Brett's Situation

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

He very obviously played timid tonight compared to his usual self (sliding, choosing to throw more balls away, etc). With his history of concussions, that is of course the smart thing to do. What I worry about is that what makes (or made) him a great player was his fearlessness and the fact that he fought for every yard at all times. With that aspect of his game gone, what happens?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Hard to say. He has to keep himself healthy, that's always #1 priority. However, like other injuries, there may be that involuntary reaction that would make him more hesitant to take hits or really push himself like he had been. Hopefully, he was just being careful tonight.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

All depends on what you are playing for. Dive and take a head on when down 35 points? If we were 5-1 and down seven, he takes the d back on.

I think the timidness will wear off. Unfortunately, it won't be until 2013.
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

There's a difference between playing timid and playing smart. The statement by djm19 about him sliding sounds right to me, if we are in that game at the time that run happens, and we needed that first down to keep the drive alive in order to tie up the game or something my money says Smith wouldn't have slid. Plus I don't see how throwing the ball away is a bad thing. He extended the play almost every down because he was running for his life, what's the alternative to throwing it away when no one is open? Throwing it up for grabs and praying something good happens? I seem to remember people being furious about him doing that last year. I thought him throwing it away was a positive. To me it showed maturity as a passer.
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

What happens is Thompson will get a lot more playing time.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Brett's a tough player, and a very good one when healthy. But its clear this injury has taken its toll. JMHO, if you're not gonna let him loose and play all out, then don't put his health in jeopardy. This season is shot already, just play Thompson and let Brett heal up both physically and mentally.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

We will see split QB's with Thompson and Smith, I think this is unfortunately a poop way to learn a good lesson. CDC probably came to the realization that Kirk was never ready to play because he never got the chance to play. When we needed a backup we never had one next season we will have a backup ready to come in for any situation.

This season is done there is no reason for Smith to put his health on the line, If we see another win this year it will be the Border War. We always prepare and show up for that game. We haven't shown up with the same Offense and Defense motivation in back to back games all year.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote:He very obviously played timid tonight compared to his usual self (sliding, choosing to throw more balls away, etc). With his history of concussions, that is of course the smart thing to do. What I worry about is that what makes (or made) him a great player was his fearlessness and the fact that he fought for every yard at all times. With that aspect of his game gone, what happens?
He fits in as a mediocre player on a roster full of them?