Starting QB job open for competition

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

Interesting tidbit coming from signing day:

Robert Gagliardi ‏@rpgagliardi
Christensen asked if he will redshirt So. QB Jason Thompson: "He wants to compete for the starting QB." Has not ruled out redshirting him

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred
Gregg Brandon on QB competition b/w B. Smith and J. Thompson: "All of our guys have to understand there are no secure jobs right now" #gowyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Coach speak. Horse poop of the maximum level.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

That's what I'm thinking too. Still interesting though.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 252 times

I heard the Green Bay Packers and New England Patriots will have open QB competitions as well.
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

I was there DC said that Thompson wants to start and they both will complete for the starting job.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

If Thompson has learned to control his throws, then I could definitly see him giving Smith a run for his money. But if nothing else, the competition should help Smith become a better QB.
Wyoirish
Ranch Hand

Yeah...or it could also fatally piss him off mightily. I wonder if Fajardo or Carr are competing for their job. The only top 15 QB in the country who's school is looking to replace. This ain't good.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyoirish wrote:Yeah...or it could also fatally piss him off mightily. I wonder if Fajardo or Carr are competing for their job. The only top 15 QB in the country who's school is looking to replace. This ain't good.
Its total coach speak, nothing more.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Relax, no one is looking to replace anyone. Besides, the open competition is part of what makes us attractive, after your starting you need to understand it works both ways. Also, we can't redshirt Thompson he is our only backup worth a darn. Hopefully, he will get a lot of time next year, due to big leads in second half. Ha. I thought he played well down the stretch, not quite smith good but good none the less. He should get to play, he is solid, and can provide some tough running from the qb position without putting Brett at risk.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I agree with JROD, 100% coach speak. Every coach in the country is saying this exact same thing.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

There was an open competition at USC for EVERY position when Carroll was there. It is totally BS because you know that Thompson doesn't have poop on Smith.

I get Thompson saying that he wants to have the starting job but if he truly believes that he has a chance....then he is in for a disappointment.
Hopefully he gets redshirted because we don't need him. We needed him last year, hopefully we don't get into that situation.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I believe DC said QB was open for competition last year as well. Doesn't mean anything he has to say it.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

He doesnt have to say it. Its a lie. Just comes easier to DC than the truth sometimes
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

WyoAlum1987 wrote:He doesnt have to say it. Its a lie. Just comes easier to DC than the truth sometimes
Same with all D1 coaches. Except for Joe Glen...and look what that got us lol, but hey Vegas Bowl is better than NM Bowl.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Not like we one ten games or something..... nothing wrong with a coach saying open competition.... coach speak...yet true....big boy football.....whole team needs to have a major chip on their shoulders! "They think they are better than you....they think their mommas are better than yours!"former strength coach referring to AF :x
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Haven't been on the football board for awhile but this thread cracks me up.

I think Thompson can easily give Brett a run for his money at starting QB and anyone that says otherwise doesn't have a clue to what they are talking about. Does that mean Thompson will start over Brett? Nope. Brett could still win the starting position but I will say that Thompson has a stronger arm than Brett does.

And to whoever said Brett is a top 15 QB in the country?.... He is going to have to show a lot more than he did last year to prove to me that he is a top 15 QB in the country. Honestly as of right now starting the season he is probably 4th or 5th best QB in the MWC. I would put Carr, Fajardo, Keaton and Fales above him right now. I know he was hurt last year but the games he did play in he didn't do anything special against any of the better teams we played.

I don't think Christiansen is kidding when he says the QB position is open for competition and I won't be surprised if Thompson wins the position. I think Brett will probably still win it but just saying I won't be surprised if he doesn't.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

seattlecowboy wrote:Haven't been on the football board for awhile but this thread cracks me up.

I think Thompson can easily give Brett a run for his money at starting QB and anyone that says otherwise doesn't have a clue to what they are talking about. Does that mean Thompson will start over Brett? Nope. Brett could still win the starting position but I will say that Thompson has a stronger arm than Brett does.

And to whoever said Brett is a top 15 QB in the country?.... He is going to have to show a lot more than he did last year to prove to me that he is a top 15 QB in the country. Honestly as of right now starting the season he is probably 4th or 5th best QB in the MWC. I would put Carr, Fajardo, Keaton and Fales above him right now. I know he was hurt last year but the games he did play in he didn't do anything special against any of the better teams we played.

I don't think Christiansen is kidding when he says the QB position is open for competition and I won't be surprised if Thompson wins the position. I think Brett will probably still win it but just saying I won't be surprised if he doesn't.
I want what you smoking
W-Y, Until I Die!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

seattlecowboy wrote:Haven't been on the football board for awhile but this thread cracks me up.

HAHA what?
I know I have said some dumb things on this board before but this might be one of the dumbest.
You really wouldn't be surprised to see BRETT FREAKIN SMITH lose his job to Thompson?
Thompson's job in the offense is to hold Bretts cup and get him gatorade.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

How does 27 TDs to 6 INTS through 9.5 games sound? That doesn't show you enough. Please dude.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

laxwyo wrote:I want what you smoking
You can't say that anymore when referring to somebody from Washington (or Colorado). It doesn't mean the same thing.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...