Anybody remember Al Kincaid?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Our HC before "Weasal" Erickson.....

What kind of an offense and defense did Kincaid run?

I got into UW Football in his last year (1985).
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Pretty boring was his style (I formation crap)...although, he did come out of the gate strong in 1980, with Pat Dye's recruits (primarily), as Pat headed off to Auburn. I still remember Pat stating "all people want to do in Wyoming is rodeo...they don't enjoy college football" or something to that effect. Al's last year he finished 3 & 8 or 3 & 9, and was shown the door. He lasted, I believe, 5 years, and was replaced by Erickson...and his Air Express. There was quite the change from the I formation sets that Kincaid ran, to the wide open Air Express. Dennis knew how to recruit skill players & athletes, proven by the sucess of those kids in 1987 and 1988 under Roach.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I think he ran the wishbone. The reason it rings a bell is that Erickson came in and took Scott Runyon ( a wishbone qb) and turned him into a passing machine.
Tunnel Poke
Buckaroo

Kincaid ran the wishbone. At the end it became as predictable as the mess we have now. First down was option right. Second down was option left. 3rd and less than 3 it was a plunge up the middle, greater than 3 it was either a short sideline pattern or the TE over the middle. We could sit in the stands and call the plays out.
Wind River Poke
Ranch Hand

Kincaid's first year as HC his QB was Phil Davis. The WAC offensive player of the year over Jim McMahon. Novacek played under Kincaid as well.
I believe Kincaid and Roach were the last guys to take us to Victory in Provo? Anyone know if that is valid?
“God bless Wyoming and keep it wild.”
-Helen Mettler, age 15, 1925
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Wind River Poke wrote:I believe Kincaid and Roach were the last guys to take us to Victory in Provo? Anyone know if that is valid?
Roach was the last to do it in 1987, Fred Akers did it in 1976. Kincaid did beat BYU in '81, but that was in Laramie. Man we have a terrible record in Provostan.
sPOKESman
Buckaroo

Really thought Kincaid would get us back 'up' in the 80's...other than Akers Fiesta Bowl team, the 70's were
pretty dismal (and that Fiesta Bowl was pretty dismal, too). '81 was a great year with the Pokes clobbering
CSU 55-21, and the snow-bowl game over McMahon and BYU, 33-20, in a blizzard. Should have beat Utah
in SLC for the WAC title but lost 27-30 in a great game. Finished 2nd and 8-3 overall.
But the next four years they slowly slipped...seems they'd play good a few games and then get drilled or
lose to someone they shouldn't. The 14-69 drubbing the Utes gave us is as memorable as any wins he had.
Another memorable one: the game 'Down Under' where we beat UTEP, 23-21, Kincaid's last game.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Tunnel Poke wrote:Kincaid ran the wishbone. At the end it became as predictable as the mess we have now. First down was option right. Second down was option left. 3rd and less than 3 it was a plunge up the middle, greater than 3 it was either a short sideline pattern or the TE over the middle. We could sit in the stands and call the plays out.
True...the wishbone. Don't know where I thought about the I-formation option, maybe that was the 3rd & 3 play. He did have some great athletes though!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...