What to do with the $50K

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
uwaluminidaho
Buckaroo

How about using the $50k to hire some re-evaluation of the program? Do what the rest of the business world does whenever things are going to hell in a hand basket, like the ‘business’ of UW football. They hire a consultant to come in and tell them how they are messed up. There is madness and insanity going on with the UW football program. In short, it’s messed up.
Is it the coach? The OC and/or the DC? The schemes on offense and defense? Lack of quality athletes? Lack of skilled position players? Are theirs bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter than ours? If we are not D1 team, why? Is it everything? Clean house?
We have 4 games left. For those 4 or so weeks, hire Gene Huey, Gary Barnett or a Joe Tiller (I am sure there are consulting firms already in place in the profession that are primed and capable to carry out such an assignment. May be more than $50 K, so be it.) or someone of similar qualifications as a special assistant(s) to the AD to come in and ‘observe only’ the practices, the coaches, the meetings, all the game prep, evaluate some of the key people players and personnel via film and live observations, and be in the coaches booth and wired in at game time. If the current staff doesn’t already know it, these evaluation results will in part determine if they will be here next year or not.
At the end of the season prepare a report to the UW Pres and AD about the state of the program. Do we have the right staff for one? Can UW recruit the right horses for the offensive and defensive schemes? Is the recruiting in the right geographical locales? Can we compete in the new structured MW as it will be next year and after?
Lastly, what is their perception about our future in D1 football? Do we petition the Big Sky or Missouri Valley conferences for slots before they are all taken up? So many questions need to be asked first of all, then answered subjectively without all this tension that is now present. It is a business boys, now run it like one.
Go Pokes, down a different road.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Don't make Wyoming look petty, that 50K absolutely should be going to some veterans' charity.

As far as the rest of the post, I absolutely support the proposition to bring in Joe Tiller as soon as this season ends to help the program transition. Joe doesn't have to stay long (but hopefully thru next year). The players are in the program that fit Joe's offense. Joe has many many contacts in the coaching community and I have full faith that he could bring in an extremely quality staff.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

uwaluminidaho wrote: Do we petition the Big Sky or Missouri Valley conferences for slots before they are all taken up? So many questions need to be asked first of all, then answered subjectively without all this tension that is now present. It is a business boys, now run it like one.
What???????????????????? HELL NO.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote:
uwaluminidaho wrote: Do we petition the Big Sky or Missouri Valley conferences for slots before they are all taken up? So many questions need to be asked first of all, then answered subjectively without all this tension that is now present. It is a business boys, now run it like one.
What???????????????????? HELL NO.
hearing that fcs poop makes me want to kick a puppy

think of the puppies
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Yep, FCS means I'm no longer associating with Cowboys. It'd be over and out. If the team gives up, that means I give up on them.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote:Yep, FCS means I'm no longer associating with Cowboys. It'd be over and out. If the team gives up, that means I give up on them.
+1

BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Funny thing about UW though...We would probably be middle of the road in the Big Sky. We couldn't even WIN the bigsky this year! Cal Poly would be up on us in conference play.
If we did go down to the Big Sky, we would lose out on even more recruits, and have even less money to compete with. Sure the first 2-3 years we would maybe compete for the Big Sky conference championship, but by year 4 we would be a middle of the road Big Sky team. Hoping we can go knock off a Fresno St team every couple of years and lose 42-14 or hope we can go beat an FBS Idaho team and some how pull it off and win by 1 TD in overtime

This team has the makings of a decently competitive Big Sky program.
It sucks. We suck.
We're bad, and we should feel bad.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeachPoke
Ranch Hand

Give it to the Breast cancer.....
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

would 50 grand be enough to get sam elliot to do the voice over for next year's intro video?

JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

With a healthy Brett Smith we would win the Big Sky. With Brett Smith we beat Cal Poly by 2tds. We've been close in all but 3 games....the last two might be more a product of where the season has gone vs. how we would play if the season didn't go south. A win will do wonders...so will winning out.

Go Pokes!!
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

JimmyDimes wrote:With a healthy Brett Smith we would win the Big Sky. With Brett Smith we beat Cal Poly by 2tds. We've been close in all but 3 games....the last two might be more a product of where the season has gone vs. how we would play if the season didn't go south. A win will do wonders...so will winning out.

Go Pokes!!
we move down and brett smith transfers along with any other FBS level talent we have.....bank on it

hell....they wouldn't even lose a year for the transfer because the NCAA wouldn't consider it their fault that the university moved

J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

The extremes the UW fan base goes to are ridiculous.....one minute everyone is talking 10+ wins and possible BCS bowl game after an 8-5 season, the next contemplating going to the Big Sky? I'm still not sure CDC is the answer, but I know moving down to the FCS is, for one unprecedented, and two would kill off Wyoming athletics. Never gonna happen.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

I'd have a Charlie Sheen type party.
W-Y, Until I Die!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

wyosteelerfan wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:With a healthy Brett Smith we would win the Big Sky. With Brett Smith we beat Cal Poly by 2tds. We've been close in all but 3 games....the last two might be more a product of where the season has gone vs. how we would play if the season didn't go south. A win will do wonders...so will winning out.

Go Pokes!!
we move down and brett smith transfers along with any other FBS level talent we have.....bank on it

hell....they wouldn't even lose a year for the transfer because the NCAA wouldn't consider it their fault that the university moved
What FBS talent? I would rather have a good or even dominant FCS team than the poop show FBS team we have.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

SDPokeFan wrote:
wyosteelerfan wrote:

Go Pokes!!

What FBS talent? I would rather have a good or even dominant FCS team than the poop show FBS team we have.
You and all 5 other people who would like Wyoming to move down to FCS.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
wyosteelerfan wrote:

Go Pokes!!

So you would honestly rather have a 1-11 or 2-10 FBS team than a national championship FCS team? Really?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 106 times

SDPokeFan wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
wyosteelerfan wrote:

Go Pokes!!

So you would honestly rather have a 1-11 or 2-10 FBS team than a national championship FCS team? Really?
Yes really. Do I like how the team is doing this season? No, but I DO like the fact that we play the best competition in the country every season. Also, up until this season we have beaten every single FCS team that we have played, including 3 teams coming off of FCS championships!

You may be alright with settling for mediocrity, but I for one would rather see us fight our way back to the top!
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

SDPokeFan wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
wyosteelerfan wrote:

Go Pokes!!

If we were 1-11 and 2-10 year after year then you might have a point. Have you forgotten we were 8-4 just last year?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

COS Cowboy wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
wyosteelerfan wrote:

Go Pokes!!

If we were 1-11 and 2-10 year after year then you might have a point. Have you forgotten we were 8-4 just last year?
I have to chime in here, Take the 4 games we won last season by less than 7 points and turn them into losses. We will be sitting exactly where we are right now. We had seniors that produced turnovers and they made the team 8-5 not the coaching staff or anyone else.

Any Football team can be lucky and win based on turnovers that is what we did last season. We didn't win by being out coached we won by getting lucky it's now time we all sit back and realize we were lucky or this would be the 3rd season @ 50% or less on the wins.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyo2dal wrote:
COS Cowboy wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
wyosteelerfan wrote:

Go Pokes!!

I have to chime in here, Take the 4 games we won last season by less than 7 points and turn them into losses. We will be sitting exactly where we are right now. We had seniors that produced turnovers and they made the team 8-5 not the coaching staff or anyone else.

Any Football team can be lucky and win based on turnovers that is what we did last season. We didn't win by being out coached we won by getting lucky it's now time we all sit back and realize we were lucky or this would be the 3rd season @ 50% or less on the wins.
However, you can't claim that we were lucky to get to 8 wins last year and not also make the claim that we have been unluck this year in a number of our loses. The knife cuts both ways. If we were lucky last year i would say its pretty obvious we were unlucky this year. If we are what our records say we are then last year we were an 8 win team and this year so far we are a 1 win team.