Wyoming @ Nevada - GTS

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

GTS = Guess The Score

Nevada can score.....a lot. Their defense has been below average this year, but they aren't in the Hawaii/Wyoming zone just yet. Wyoming's lack of a running game may become a big deal for the Wyoming Brett Smith's. I think UW scores, but doesn't put up the numbers they put up in regulation against Idaho (34 points). Nevada has their way with the hapless front 7 of UW.

Predictin: Wyoming 28, Nevada 52
wyoforlife
Buckaroo

Idk, the stats for both defenses are pretty close, we give up around 25 more yards a game than UNR does. Nevada has had a few close games...had Smith played the remainder of the Toledo game, and Cal Poly, we'd be sitting at identical records. Their secondary is horrible, which bodes well for the Pokes, the passing game has been our bread and butter this year. In total defense, UNR is ranked 83 with 5 games, and UW is 97 with 4. Aside from them having home field advantage, I don't see any advantage they have over us, with the exception of their RB.

Pokes come in rested, focused, and healthy...Pokes route the Pack 45-38
"They're a bunch of jealous little dicks who use the anonymity of the internet to insult people who're doing what they wish they were doing." ~ Holden McNeil
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

51-47, 'Pokes.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

If the staff figures out how to get the o-line to getting a good push for the running game, I'll call it a shootout. If not, it may look like the USU game from last year. But if the defense could come down and stop the run, if nothing else, it'll limit UNR's offense, because they rely heavily on the run. They can pass, but it's not their bread and butter though.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

I'm stuck between going completely faith filled homer....or a realist.

I want so bad to think UW can win this game. I'm just not seeing how. Our d made Idaho look like a perennial powerhouse. I dunno, I can just see our doors blown off.

So, with it is utter depression I say UNR 41-21
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Wyoming 2
Nevada 0
:D
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

All indications that both teams in the 30's. Nevada the high 30's. The Pokes the low 30's.
BeachPoke
Ranch Hand

I say the D gets a little #%$@ chewing by the coaching staff and comes out of the shell. We get a little better running game this week and Smith to----Herron,McNeil,Rufran & Claiborne all day long..

WY 38
NV 28
The Virginian
Cowpoke

Cowboys win by 7 on a last-minute fourth quarter drive engineered by Brett Smith.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

I have yet to gain any confidence in this year's program.

On one side, you could say - we were within 7 points of being 3 & 1 (3 point loss to Toledo and 2 point loss to Poly).

On the other side, you could say - how did we even let the above happen...and that statistically we have gotten our asses kicked this year regardless.

That "extra week of practice" basically was a four day weekend for the team...so my head says:

Nevada 62
Wyoming 20

And that sucks.
Last edited by McPeachy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

48-27 bad guys
W-Y, Until I Die!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

38-35 Wyoming wins and also wins the turnover battle. Here's to my optimism :) prove me right pokes!
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

We use the extra week to develope a redzone defense and hold them to 11 field goals.... Pokes win 35 to 33.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
wyopig
Ranch Hand

How do people seriously think Wyoming is not going to be able to score in bunches against these guys? Their defense is worse than Wyoming's. Their pass defense is the weakest part of their defense. A piss poor FCS school went up and down the field against Nevada. Cal Poly, outside of 2 plays in the first 5 minutes of the game, did very little against Wyoming, and they're a better FCS program than the team that racked up nearly 600 yards against the Wolfpack. Our Cal Poly debacle is more of a reflection on a poop offensive game plan with a back-up QB than poor defense.

I'm not sticking up for Wyoming's defense here. They're not good, and they're probably going to give up a lot of points on Saturday. I just can't handle people predicting that we'll only score 20 points on these guys and that we don't have a chance against them. That's poop! Our offense is every bit as dangerous and their defense is every bit as bad.

If you have to find a bright spot to Wyoming's 1-3 record right now, it's that we can actually sneak up on Nevada this week. I'm sure their coaching staff knows full well how dangerous Wyoming can be, but there's no way their players actually respect us. They'll dismiss the coaches' warnings as typical coach-speak, and go into the game thinking they're going to kick our ass. They've never played Wyoming, Wyoming has a poop record, and Wyoming lost to an FCS school...so in their minds, this won't be much different than lining up against a New Mexico State or Idaho type team.

Brett Smith is going to tear these guys a new one. I just hope the defense can rise to the occasion. This game is going to come down to who wins the turnover battle, because there won't be very many punts. Wyoming wins 58-55.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

wyopig wrote:How do people seriously think Wyoming is not going to be able to score in bunches against these guys? Their defense is worse than Wyoming's. Their pass defense is the weakest part of their defense. A piss poor FCS school went up and down the field against Nevada. Cal Poly, outside of 2 plays in the first 5 minutes of the game, did very little against Wyoming, and they're a better FCS program than the team that racked up nearly 600 yards against the Wolfpack. Our Cal Poly debacle is more of a reflection on a poop offensive game plan with a back-up QB than poor defense.

I'm not sticking up for Wyoming's defense here. They're not good, and they're probably going to give up a lot of points on Saturday. I just can't handle people predicting that we'll only score 20 points on these guys and that we don't have a chance against them. That's poop! Our offense is every bit as dangerous and their defense is every bit as bad.

If you have to find a bright spot to Wyoming's 1-3 record right now, it's that we can actually sneak up on Nevada this week. I'm sure their coaching staff knows full well how dangerous Wyoming can be, but there's no way their players actually respect us. They'll dismiss the coaches' warnings as typical coach-speak, and go into the game thinking they're going to kick our ass. They've never played Wyoming, Wyoming has a poop record, and Wyoming lost to an FCS school...so in their minds, this won't be much different than lining up against a New Mexico State or Idaho type team.

Brett Smith is going to tear these guys a new one. I just hope the defense can rise to the occasion. This game is going to come down to who wins the turnover battle, because there won't be very many punts. Wyoming wins 58-55.
The difference is, is that UNR's o-line actually does what an o-line should.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times

I'm going to go out on a limb here which is absurd considering how Wyoming has looked in a couple of games but I think Wyoming wins this week.

This will be the first game since Texas that Wyoming is fully healthy again and has Brett Smith and Robert Herron back together on offense and we get some defensive guys back as well that have been banged up.

Nevada's pass defense is terrible and even if it were decent I don't see how they cover Brett Smith throwing to Chris Mcneil, Robert Herron, Jalen Claiborne and Dominic Rufran. Wyoming is going to have receivers wide open all day long. Adding Herron back into the mix is going to be a lot bigger than many realize. Wyoming will put up atleast numbers in the mid 40's scoring wise. I won't be surprised if we put up 50 or more.

Yeah I know our defense has been terrible against the run and Nevada can score in bunches as well. The key on defense will be to play like they did against Texas. Having two weeks prep time should help somewhat.

I'm calling it now: Wyoming 48 Nevada 42. Pokes win in a shootout!

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
wyopig
Ranch Hand

fromolwyoming wrote: The difference is, is that UNR's o-line actually does what an o-line should.
And that help's Nevada's poop defense how? Your post points to nothing and makes absolutely zero sense.

I didn't say Wyoming would shut Nevada down. I said that Wyoming could very well outscore Nevada. While this may be the best offense Wyoming has faced to date, it is without question the best offense Nevada has faced all year...by a long margin.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

wyopig wrote: And that help's Nevada's poop defense how? Your post points to nothing and makes absolutely zero sense.

I didn't say Wyoming would shut Nevada down. I said that Wyoming could very well outscore Nevada. While this may be the best offense Wyoming has faced to date, it is without question the best offense Nevada has faced all year...by a long margin.
Without question? Wyoming has had no running game all season long and the O-Line has Smith running for his life on almost every play. Brett Smith might be the best player Nevada has seen to date, but the best offense? That's quite a distortion of reality.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Before we all dog Nevada's defense too much, remember they did contain the California passing attack, which is led by the offensive genius that is Markus Arroyo.

Seriously though, I will copy someone from a couple weeks ago who predicted the winner of the Wyo/Idaho game would be whoever has the ball last. I don't think we can stop them and I hope that they can't stop us. Final score, 52-49. Winner, whoever has the ball last. If I had the balls to bet this game, I'd take Wyoming and all those points.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times

cowboyz wrote:Before we all dog Nevada's defense too much, remember they did contain the California passing attack, which is led by the offensive genius that is Markus Arroyo.

Seriously though, I will copy someone from a couple weeks ago who predicted the winner of the Wyo/Idaho game would be whoever has the ball last. I don't think we can stop them and I hope that they can't stop us. Final score, 52-49. Winner, whoever has the ball last. If I had the balls to bet this game, I'd take Wyoming and all those points.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but Cal has one of the worst QB's in the country. Maynard is terrible.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….