Rumors--Rumors--Rumors

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
armchaircoach
Buckaroo

Rumors abound here in Laramie, most surround Dave Christensen the OC a Missouri but he will be in demand for a lot of jobs. If we want him, we will need to get it done in a hurry. He is innovative and looks to be a great coach—but we would need to find a bunch of players. The spread Option offense is just another offense without a stud at quarterback. And we are going to be thin at running back—watching drills this fall I didn’t see much after our number 3. If he is our guy, and I think he would be a good one but it will take time. Give him at least five years.

Another name being tossed around is John L. Smith, I met him when he was here before, great offensive mind and a guy with really nothing to prove—I like him, the only old guy I think could do it here and we may have a quarterback that could run his stuff.

My pick, from the rumor mill, is Ted Gilmore but I am not hearing much about him any more, he knows the short passing game and he really knows recruiting. And the guy can flat out coach.

Also some talk about an unknown member of the KU staff and Norm Chow again. Great coach-too old.

Well—we will see – Only TB knows and he better not screw this up.

Above rumors compliments of: fans, friends, Wal-Mart check out line, Rec center users, local education centers, Pokes from far away, people who know, people who think they know oh, and my wife threw in her 2 cents worth.

Still think we need these things in a new coach

1. Offensive minded
2. Big time recruiting experience
3. Contacts (Vic didn’t have any and it left him with an inexperienced staff and no recruiting base.
4. A coach willing to find assistants from various parts of the country (recruiting)
Pokemsooners
Buckaroo

I have to agree with you that Ted Gilmore is a guy who needs to be seriously considered for the HC job. He's a class guy all around, and I think a good fit for UW.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

armchaircoach wrote:1. Offensive minded
2. Big time recruiting experience
3. Contacts (Vic didn’t have any and it left him with an inexperienced staff and no recruiting base.
4. A coach willing to find assistants from various parts of the country (recruiting)
Couldn't agree more. Need to score, need more talent, need the best assistants available.

Need someone who will win soon, or we might as well stick with Glenn. I stand by the Troy Calhoun example that it doesn't have to take several years of rebuilding to have a winner.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

Well, the important thing is that come Sunday, regardless of a win, that the Athletic Department make a move. The program will not be able to sustain another year of Glenn.
cheypoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

I would think that if Burmas was going to give Glenn another year, Burman would have already said that (he should have said it so that recruiting etc could proceed). But that announcement never came, so I think its a foregone conclusion that Glenn is done. And I would hope to see an announcement as soon as possible so the program can get moving. Do we see another "search committe" type of thing that works on it for a few weeks? Or will Burman just make a pick quickly?
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I think Burman will move quickly this time. Like I said before, I believe he saw this coming quite awhile back and already has his man and will announce it either after the border war or when the new coach finishes his season. Otherwise, if Glenn was going to stay, he would have been recruiting during the bye week. Hopefully the new coach is already assembling his staff so the recruiting can start right away.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

IMO - Its doubtful that a new coach has already been secretly offered the job. If Burman was going down that road it would have made sense to announce during the season that Glenn wouldn't be back next year, and then he could have legitimately (and legally) hired a coach.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
cheypoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

I would hope that Burman has at least had some contact (direct or indirect) with some top candidates to feel out if they are even interested in the job.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Ted Gilmore and the unknown KU coach (I assume is JeNey Jackson) intrigue me as the both played at UW during some good years. One is an offensive coach, and the other is defensive. It would be an interesting pairing, they both seem to have a bit of recruiting experience, but is that enough?

Don't everyone shoot me but I still think Glenn can win consistently at Wyoming, I just wonder how long it would take. One of his best traits, loyalty to his staff, may also be his biggest weakness. I have come a long way in the last couple months from "we need to stick with someone for long term success" to "we need the coach that gives us the best chance to win now, worry about the future in the future, win now and the rest will take care of itself."

With all the speculation about the other coaches in MWC and Rockly Long's resignation, it almost makes me think we should stay put as we compete with the others for recruits and they know what they are going to get with Glenn. Problem is, we won't know what the other coaches are doing probably until after the bowl season, and then we would be behind in recruiting either way, and coach searching if Burman makes a switch. I just think it muddies the decision and could really cause a guy to second guess himself. If there are 6 new coaches in the conference next year maybe we should stay the course. I doubt Bronco would leave BYU-he just belongs there, Whittingham I could see being coaxed away from SLC, Patterson could go to KSU-I would never know why, Rocky is already out at NM, SDSU could change their mind and go another direction. But if they all move and we change that would mean UNLV would have the elder stateman, Calhoun second, and 1st yr Fairchild at CSU would be 3rd - WOW! On the flip side I could see the changes being as little as 2 NM and WYO. No matter what it will be interesting, too bad we are talking about this instead of which bowl game we are going to, etc.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!