looking at 2014

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

That year has me excited for wyoming football!

It will be brett's senior year, with the most potent offense at wyoming since 96. Looking at the roster, if it stays mostly intact without attrition, wyoming will have the best receiving group maybe to ever see the field at the War. Individually, they most likely wont be a harris or yarborough, but collectively they could apply much more pressure than the mid 90's group. Wick and May will be juniors, thompson will be a solid backup. We just have to grow some offensive lineman.

2014 will be the first year of the playoff... plus it will be possibly the toughest schedule ever put together for us.

we have MSU and oregon. That oregon game, you know brett as a senior... returning home. I bet there will be 200 family and friends in the stands for brett. Epic drama for him. His personality and drive will be great tv!

Defensively, we had better get this thing rolling. Im excited about this years freshman class. In 2014, eddie will be a redshirt junior, halapi'api (lol the hawaiian), will be a big junior... add in uso, awrabi, appleby... We "might" be ok.

we absolutely need to recruit some quality outside linebackers this year. losing ghaali will hurt bad.

im on the fence right now with tormey. do we change? do we give in another year? what if the defense doesn't improve next year, then we head into 2014 with real controversy. should have we fired him now, instead of making a coordinator change in the 2014 preseason. or do we stay with him for that year and hope in year three he makes strides. Yuck.

Im a Christensen guy... always have been. He's of the same mold of coaches that took wyoming to success in the 90's and 80s. We brought him here to score points. he has done that. the differnce between wyoming 96 and now, we scored more points then than now. but defensively, we weren't great then either. the games back then were like basketball scores.

but if we want to compete and win this mountain west a couple of times, christensen needs to develop something defensively.

This is my opinion, don't burn me here, but I believe with our offense's ability to score, we need to move to a pressure defense. It didn't work out with glenn, but his team couldn't score points. We need a risk taking d, that can swing momentum. sure we might get burned for 7... but brett can score too. I just see more positives with our team blitzing more, alla Dick Lebeau's 3-4 zone blitz package.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

All of our WRs are threats, despite most being shorter than what you normally would use, but they all have good hands. Wick and May have shown that when they get a good push from the o-line up front, they make things happen. So really, if the o-line can be anything like it was in 1996, our offense would be rolling with little able to stop it.

Defense though, we show some flashes of stuffing teams pretty well, but then blow it shortly after. I'll give Tormey one more year (unless he goes back to Idaho, which is his alma mater) to see if we improve all around (he does like to blitz, but we've been plagued by injuries all over the defense this year). Blair Burns will be a Senior (has shown to be around the ball a lot and if his hands were a bit stickier, he'd have a lot of ints), Eddie Yarborough will be a Jr (if he can keep doing what he did against UNLV against other teams, he will be a great pass rusher in 2014). Uso Olive also has me excited, and with Hali'api'api patrolling the middle part for support, those two I think will be a pretty good tandem.

But we do need some outside linebackers that can help stop the outside run and short pass, because that has been a real issue for us this year.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Our offense has the ability to score, but we need to get a little more aggressive on the play calling so they reach their potential. We're still in the bottom half of the country for points scored. I think we're in the bottom half of the MWC for that matter. I agree that the D needs to take more risks. We're not getting it done straight up, so we may as well take chances for big plays.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

fromolwyoming wrote:All of our WRs are threats, despite most being shorter than what you normally would use, but they all have good hands. .
They sure do make up for it with their vertical. I swear or WR's have some of the best vertical ability I have ever seen
I'm good for 3!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I think we will be okay on our line play next year. a little young, but we got some big guys coming in even this year that I think could make an immediate impact. Wick and May and even Miller will be even better next year, especially with a better push from the O-line.
Yes, we lose McNeill who has been clutch for us the past two years, but we bring in Sewell. Ans we'll have Herron (healthy again), Rufran (also clutch), Claiborne (Playmaker), and Norman (upswing potential) coming back. Lot's of firepower when it comes to passing.
I see this offense starting up right where they leave off this year and becoming even more successful next year.
Defensively. Injuries, young and inexperienced players killed us. Next year we will have a more experienced D-line with Yarbrough and Olive also in the mix. Our LB's will be more experienced. Api Api I think will be a lot better and will attack the ball more next year, and I think our secondary will be better next year.

I think we will be winning the close ones next year and winning the must wins. I will say we see an overall upswing from this team. I agree with a previous thread that this program is still trending upward. We are almost there.

Attendance has impressed the "HELL" out of me this year! Usually we have one sellout and then two maybe three 20K games and a few games under 19K. This year even with our struggles our fans showed up each and every game. No we didn't have a sellout this year, but that's why I'm impressed. It didn't take a sellout to keep our average over 20K this year. We did have one down game and it had somewhat to do with weather I know and that was Boise. Let's see how our fans turn out to watch this strong push late in the season. I would love to see another 20K there. These guys, especially seniors deserve to go out with a bang.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 38 times

Cornpoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:All of our WRs are threats, despite most being shorter than what you normally would use, but they all have good hands. .
They sure do make up for it with their vertical. I swear or WR's have some of the best vertical ability I have ever seen
Nice green and gold, sissy.
ImageImageImageImage