Google TV a contract player?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
AfiPoke
Cowpoke

BE commish Aresco on 6 December:

"We just don't know yet" what the television deal will be worth, Aresco said.

Aresco said six networks are interested in obtaining Big East television rights and that several non-traditional entities have also inquired.

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/1 ... _next_week

From what I gather, Google is entering the fray (http://www.xossports.com/SmartTV.aspx , http://www.google.com/tv/apps.html#tab=news.

There have been a couple of excellent tech discussions on here and the MWC board about the viability of streaming options for the future of college sports (and the industry as a whole for that matter). As a SiriusXM stockholder (one of the 10 left in the country :( ) there are some very strange things coming out in the reports. Seems everyone is jittery over how big a splash Google and Apple TV are going to make in the media world.

Thus, to provoke some discussion, I thought I would ask fellow pokes what they think about non-traditional entities as potential partners for the MWC? Is this the future?

I see lots of upside as a fan who wants to watch our games (on demand would be especially useful for me) but, I wonder what kind of money something like this would bring in? I'm thinking of our stint with the MTN. I didn't watch most of the programming because it was simply run to fill dead time. However, with an option like Google TV, I would think there would be far fewer costs associated with maintaining a traditional 'channel' and less dead time to fill. It is interesting to think on.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

If apple can be a contender it will require more than they are doing as they haven't entered the world of live media. I work for Apple so I know first hand that Apple would be a great option for replays of events but as of right now they aren't involved in live broadcasting be it TV or Online.

Google on the other hand has Google Fiber and TV so they are indeed in position. However you saw the Stream for the ISU Redbirds, Their web based HD stream was as quality as some Network stations I have seen. MWC Schools need to all up their streaming capabilities. Regardless if you are live streaming through google or anyone else it's still based on your locations network capabilities.

That being said if Tier 3 rights were sold back to the school after Mtn closed down and I had my way I would have contacted every option for streaming and would already have it in place. Wyoming did a half assed job with this our Video stream is so bad they need to put more effort into increasing the quality of the stream.

For over 6 years I have paid $7.95 a month for every audio game I would in a heartbeat pay $10-12 a month for every Video stream if the quality was the same or better than the ISU stream. Our current video stream has no price increase over audio because it's so poorly implemented.

If Wyoming / MWC ( HUGE IF ) actually gets off their collectively lazy asses and network out to Google to have the games streamed I will go and buy a Google box. If they recorded the events and later sold a season pass on Itunes to watch all of the games again I would buy that as well. I still have MWC Basketball and Football games on my DVR dating back as far as 2006.
AfiPoke
Cowpoke

It seems our fan diaspora footprint would make this a hugely attractive option. Not only for us lowly Poke fans but, pretty much everyone on the outside of the Big 4. The only reason I see Google as a viable option, they seem to have the cash on hand to try an experiment like this. I just wonder what kind of options the Big East is hearing from these guys?

Still boggles my mind that a University, complete with almost everything it needs to launch something like this (communications dept, business school, computer science dept., etc...) can't break the code to get this done.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

AfiPoke wrote:It seems our fan diaspora footprint would make this a hugely attractive option. Not only for us lowly Poke fans but, pretty much everyone on the outside of the Big 4. The only reason I see Google as a viable option, they seem to have the cash on hand to try an experiment like this. I just wonder what kind of options the Big East is hearing from these guys?

Still boggles my mind that a University, complete with almost everything it needs to launch something like this (communications dept, business school, computer science dept., etc...) can't break the code to get this done.
UW apparently has adequate equipment to stream high quality games but lack of experience running the camera among other things is the biggest issue.

Right now http://www.xossports.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has already setup Conference Partners;

Partner Site Login - Single Sign On
XOS Digital powers many OnDemand stores for its collegiate partners. For your convenience, your XOSSports.com username and password will also allow you to login and purchase media from these other XOS Digital partner OnDemand stores:

• SECOnDemand.com
• NFFOnDemand.com
• Big12OnDemand.com

I'm sorry but while the MWC was at the forefront in Establishing the first Conference Network once it fell flat it's like they just gave up. If our commissioner really wanted the conference to flourish then it's time for him to get busy and get us everywhere we can be.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

Wyo2dal wrote:
AfiPoke wrote:It seems our fan diaspora footprint would make this a hugely attractive option. Not only for us lowly Poke fans but, pretty much everyone on the outside of the Big 4. The only reason I see Google as a viable option, they seem to have the cash on hand to try an experiment like this. I just wonder what kind of options the Big East is hearing from these guys?

UW apparently has adequate equipment to stream high quality games but lack of experience running the camera among other things is the biggest issue.

Right now http://www.xossports.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has already setup Conference Partners;

Partner Site Login - Single Sign On
XOS Digital powers many OnDemand stores for its collegiate partners. For your convenience, your XOSSports.com username and password will also allow you to login and purchase media from these other XOS Digital partner OnDemand stores:

• SECOnDemand.com
• NFFOnDemand.com
• Big12OnDemand.com

I'm sorry but while the MWC was at the forefront in Establishing the first Conference Network once it fell flat it's like they just gave up. If our commissioner really wanted the conference to flourish then it's time for him to get busy and get us everywhere we can be.
XOs Sports has an app on the PS3, too. The MWC should definitely look into getting partnered up with a company that can offer streaming, especially to devices that people already own.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

awesome idea, seriously. this is the type of out box thinking that could break ground again for the landscape. by bypassing tv negotiations and heading into a seperate viewership.

google would probably be the only company with a huge bankroll. but i promise you that any computer based company would be interested.

something interesting to think about. the reason that tv companies pay so well for sports is that it has very high tv ratings. meaning that people watch. the tv companies then make money by selling advertisement slots to comercial companies and sponsers.

I wonder how google or another computer stream company would make money through advertisement. I would rather them take a comercial break than having a short advertisement interupt the stream. also, would google (or another computer based company) start their own film crews.... or would they have to contract out to a tv partner? the internet service is in every home. its not like time warner, xfinity, direct tv, bressnan....

internet based tv could and should get into this, as they would dominate the market... bypassing geographical barriers for television carriers. Obviously nbc would be pissed, or any tv based sports carrier. it does, however, service the fan the best.
AfiPoke
Cowpoke

carbonpoke wrote:awesome idea, seriously. this is the type of out box thinking that could break ground again for the landscape. by bypassing tv negotiations and heading into a seperate viewership.

google would probably be the only company with a huge bankroll. but i promise you that any computer based company would be interested.

something interesting to think about. the reason that tv companies pay so well for sports is that it has very high tv ratings. meaning that people watch. the tv companies then make money by selling advertisement slots to comercial companies and sponsers.

I wonder how google or another computer stream company would make money through advertisement. I would rather them take a comercial break than having a short advertisement interupt the stream. also, would google (or another computer based company) start their own film crews.... or would they have to contract out to a tv partner? the internet service is in every home. its not like time warner, xfinity, direct tv, bressnan....

internet based tv could and should get into this, as they would dominate the market... bypassing geographical barriers for television carriers. Obviously nbc would be pissed, or any tv based sports carrier. it does, however, service the fan the best.
That probably is the hinge question. It seems logical they would look at fielding their own crews rather than simply re-broadcast an outlets stuff. This is already being done and I don't think the profit margin is there for them. Plus, I don't see why an internet company would approach the Big East on their own to discuss contracts unless they have this capability/capacity in house (the technology is certainly there and the costs are not prohibitive these days).

I would think making this into an interactive sporting event would be a huge draw. I know for a fact many folks fire up their laptops/tablets before each game to start yakking with other fans or, the opposition fans. Imagine having that in a pop-up on your tv while you watch the game?

It merits keeping a close eye on this and I hope to hell someone at the MWC is preaching the value in this kind of innovative thinking. I guess I also believe this is the future for TV (especially sports) and base that off my own habits and those of my buds. I can't remember the last time I watched a session of sportscenter? I prefer to laser in on the sports, conferences, and teams I am interested in. The internet provides that kind of flexibility without all the crap about field hockey, cricket, and boxing that I don't want/need.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

There is no broadcast crew it takes your current broadcast and streams it to a new server. Requires more bandwidth and definitely better experience than Wyoming broadcast crew has they wouldn't take this quality or lack thereof and rebroadcast it.
AfiPoke
Cowpoke

Well...there ya go:

NBC Sports partners with Yahoo
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ ... l-17920793

Interesting.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

now that the first partnership has been established... its going to be a race. I have a feeling the other tv partners and internet companies will be following shortly. to much money to be made, or fear of losing current revenue for falling behind the jones's.

espn wont sign a deal with anybody as they already have internal capabilities for internet streaming. but look out for abc and fox, and hopefully root.
AfiPoke
Cowpoke

carbonpoke wrote:now that the first partnership has been established... its going to be a race. I have a feeling the other tv partners and internet companies will be following shortly. to much money to be made, or fear of losing current revenue for falling behind the jones's.

espn wont sign a deal with anybody as they already have internal capabilities for internet streaming. but look out for abc and fox, and hopefully root.
Seems like there is potential for growth there. Fresno fan noted that CBS is partnered with 247sports.com but that site looks like mainly a recruiting outfit (pretty sophomoric as well). Hope someone is on top of this stuff for us. :|
AfiPoke
Cowpoke

From Dodd:

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs

I've heard this from more than one person: Current generation first option to consume sports is NOT TV.

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs

It's not a cable TV biz anymore, it's a mass communications delivery biz, Bevilacqua

Bevilacqua got the PAC it's deal.