Smith for Heisman in 2013?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

I did some research and this is what I found.

http://pokepride.com/brett-smith-a-heisman-candidate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Kellen Moore:

Consistent Top 10 team for 3 years.

Highest passing efficiency rating of all time.

Ended his career the winningest QB in CFB history.

Didn't even get invited to the Heisman ceremony his Senior year.

Brett Smith just needs to worry about staying healthy. Heisman talk is way off base. Brett is a great QB, but great isn't good enough. As evidenced by Moore, Brennan, Dalton, Kaepernick, or any other special non-AQ QB.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 38 times

Didn't Moore get invited to New York? Even then, during Moore's two best years he was up against RGIII, who put up stupid numbers, and Cam Newton, who was bought and paid for, and also put up stupid numbers. As a senior Smith will be the top 1 or 2 QBs in the country (among other Sr QBs).. certainly not unreasonable talk.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

J-Rod wrote:Kellen Moore:

Consistent Top 10 team for 3 years.

Highest passing efficiency rating of all time.

Ended his career the winningest QB in CFB history.

Didn't even get invited to the Heisman ceremony his Senior year.

Brett Smith just needs to worry about staying healthy. Heisman talk is way off base. Brett is a great QB, but great isn't good enough. As evidenced by Moore, Brennan, Dalton, Kaepernick, or any other special non-AQ QB.
^^^^^^
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:Didn't Moore get invited to New York? Even then, during Moore's two best years he was up against RGIII, who put up stupid numbers, and Cam Newton, who was bought and paid for, and also put up stupid numbers. As a senior Smith will be the top 1 or 2 QBs in the country (among other Sr QBs).. certainly not unreasonable talk.
Whaaat? I swear UW just finished 4-8. Sorry, but I saw nothing in 2012 that indicated a 2013 run that would be good enough to put Smith in New York. 11-1 would be the minimum, 12-0 likely required. That....is an unreasonable expectation. It isn't just about stats, the team has to put that kind of a season together too.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 50 times

J-Rod wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:Didn't Moore get invited to New York? Even then, during Moore's two best years he was up against RGIII, who put up stupid numbers, and Cam Newton, who was bought and paid for, and also put up stupid numbers. As a senior Smith will be the top 1 or 2 QBs in the country (among other Sr QBs).. certainly not unreasonable talk.
Whaaat? I swear UW just finished 4-8. Sorry, but I saw nothing in 2012 that indicated a 2013 run that would be good enough to put Smith in New York. 11-1 would be the minimum, 12-0 likely required. That....is an unreasonable expectation. It isn't just about stats, the team has to put that kind of a season together too.
Plus ESPN has to like the kid as well. What ESPN wants, they get.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

J-Rod wrote:
12-0 lol Wyoming would have to go undefeated 4 years straight against top 10 teams only then and only then would any player on our team be recognized for anything at all. Heisman is a popularity contest for BCS conferences only.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote: Plus ESPN has to like the kid as well. What ESPN wants, they get.
RGIII was able to put up a phenomenal stat season that trumped a not as good team season. I think Baylor went 9-4 that year......

Still.....he was at a BCS school, and dazzled the entire season. Brett Smith is a great QB, but guys like Cam Newton and RGIII might be prodigies to the game of football. I'd say its taking it a little to far to clump Smith in with those guys....
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote:Heisman is a popularity contest for BCS conferences only.
That sums it all up.

In recent years, it seems the southern dominance over this award is becoming more prominent too. Now every year the results from voting are ridiculously biased towards the players from southern schools, particularly the SEC. This is not only a popularity contest, its one tailored to appease the southerners.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Seriously? Brett Smith for Heisman talk, wow. Can we go talk some hoops not poop. Do you guys remember that even if smith has great numbers, there is a kid who just won the heisman and has 3 more years and plays in the sec.

Smith had great numbers his freshman year but a kid did better than that, against SEC Ds for gods sake.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

Smith did play about half the season/still put up the numbers he did with a thumb that hardly worked on his throwing hand his freshman year. Manziel was healthy the entire year. You can't discount the kid for playing in a weaker conference. He has no control over that. Besides most of us have already discussed/agreed that you could stick him on a team in the Pac12 etc. and he would still be performing at an extremely high level. I've said it before and I'll say it again, no QB means more to their team in the entire country than Smith. With that being said I fully agree that the Heisman is a popularity contest for the BCS schools. The only shot he would have at even being in the top 8ish would be if Wyo went undefeated his senior year with the upsets at MSU and Autzen. He'd also need around 30+ passing TDs, 10+ Rushing TDs, over 3k yards passing, and under 10 ints. I say we focus on getting a couple more wins, a better o line, a running game, and a defense before we start talking Heisman tho :lol:
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

I have never said he would win the Heisman I just posed the question. His stats in less games are as good as this years winner and if Manziel wins with the same kind of stats in more games I figured it made a good argument for Smith. In writing the article I could care less what conference you play in or your opponents as I thin Heisman should be based on on filed play.

Smith's stats rank with some of the best in the country and I do believe because of that he should at least be considered.

The best way to get a player noticed is to put his name out there and that is all I did.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

There's no way he shouldn't get some recognition next year if he plays the way he's capable of....man wouldn't that be the bomb to have a candidate for Heisman at good ole UW...man oh man
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

stymeman wrote:There's no way he shouldn't get some recognition next year if he plays the way he's capable of....man wouldn't that be the bomb to have a candidate for Heisman at good ole UW...man oh man
Wasn't Marcus Harris a candidate in 1996?
gopokes1399
Blog Team

First off, to the Kellen Moore argument: It isn't a career award it is a one year award... Brett Smith will not win the Hesiman, he plays at Wyoming... He will hopefully put up hesiman numbers and that isn't unreasonable to think. As fas as winning, yeah right, I wish
gopokes1399
Blog Team

and in your math comparing him to Manziel, you have to factor in running, record, everything
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

The sweet revenge will come if Smith makes it to the NFL and becomes a big star (unlike Tebow).
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
stymeman wrote:There's no way he shouldn't get some recognition next year if he plays the way he's capable of....man wouldn't that be the bomb to have a candidate for Heisman at good ole UW...man oh man
Wasn't Marcus Harris a candidate in 1996?
kind of, but early in season i think, didn't make it to the NYC show if i remember right...we know he was a stud, and his numbers still stand up
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

gopokes1399 wrote:and in your math comparing him to Manziel, you have to factor in running, record, everything
I acknowledgde that Manziel had better rushing yards in the article. Smith had good numbers as a freshman but was asked not to run as much as a sophomore. His rushing numbers may be back up next year they may not, I tell you as a fan I would much rather see a QB with hefty passing numbers and not the yards on the ground, if that happens then you know you have a more well rounded team.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

PokePride.com wrote: I acknowledgde that Manziel had better rushing yards in the article. Smith had good numbers as a freshman but was asked not to run as much as a sophomore. His rushing numbers may be back up next year they may not, I tell you as a fan I would much rather see a QB with hefty passing numbers and not the yards on the ground, if that happens then you know you have a more well rounded team.
Tell that to the 2006 Hawaii Warriors. Colt Brennan once lobbed up 5,500 passing yards, along with 58 TD passes. No Heisman ceremony invite. That team went 11-3.

Manziel's running stats were absurd. I believe we had a thread here on WN debating whether 1,000 rushing yards was even possible for Brett......Manziel did it, and with room to spare.

Bottom line: I don't think the 2013 Cowboys will be anywhere near good enough for Brett to get that kind of recognition. It will again be an uphill battle to become bowl eligible.