Mixed feelings on this whole mess...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

I am a Wyoming fan, first and foremost. Have been for years. Coaches come & go, players come & go, AD's come and go. Wyoming...does not. I honestly could care less who the coaches are, who the AD is, or even who the players are, as long as there is winning going on. Sure I have had my favorite players, favorite coaches, and favorite AD's...but they all move on, while Wyoming is still Wyoming.

That being said, I am very mixed on this whole mess of a football season. Part of me says it is time for a change, and part of me says it is time to cowboy up and increase my support. I can see sides to both. Bottom line is, what is best for Wyoming? Is it best to stay the course, or to make a change? Both have positives and negatives. Damn.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
AfiPoke
Cowpoke

It's a dilemma for sure.

We want stability but, are impatient for success.

Someone who knows how to start a poll thread ought to put this out there:

What is more important to you?

1) A coach that can come in and win right away, get us to a major bowl, and then leaves for greener pastures (ala Urban Meyer)?

2) A coach that comes in, keeps us above .500 each year, occasionally challenges for the conference championship but, who stays with the program long term?

It would be interesting to see what Pokenation thinks is the right choice (and why?).
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

McPeachy wrote:I am a Wyoming fan, first and foremost. Have been for years. Coaches come & go, players come & go, AD's come and go. Wyoming...does not. I honestly could care less who the coaches are, who the AD is, or even who the players are, as long as there is winning going on. Sure I have had my favorite players, favorite coaches, and favorite AD's...but they all move on, while Wyoming is still Wyoming.

That being said, I am very mixed on this whole mess of a football season. Part of me says it is time for a change, and part of me says it is time to cowboy up and increase my support. I can see sides to both. Bottom line is, what is best for Wyoming? Is it best to stay the course, or to make a change? Both have positives and negatives. Damn.
I know how you feel.

Stay the course? DC's rant made national headlines thanks to Air Force, and it will impact recruiting and many other things that are vital to the program. How it will impact, it's still too early to say, but it has. I think DC has otherwise done a really good job recruiting (more so than his predecessors since Tiller) and has finally put most of the the players for his offensive scheme's together. He's shown he wants to win, and has stated his goals are BCS bowls. He's also shown that while he will give players a few chances, if they break the rules 3 times, they're out. No matter what position they play. As for his rant against Calhoun, I know for for damn sure I would have been worse than calling him "Howdy Doody", which seems oddly appropiate for some reason, and just saying "f-word you!" and "wooooo!" a whole lot, and the same goes for probably the vast majority of people on here.

Change it up? As already said, the rant has impacted the program but too early to really see how much, but one recruit has already said no because of the rant. Since being here, DC has also shown some questionable play calling (like the UNR game, he decided to punt the ball rather than run it for the 1st on a 4th and short to win the game) that has either cot us games or almost cost us games. The bad thing about changing it up would be that we would most likely be looking at, once again, having to rebuild to accomadate to the new HC's schemes, which would take probably 2 years minimum.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I understand the concerns. I don't want to rebuild again either. But from everything I am hearing DC's attitude is hurting our recruiting after the video and he is disenfranchising donors. We cannot compete with either of these issues.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

Agreed with everything thus far. And how many times are we going to "rebuild?" The popular catch phrase that is getting old. As fans, we are tired of "rebuilding." Good gosh. When can Wyo win again. Every year it seems like we are saying the same thing.

"Maybe next year"

DC is recruiting good athletes. This is what is making this so difficult to me.

I have been blown away at this year and how it has gone. Deja vu year after from the NM Bowl year. Comes back the next year and suck. So up and down.

If any of you have Twitter, it has a lot of info on there. Sutton missing practive, and tweeting about it. Douchebag.
However, lots of current and former players have chimed in. I will past some of them for those who do not have a Twitter account.

Tashaun Gibson: "Ima proud alum of WYOMING COWBOYS! Have a great deal of respect for Coach GRINCH! Besides that, MY COACH IS JOE GLENN! #justbeinghonest

Mitch Unrein: When asked "what do you think of the suspension of coach Christensen? Not sure I agree with it. Integrity is a dying value." His response was "I don't agree with it. I liked his emotion and his fight tho. That loss was a hard one to take, for very Cowboy fan.

Later Unrein said on his Twitter, "@KoachC. Everyone is still behind you! Keep fighting Cowboys! WYO Nation forever! #GoPokes"

Dave Christensen twitter yesterday "I spoke to Troy Calhoun today and apologized to him. Feel good about our visit. Miss my Cowboys, know I'll be proud of them Sat. Go Pokes"

Zack Bolger "Ok ESPN..enough!! I am never going to respect Jamelle Hill's opinion on anything. #ratherwatchpaintdry"

Ghaali Muhammad: "Despite all adversity I will always fight for my bros! #fact"

Rob Herron: "I can say I like a challenge."

This is black eye for the Univ, no doubt. It will hurt us. But i am still torn on a new coach yet or not.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 38 times

An interesting tweet I saw this morning was from ACS who said, "So glad I transferred."
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:An interesting tweet I saw this morning was from ACS who said, "So glad I transferred."
Austyn Cum Sucker still hammering the program? :lol:

In all seriousness, he does look like the smart one....
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote:An interesting tweet I saw this morning was from ACS who said, "So glad I transferred."
We could have used ACS this year with Smith getting hurt. But he'd still be a backup, so I'm sure he's glad.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote: We could have used ACS this year with Smith getting hurt. But he'd still be a backup, so I'm sure he's glad.
Adam Pittser isn't starting at Illinois State either.....
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

J-Rod wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote: We could have used ACS this year with Smith getting hurt. But he'd still be a backup, so I'm sure he's glad.
He hasn't even taken a snap this season. Looks like that opportunity is sure paying off...
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

J-Rod wrote:
Austyn Cum Sucker still hammering the program? :lol:

In all seriousness, he does look like the smart one....
I just told ACS we miss him too. Brett smith could use a good backup.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

AfiPoke wrote:It's a dilemma for sure.

1) A coach that can come in and win right away, get us to a major bowl, and then leaves for greener pastures (ala Urban Meyer)?

2) A coach that comes in, keeps us above .500 each year, occasionally challenges for the conference championship but, who stays with the program long term?

It would be interesting to see what Pokenation thinks is the right choice (and why?).
Seems to be we can't get either. Maybe it's just impossible to win at Wyoming anymore.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

SDPokeFan wrote:
AfiPoke wrote:It's a dilemma for sure.

Seems to be we can't get either. Maybe it's just impossible to win at Wyoming anymore.
Wonder if the fans at Auburn are saying the same thing with the same record? Or the fans at Tennessee? Every team will go through peaks and valleys through the years. Unfortunately , we are seeing this every other year and the peaks are really just hills. But, there is no reason to think we can't climb to the top again.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

SDPokeFan wrote:Seems to be we can't get either. Maybe it's just impossible to win at Wyoming anymore.
Spoken like a true fan. A true fan of CSewe. Maybe your MB name should be SDRamFan. ;)
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

WYO1016 wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
He hasn't even taken a snap this season. Looks like that opportunity is sure paying off...
It's going exactly like he said it would, he'll be close to friends and family that will be able to see him play and he hopes to take over the starting duties when the returning senior starting QB graduates. Better to start 3 years than watch Brett for 4 and hope to start your 5th.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

McPeachy wrote:I am a Wyoming fan, first and foremost. Have been for years. Coaches come & go, players come & go, AD's come and go. Wyoming...does not. I honestly could care less who the coaches are, who the AD is, or even who the players are, as long as there is winning going on. Sure I have had my favorite players, favorite coaches, and favorite AD's...but they all move on, while Wyoming is still Wyoming.

You summed it up for me, as I've had a hard time trying to identify how I was to feel and think about this whole thing. So thanks for the help!! Going to Boise St myself sure hope more have the same feelings!!!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

It's damn tough to be a Cowboy fan.

For me, I guess my loyalty to Wyoming is unshakable. I'll shower support to the point the losing coaches, lapsing AD's, and selfish athletes can't look me in the eye, and I'll remind them as often as I can that I'm here while the selfless, passionate, and competent can pass on their ways unbothered, save for the occasional, sincere, "thanks for being great". I'll be so vocal they'll hear me, but so supportive they can't ignore me. I'll criticize thoughtfully, sometimes obliquely, and, when needed, forcefully. I'll express hopes as vision, accept the stumbles and foibles of humans, and show little tolerance for the failure of a team. I'll be the quiet fan, loyal to the end, who expects nothing more than a smile and a "thanks" for the season ticket renewal, and the agent of decision, delivering guilt with every scholarship donation. I'll be the fan and native son UW knows they can turn to, and leave it to them whether they do so with the grin of the victor or hat-in-hand. I'll be a Cowboy to the end, because, while coaches, A.D.'s, and players will come and go, Wyoming will always be a part of me.

Whether Wyoming has more wins or losses in my tenure on this mortal coil, when my time is done, I'll have experienced the highs of unlikely victory, the depths of our foes' fleeting mockery, and, probably, the disappointment of unrequited vision.

But, in the end, I'll be one of very few who will always and truly be, Cowboy tough.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

I wish this would just all blow over. I really think we are a healthy Brett Smith (damn you Toledo!) away from this never happening and on our way to at least a meager bowl game. Uh, Bobby Knight wasn't a media darling and lots of schools wanted him after he left Indiana. Mike Leach was lynched by ESPN and schools still wanted him. I really think Dave learned his lesson to keep his cool, and I seriously doubt we could find another coach that took over the team he did and turn it into a bowl winner in one season like he did. Not only that, he did it in a season when we had what was probably the toughest schedule in UW football history.

DC deserves the chance to win the games we would have won this year if only Brett Smith hadn't been hurt.

Broken record, but I still really think we would be 5-2 if Brett finished the 4 games he didn't.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!