Pokes too content after Texas game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

While I was pleased with some things in Saturday's game at Texas, I felt that there were way too many things that were troublesome enough that it makes me a little disappointed to read the quotes out of Robert Gagliardi's game story in the Tribune-Eagle Sunday. Even Gags threw in a dig of his own at the seemingly way too content comments being proffered by some Pokes players -- particularly the defensive personnel.

While I didn't expect the Cowboys to win, I did want to see an improvement in not only the run defense, but in overall wrapping up and tackling as well.

The special teams were horrendous and it bordered on embarrassing all game long.

In addition, this team needs to find a consistent running game stat -- and if they don't soon enough then they oughta consider putting Ghaali Muhammad back on the offensive side of the ball.

The offensive line was okay and when Smith had time to throw he hit on some passes and our talent at that position speaks volumes.

Overall I was looking for a more angry and ornery team following that game in Austin -- and they better get the whip thrown at em in practice this week or Toledo will come in to Laramie and spoil the home opening party.
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

I disagree with this statement. I also don't think team morale is an issue going into the Toledo game. If we were to lose to Toledo it sure as hell wouldn't be because of any mental spillover from last week. It would be because we either couldn't execute, or our D couldn't stop them. The Texas game is over and done, we did some good things, we did some bad things, but it's done. The team is focused/hungry and ready for a hard week of practice. There is no way DC would let them dwell on the things they did well in the Texas game, every week is a new opponent, what happened the week prior is irrelevant.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Roger that.

You missed the entire point of my missive.

That's okay.

In addition it wasn't a statement, it was an analysis as I saw last week's game...by the way you disagree with what exactly?

You disagree that Wyoming was run on again for major-major yards?

You disagree that the tackling was suspect far too many times?

You disagree that the KO return game was pathetic?

Or do you disagree that the comments following the game were not disappointing?

Try to be a tad bit more specific instead of giving me some glossy answer where you seem to be indicating a rose colored glasses approach to the situation -- the POKES did not play well last weekend...and to beat a very game Toledo team they will need to execute better and not turn the ball over, and establish a run, as well as stop the run, and tackle effectively.

Or do you disagree with that 'statement' too?

Good grief.
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

Everything you just stated I agree with. Obviously they ran it down our throats. Obviously our special teams was horrendous. Obviously we had trouble wrapping up and making tackles. I have no disagreement with that. I was saying that I disagreed with the statement that Wyoming was too content with a loss just because we did some things well. I took your whole first post as saying that the Wyoming players weren't holding themselves accountable because of the caliber of their opponent.

"Overall I was looking for a more angry and ornery team following that game in Austin -- and they better get the whip thrown at em in practice this week or Toledo will come in to Laramie and spoil the home opening party."

That quote right there. I took that as you saying that they weren't angry enough after the game, and that in turn was going to affect their work ethic for the game against Toledo.

You have a radio show or some poop right? If that's the case I figured you'd be able to handle it if someone challenged you on something you said/posted because they didn't agree with you. I also thought you'd be less quick to jump on the defensive if it was a question of misunderstanding your overall intent of the post. Glossy enough for you?
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

You disagree that Wyoming was run on again for major-major yards?
Wyoming was run again for major yards. However, we weren't the only team in the MW to give up 210 + yards on the ground. Boise State was also victimized by a 235 pound + tailback with legit speed (BSU is likely the best Defense in MW). I am not sure if our run defense is that bad, since I believe defending a 235 pound back with speed is the hardest thing to defend in college football. Our interior line (especially Purcell) seemed to do well against the run for the most part (1st half anyways), but it is hard to defend the run when the edge is set so well.

I think we will know where we stand next week against Toledo.

Special teams seemed more concerning than the run defense to me.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Yeah right, a radio show...or some poop like that.

Exactly.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

I'm glad that the coaches are pleased with the direction the team is headed, but I agree that there should have been some more fire in the post game press conferences. Your goal every game should be to win, not just to put up a decent effort.

Special teams play was unforgivable this game, especially the punting game. Coach Ross needs to light a fire under his punters ass and make the kid realize that he needs to be better. Ross should also be irate with the way the line blocked for extra points and field goals. Bottom line, special teams will win or lose the game for you.

Run defense is also still a work in progress. I'm glad to see that Texas couldn't run it up the gut, but the outside run defense was brutal.

I was happy to see that Brett Smith was pissed about that floater of an interception he threw. The kid is a competitor, and seems to learn from his mistakes. It will be good to see the adjustments that he makes.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

WYO1016 wrote:I'm glad that the coaches are pleased with the direction the team is headed, but I agree that there should have been some more fire in the post game press conferences. Your goal every game should be to win, not just to put up a decent effort.

Special teams play was unforgivable this game, especially the punting game. Coach Ross needs to light a fire under his punters ass and make the kid realize that he needs to be better. Ross should also be irate with the way the line blocked for extra points and field goals. Bottom line, special teams will win or lose the game for you.

Run defense is also still a work in progress. I'm glad to see that Texas couldn't run it up the gut, but the outside run defense was brutal.

I was happy to see that Brett Smith was pissed about that floater of an interception he threw. The kid is a competitor, and seems to learn from his mistakes. It will be good to see the adjustments that he makes.
I like your take.

Lets put an ass whoopin' on Toledo and have some big fun this Saturday.
wyoforlife
Buckaroo

The Pokes will come out and lay waste to the Rockets...book it. Their game in Arizona was absolutely pathetic, it was like watching the Rocky Mountain Showdown this year, both teams looked like poop.

Now that's done, I think we'll see a marked improvement this week, we're not playing Texas again. Coach C is on record saying that Gleason needs to make those punts, or he'll find someone who will. I expect this to be a breakout game for Wick, we won't face a front 7 like Texas again this year. Burns is the real deal, and say what you will about Ruff, he's one football smart SOB, and a damn fine player. Toledo will be locked on to Herron, I dont see any long extended plays from him this weekend, but I expect McNeill to have a good game.

450+ yards offense for the Pokes, plus two takeaways
310 yards for Toledo

Pokes win 35-14
"They're a bunch of jealous little dicks who use the anonymity of the internet to insult people who're doing what they wish they were doing." ~ Holden McNeil
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

DINOCOSTA wrote:Lets put an ass whoopin' on Toledo and have some big fun this Saturday.
+1

GO POKES!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Man I like that Dino comes on here and really stirs the pot, this is truly as season for excitement and fun and something we haven't have in many many years....GO POKES
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

WYO'S tackling has been hit or miss for many many years, I thought once we got rid of Marty English this would change but I have always said too much arm tackling, maybe they are afraid of getting hurt and not being able to perform for their girlfriend's after the game's over??? And Punting, man we need a punter with a Rocket foot for a change! I think we'll be alright against Toledo, but hopefully we see leaps and bounds better performance over a decent showing last week!!!