocked if he declares early. That said, this QB class could be loaded.
I wouldn't really be surprised at all either.
I think the kid is better than Bridgewater. That isn't LITB talk that is real talk. Comparing their stats freshman year, Smith was hands down better.

So far...
Bridgewater: Passing:66.9% Completion %, 5847 yards, 41TD, 20INT, (2.05 TD/INT)
Rushing: 163 carries, 92 yards, 5 TDs, (.56 yards per carry)
Total: 5939 total yards, 46TDs

Smith: Passing: 61.5% Completion %, 5454 yards, 47TD, 17INT (2.76 TD/INT)
Rushing: 253 carries, 958 yards, 16TDs, (3.79 yards per carry)
Total: 6412 yards, 63 TDs

Bridgewater has Smith on completion percentage. By a big enough margin that I won't say it is because of Wyo recievers dropping the ball. So yeah Bridgewater is quite a bit more accurate. But Smith is no slouch.
Bridgewater did have a big game against Florida in the Sugar Bowl though, and they won.
But other than that, Smith has outplayed Bridgewater in every aspect ESPECIALLY running.
Had Smith played against AFA and Cal Poly he would probably have more passing yards, and another 5 TDs to go with. And he would probably have 1000 rush yards in his career.
Obviously Smith needs to add weight to make sure he doesn't get hurt anymore. And he is above 200 lbs now. Thank god.
Still has a little bit of weight to go to make NFL scouts not worried.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

LOL Brett is pretty dang good, but Bridgewater is a projected Top 5 pick.....and a damn good QB.

I am always skeptical of non-AQ QBs in the draft. I remember when some people thought Colt Brennan would be the #1 overall pick after his Jr. season.....he ended up free-falling to the 6th round. NFL scouts find issues in players you never knew existed....I personally would be surprised if Smith goes anywhere in the first 3 rounds. He is a very good college QB, but stats are irrelevant.....they care about measurables....and Brett has serious concussion issues (could very quickly go the way of Jahvid Best), an average frame, and an arm that isn't as strong as NFL GMs look for. If you don't have top-tier arm strength, you can kiss the top 3 rounds good bye.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 252 times

The real surprise is that Pete Thomas is number 5 on that list. I saw nothing in him that would suggest NFL QB during his time at CSU.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote:The real surprise is that Pete Thomas is number 5 on that list. I saw nothing in him that would suggest NFL QB during his time at CSU.
I heard that he was like a 4 star recruit when CSU got him. And you can't blame him for his lack of production as a sheep.

Fairchild sucked lol
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:LOL Brett is pretty dang good, but Bridgewater is a projected Top 5 pick.....and a damn good QB.

I am always skeptical of non-AQ QBs in the draft. I remember when some people thought Colt Brennan would be the #1 overall pick after his Jr. season.....he ended up free-falling to the 6th round. NFL scouts find issues in players you never knew existed....I personally would be surprised if Smith goes anywhere in the first 3 rounds. He is a very good college QB, but stats are irrelevant.....they care about measurables....and Brett has serious concussion issues (could very quickly go the way of Jahvid Best), an average frame, and an arm that isn't as strong as NFL GMs look for. If you don't have top-tier arm strength, you can kiss the top 3 rounds good bye.
As far as I'm concerned if we had Bridgewater and Louisville had Smith, Brett Smith would be getting all that hype that Bridgewater has.

Ever since their freshman year it was "Bridgewater is so amazing, and Smith is pretty good too."
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 38 times

The thing working against Brett is the offense he plays in. He doesn't take any snaps under center.. NFL QBs take 95% of their snaps under center. Even Kaepernick has to take snaps under center.. some QBs adjust to it, some don't. As J-Rod said above, Colt Brennan.. a big concern was he hadn't taken a snap under center in college.. going from the run and shoot to the pro style is a big difference.. some guys adjust, others go away. Brett has to show that he can play in multiple offenses, be accurate, and launch a ball deep. I don't think his injury issues are even in play right now.. there aren't many college QBs who don't come out a little beat up.
ImageImageImageImage
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

One thing is for certain, Brett is being watched and evaluated. It will be interesting to see how brett develops with a new qb coach.

I think B Smith has good arm strength. On par with what we saw out of steve young in college. Smith attempts plenty of passes per game, and there will be tons of tape for evaluators to look at each different type of delivery.

What he brings is above average ratings for one step and other quick delivery motions. He moves around the pocket with an extremely high rating, and has above average speed for a nfl qb.

he throws well rolling out of the pocket, and he carries the most important quality that evaluators look for... grit. he plays better under pressure.

lucky for smith, his dimensions are all where they need to be on the genetics side of the house. you have to be at least 6'3 for most teams to even have solid interest. His weight will be fine.

the big thing for brett over the next two years is two things:

1. win games that we shouldn't
2. He has to show that he can make multiple reads on the same play, look off the safety, and keep his interceptions down.

naturally, as a junior, this is his year to really start showing-off his abilities.
Last edited by carbonpoke on Thu May 16, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SLCPoke
Cowpoke

carbonpoke wrote:One thing is for certain, Brett is being watched and evaluated. It will be interesting to see how brett develops with a new qb coach.

I think B Smith has good arm strength. On par with what we saw out of steve young in college. Smith attempts plenty of passes per game, and there will be tons of tape for evaluators to look at each different type of delivery.

What he brings is above average ratings for one step and other quick delivery motions. He moves around the pocket with an extremely high rating, and has above average speed for a nfl qb.

he throws well rolling out of the pocket, and he carries the most important quality that evaluators look for... grit. he plays better under pressure.

lucky for smith, his dimensions are all where they need to be on the genetics side of the house. you have to be at least 6'3 for most teams to even have solid interest. His weight will be fine.

2. He has to show that he can make multiple reads on the same play, look of the safety, and keep his interceptions down.

naturally, as a junior, this is his year to really start showing-off his abilities.
+1
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

SLCPoke wrote:
carbonpoke wrote:One thing is for certain, Brett is being watched and evaluated. It will be interesting to see how brett develops with a new qb coach.

2. He has to show that he can make multiple reads on the same play, look of the safety, and keep his interceptions down.

+1
I think that is a good write up. If he improves the way he did from freshman year to sophomore year again in his junior season I really think he could be MWC POY. He went from 20TD/11INT to 27TD/6INT. Although he missed two full games. So can we call that roughly 32/7 if he plays 12 full and 35/8 if we went to a bull game?

He is putting on weight, and ran a lot less last season. Even though it was a running play that got him hurt against Toledo.
And with DC saying that the Pokes are going to run the ball more this season, does that mean more plays from under center?
Or will it all be shotgun again?
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Brett Smith isn't a fit for every NFL offense due to his lack of elite arm strength. He could be a starter for a smart coach(Harbaughs, Belichick, etc.) who will play to Brett's strengths, but most coaches aren't capable of that. Most NFL coaches are stubborn and want players to fit the coaches mold rather than molding an offense around the players. I think he'll have a long career as one of the best backups in the league.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

DVDA wrote:Brett Smith isn't a fit for every NFL offense due to his lack of elite arm strength. He could be a starter for a smart coach(Harbaughs, Belichick, etc.) who will play to Brett's strengths, but most coaches aren't capable of that. Most NFL coaches are stubborn and want players to fit the coaches mold rather than molding an offense around the players. I think he'll have a long career as one of the best backups in the league.
Arm strength isn't everything. Look at SDSU's former QB Lindley, 6'4, 230lbs, rocket arm, and stunk it up badly. Folds under slight pressure, incredibly immobile, questionable decision making, and accuracy issues.

Arm strength can be improved, as Brett showed last season as he launched some deep ones that were on target. Thompson has the arm stength and just as much grit as Brett, and does not fold under pressure, but his accuracy and touch are questionable and need serious improvement. And honestly, it's harder to do that than to beef up your arm.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

DVDA wrote:Brett Smith isn't a fit for every NFL offense due to his lack of elite arm strength. He could be a starter for a smart coach(Harbaughs, Belichick, etc.) who will play to Brett's strengths, but most coaches aren't capable of that. Most NFL coaches are stubborn and want players to fit the coaches mold rather than molding an offense around the players. I think he'll have a long career as one of the best backups in the league.
I think Brett takes over for Peyton after Peyton wins 4 SBs with Denver then Smith goes on to win 10 with 10 MVPs. But that's just me.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

there are too many games left to be played between now and 2015 draft.

however, if things played out under current circumstances I think the broncos, patriots, saints, san diego, Texans, chiefs, bears (hate to say it cause im a Vikings fan), and cardinals would be a roster fit for smith.

Elway, Belichick, McCoy in san diego, the new bears coach: are all really good evaluators and developers of qbs.

green bay maybe might look for a solid backup.

like I said though... a lot can happen between now and then.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Smith to the Cowboys in 2015 please :)
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I don't care too much for Dallas, but as of now, Wyoming has a better starting QB than Dallas. Hahaha
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 50 times

BeaverPoke wrote:I don't care too much for Dallas, but as of now, Wyoming has a better starting QB than Dallas. Hahaha
Honestly.....Hawaii has a better QB than Dallas does. :roll: Jerry Jones shoulda fired himself as general manager a long LONG LONG time ago!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote:
Arm strength isn't everything. Look at SDSU's former QB Lindley, 6'4, 230lbs, rocket arm, and stunk it up badly. Folds under slight pressure, incredibly immobile, questionable decision making, and accuracy issues.

Arm strength can be improved, as Brett showed last season as he launched some deep ones that were on target. Thompson has the arm stength and just as much grit as Brett, and does not fold under pressure, but his accuracy and touch are questionable and need serious improvement. And honestly, it's harder to do that than to beef up your arm.
I agree that arm strength doesn't matter if you suck as a passer, but there is a minimum requirement to make NFL throws. I don't know that Brett Smith has that kind of arm strength. Have you ever categorized a pass from Smith as a dart, a bullet, laser, etc.? I know I haven't because he doesn't have the ability to throw the fast ball. Maybe he'll put on 20-30 pounds and gain some arm strength while doing so, but I don't see it happening.