Deep Breath

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

Ok, so last night after that game, I literally couldn't speak for 2 hours. It definitely hurt mainly because we were off to such a great start and I would have liked to have seen a 14,15,16-0 start.

In trying to put some things in perspective and to think about what actually happened last night I realized one thing....I haven't reacted the way that I did last night after a Wyoming loss in probably 15 or more years.

This team has done that for us. Yeah yeah, if our schedule would have been a little stronger, we might not have been 13-0...maybe not, but this is what this program needs. But how many on this board can say that after last night's loss you were like "well that sucks....we lost. What's on HBO?" None of you!!! You were all just like me...pissed and ready to start the world on fire. The monkey is off of our back now. Yeah, and so is the national attention, but at least these guys can go out and play and not feel the pressure of undefeated. Before this game, people on this board were talking about losing 3-6 games all year. Some of you are saying, well, we will never be ranked again this year. If we are 27-3 or or 26-4 or 25-5 there is a good chance we will be ranked.

Now about the game....Martinez in that game makes a huge difference for us defensively. Why? Because he (yes our best defender on our team) would be guarding that ridiculous shooter all night. On offense all of their guards dropped into the paint as soon as the ball went in there. They wouldn't have been able to do that with martinez on the floor. We still did not play very well. We looked slow and we played BSU's game, they didn't play our game. Until the end, leonard was a non issue and Nance WAS a non issue all game. We have not arrived by any means. But we were the conference joke 2 years ago. That is no longer the case. It isn't going to happen over night, but I believe in these guys and I believe in Papa Shy.

One area of concern is the hit this will take to the home crowds from this point forward??? Pathetic that at 13-1 team can't get a big crowd. I will say that listening to that game last night, when the crowd got on their feet, it really got loud. There was 6416 at the game. I can't imagine what it WILL be like when we pack it to 15k. Losing last night hurt the probability of that happening anytime soon however.

We have a lot of work to do, but it feels really good to be pissed again. Now, I just hope I don't feel it again.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

Dutchnation wrote:Ok, so last night after that game, I literally couldn't speak for 2 hours. It definitely hurt mainly because we were off to such a great start and I would have liked to have seen a 14,15,16-0 start.

In trying to put some things in perspective and to think about what actually happened last night I realized one thing....I haven't reacted the way that I did last night after a Wyoming loss in probably 15 or more years.

This team has done that for us. Yeah yeah, if our schedule would have been a little stronger, we might not have been 13-0...maybe not, but this is what this program needs. But how many on this board can say that after last night's loss you were like "well that sucks....we lost. What's on HBO?" None of you!!! You were all just like me...pissed and ready to start the world on fire. The monkey is off of our back now. Yeah, and so is the national attention, but at least these guys can go out and play and not feel the pressure of undefeated. Before this game, people on this board were talking about losing 3-6 games all year. Some of you are saying, well, we will never be ranked again this year. If we are 27-3 or or 26-4 or 25-5 there is a good chance we will be ranked.

Now about the game....Martinez in that game makes a huge difference for us defensively. Why? Because he (yes our best defender on our team) would be guarding that ridiculous shooter all night. On offense all of their guards dropped into the paint as soon as the ball went in there. They wouldn't have been able to do that with martinez on the floor. We still did not play very well. We looked slow and we played BSU's game, they didn't play our game. Until the end, leonard was a non issue and Nance WAS a non issue all game. We have not arrived by any means. But we were the conference joke 2 years ago. That is no longer the case. It isn't going to happen over night, but I believe in these guys and I believe in Papa Shy.

One area of concern is the hit this will take to the home crowds from this point forward??? Pathetic that at 13-1 team can't get a big crowd. I will say that listening to that game last night, when the crowd got on their feet, it really got loud. There was 6416 at the game. I can't imagine what it WILL be like when we pack it to 15k. Losing last night hurt the probability of that happening anytime soon however.

We have a lot of work to do, but it feels really good to be pissed again. Now, I just hope I don't feel it again.
i realized the same thing this morning.....if someone would have told me that the pokes would be 13-1 last august i'd have had them committed
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Yup we are fine so what so we lost one who cares what the pollsters or the media thinks what we need to do is focusing on the mwc schedule and do what needs to be done. Nance is going to have to be more active I won't blame the loss on him by any means but when your top scorers are combined for 1 point at the half there is a problem that needs to be addressed and it was only partially addressed.
gbpoke
Cowpoke

I was totally devastated last night...tried to go to bed but tossed and turned all night long. I guess it's a nice feeling because it means we've finally gotten the rotten taste of losing out of our system from Schroyer. However, to me the only bad thing about the loss last night is that it was at home. Boise is going to beat a lot of the top teams in the conference--remember the just about beat Michigan State in East Lansing, they beat the crap out of Creighton in Omaha and now they pulled one out against the Pokes in Laramie. This loss won't hurt nearly as bad come NCAA bid time as a loss in one of our next two games, the Pokes have to rebound and get ready for the Nevada/Fresno road trip and then take care of business. A sweep on the road goes a long way toward erasing the hit that Boise gave to us, then we can look forward to repaying Boise when we play them later, hopefully with a healthy Martinez.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

Glad everyone is feeling the same way.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

I kinda feel like I need my fix of pokes now. Saturday night will bring a better outcome. Sucks we didn't hold court but to sat. We go
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Like I said, they had to try and get what's his face, the 3 pointer guy, to foul out. He killed us all night.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

I still think the biggest issue was working the ball inside. We didn't at all the first half. If we would've done that we would be 14-0 now.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

There are now only two unbeaten teams left. Arizona just lost to Oregon.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

WYCowboy wrote:There are now only two unbeaten teams left. Arizona just lost to Oregon.
Duke is at #20 NC State.......Michigan plays Ohio State.....could be no undefeated's after this weekend.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

it's a hell of a feeling huh, it means that we matter in conference, something that's been missing for a long time!!! Now it's time to go on the road win these next 2 to try to erase that damn buzzer beater....GO POKES
gopokes1399
Blog Team

They're gonnna be fine our defense on the perimeter needs to get better... it has been a weakness all year