Cowboys Name Team Captains (Boomerang)

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

From the Laramie Boomerang

Cowboys name team captains

By Bob Hammond
Boomerang Sports Editor

The Wyoming football Cowboys have spoken.

In a team meeting Sunday night in the Rochelle Athletics Center, the UW players elected seniors Wade Betschart, Sean Claffey and Michael Medina and junior Devin Moore as team captains for the 2007 season.

“I purposely wait until fall camp is pretty much over so the kids can get a feel for who the leaders are and where the leadership is coming from on the team,” said fifth-year Wyoming coach Joe Glenn.

Glenn and his staff ask each player to vote for two guys. If just two players get the majority of the votes, then the Cowboys have co-captains. If the votes are split among several players, the number of captains increases depending on the voting.

“If I had done the voting, I would have picked the same four guys … maybe a couple of more,” Glenn said. “We have a lot of captains on this team … a lot of leadership.”

This year marks the seventh time in school history that the Wyoming football team will have four captains.

Betschart is a tight end from Torrington and a preseason All-Mountain West Conference pick, while Claffey is a senior outside linebacker who recorded 37 tackles last season. Medina is a senior cornerback who had 31 tackles and seven pass breakups last season, and Moore a junior running back who rushed for 574 yards and three touchdowns while averaging 7.2 yards per carry.

“Those four guys bring a little bit of everything,” Glenn said. “Wade Betschart certainly brings a toughness. He’s a Wyoming guy, and a Cowboy in more ways than one. Devin Moore is a spirited fighter and a vocal leader. Mike Medina is just has tremendous presence. The kids look to him not only for leadership but how things are done. And Sean Claffey is the workman — like Jim Braddock “

“I have to say this is the neatest combination of captains I’ve ever had,” Glenn added.

The four Cowboy captains will be joined each week by a special teams captain. The special teams captain for the Virginia game is senior punter/place-kicker Billy Vinnedge.
ImageImageImageImage
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

Those are definatelt some good captains in my eyes.