Fire Tom Burman

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
thirtyseven
Ranch Hand

YankPoke wrote:
thirtyseven wrote:Just stop complaining about Burman already. Every time we have a bad game it is the Fire Burman Brigade!

Has he been the best no but has he been terrible no!

This hire will determine a lot. We all know if the next football coach isn't successful and if Shyatt isn't over the next few years then you will all get what you want and Burman will be gone. If the new football coach does well and Shyatt does too which I think he will then will you give Burman some credit or still want him fired?
+1 he isn't a great AD, but there sure are worse. He also has one of the toughest jobs in the nation. He has made one terrible hire, one hire that looked fantastic, but didn't pan out in the end, and he lost a coach to a bigger school. He has at least done a good job upgrading the facilities, with the next being the AA. This football hire is huge for him, if he gets it right it will save his job, if not we could be looking for a new AD in four to five years.
+1
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

YankPoke wrote:
thirtyseven wrote:Just stop complaining about Burman already. Every time we have a bad game it is the Fire Burman Brigade!

This hire will determine a lot. We all know if the next football coach isn't successful and if Shyatt isn't over the next few years then you will all get what you want and Burman will be gone. If the new football coach does well and Shyatt does too which I think he will then will you give Burman some credit or still want him fired?
+1 he isn't a great AD, but there sure are worse. He also has one of the toughest jobs in the nation. He has made one terrible hire, one hire that looked fantastic, but didn't pan out in the end, and he lost a coach to a bigger school. He has at least done a good job upgrading the facilities, with the next being the AA. This football hire is huge for him, if he gets it right it will save his job, if not we could be looking for a new AD in four to five years.
37 and Yank...I disagree. I don't think we could do worse (or have done worse at the time) than Burman. He has dummied down that department so far, that it may never see light again.

Barbara Burke (former assistant under Gary Barta) would run laps & miles around Tom Burman as an AD...too bad the good 'ol boys club passed her up and hired Burman. We couldn't have made a worse decision than hiring this "Wyoming Guy" Burman.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9912
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
YankPoke
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote:
YankPoke wrote:

37 and Yank...I disagree. I don't think we could do worse (or have done worse at the time) than Burman. He has dummied down that department so far, that it may never see light again.

Barbara Burke (former assistant under Gary Barta) would run laps & miles around Tom Burman as an AD...too bad the good 'ol boys club passed her up and hired Burman. We couldn't have made a worse decision than hiring this "Wyoming Guy" Burman.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9912
I have seen much worse ADs than Burman, I would consider him middle of the pack as far as an AD goes. Could we do better, you bet, but we could also do worse. His fate is tied to this coaching hire though.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

I guess if you are OK with mediocrity he's sort of OK ...could do worse

Yep, thats some high praise right there
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

YankPoke wrote:I have seen much worse ADs than Burman, I would consider him middle of the pack as far as an AD goes. Could we do better, you bet, but we could also do worse. His fate is tied to this coaching hire though.
True, we could have somebody like Obama as our AD (I am kidding all you left-wingers) :rofl:

I guess we should talk about what "worse" means also. Like I think Burman is better in a lot of ways than Lee Moon - but then again, he is worse in a lot of ways also!
Dear Karma,

BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

To me the AD should be judged mostly off of football and mens hoops.
Then upgrades, fan support, and all other sports after that.

Some people just want to see winning across the board in all sports.

Some people just want to see upgrades.

Everyone has their own opinions. I would be happy with Burman if we win a MWC title in hoops in the next two seasons (regular or MWC Tourney) and go to the big dance.
AND, get Tedford, and win a MWC title within 3 years.

He has done "enough" with upgrades to satisfy that part of me. We have good wrestling and womens hoops which is cool, so he's got that part "okay".

Just win some MWC titles!
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
thirtyseven
Ranch Hand

For all of you who want Burman gone let me ask the same question I asked when you probably were calling for the firing of McClain

"WHO ARE YOU GOING TO GET?"

How will they be better and why?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote:To me the AD should be judged mostly off of football and mens hoops.
Then upgrades, fan support, and all other sports after that.

Some people just want to see winning across the board in all sports.

Some people just want to see upgrades.

Everyone has their own opinions. I would be happy with Burman if we win a MWC title in hoops in the next two seasons (regular or MWC Tourney) and go to the big dance.
AND, get Tedford, and win a MWC title within 3 years.

He has done "enough" with upgrades to satisfy that part of me. We have good wrestling and womens hoops which is cool, so he's got that part "okay".

Just win some MWC titles!
My retort...

Burman didn't hire Legerski (that was Moon). Burman didn't hire Shyatt (that was done by committee). Burman has nothing on the books as far as facility upgrades either (that was done by previous AD(s) and previous presidents (Dubois mainly) & a different group of BOT's. Wrestling - I will certainly give Burman that hire, but how the f-word could he miss??? There was a very shallow pool, and there was a huge fat guy with a finger sign pointing toward Branch. Don't get me started on the soccer program, the golf program, the volleyball program & debacle, or the tennis program. And we all know he jacked both men's hoops and football - TWICE - including extensions. He needs to go.

And to answer the inquiry from 37 - UW needs to follow the model that brought in Gary Barta. Go get the #2 guy, at a top tier athletic institution. I mentioned weeks ago, several times, Michael Alford from Oklahoma would be a good choice, below is the link:

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle ... =208803515
Dear Karma,

BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Fair enough Peaches.

I'm definitely not a Tom Burman fan, just saying if we do start winning MWC titles, then I would be.
Pretty much, I would be a fan of anyone who is winning MWC titles at Wyo.

Oh, and who ever gets D1 baseball to Wyo!
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
YankPoke
Cowpoke

I agree with you Peach, I am just saying he isn't the worst thing we could have at AD. I am giving him this hire before I pass judgement on him as an AD, while also letting Shyatt play out. I also wanted to say that Christensen was also hired by committee, so he gets just as much credit for getting Shyatt as blame for DC. Hopefully he proves all of us wrong with a big hire.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

YankPoke wrote:Hopefully he proves all of us wrong with a big hire.
Agreed.

Not sure I could ever forgive him for Schroyer gate though. I may hold that grudge forever. :twisted:
Dear Karma,

YankPoke
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote:
YankPoke wrote:Hopefully he proves all of us wrong with a big hire.
Agreed.

Not sure I could ever forgive him for Schroyer gate though. I may hold that grudge forever. :twisted:
Fair enough, that was a very bad decision. I was lucky to not be following UW as much as I have been the last 5 years since I decided I would come here, but that was a terrible decision.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

YankPoke wrote:Fair enough, that was a very bad decision. I was lucky to not be following UW as much as I have been the last 5 years since I decided I would come here, but that was a terrible decision.
It was ugly. VERY ugly. Borderline nepotistic, and the extension - that cost UW hundreds of thousands, should have been Tom's career ender at UW. The wives (Kim & Kathy) were even seen having words (which I thought was hilarious honestly).
Dear Karma,

WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

Burman is a big part of this problem. Wasn't qualified when he was hired (unless you count family connections) and has wasted years and years of opportunities for excellence.
"Could have been worse" or "Could be worse" are the best things anyone to say about him. Meanwhile...he is out chasing down a coach that understands we are who we are
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

When we select a Spack or Gilmore, I know your sentiments will change.
In the meantime, hoping Shyatt and Company stay healthy.
Tom is out of his league, and the next FB hire will cement his legacy. I hope I'm wrong, but will await the results.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Most incompetent AD in all of D-1 football if it wasnt so sad it would be funny
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.