The A-11 Offense

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

http://www.a11offense.com/

A completely legal offense where every player is essentially illegible down field. Talk about gimmicky, it's just what we need.

I have heard some high schools have been banned from running it in North Carolina.
I'm good for 3!
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

Cornpoke wrote:http://www.a11offense.com/

A completely legal offense where every player is essentially illegible down field. Talk about gimmicky, it's just what we need.

I have heard some high schools have been banned from running it in North Carolina.
It is a pretty crazy offense, I saw a clip on ESPN a year or two ago and checked it out a little, but I hate the phrase "every player is eligible" because that is impossible based on the rules, which clearly state that you have to have 7 men on the line of scrimmage and only the man on each end is eligible to catch a pass. The A-11 is such that depending on the formation any of the players could be eligible before they line up but you still can have a max of 5 players elegible to catch a pass, since 5 guys are on the line and ineligble and you need 1 guy to throw the ball. Sorry, probably sounds like I am arguing just to argue but just didn't like the way they tought that offense.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
nirv117
Ranch Hand

Snowman_55 wrote:
Cornpoke wrote:http://www.a11offense.com/

It is a pretty crazy offense, I saw a clip on ESPN a year or two ago and checked it out a little, but I hate the phrase "every player is eligible" because that is impossible based on the rules, which clearly state that you have to have 7 men on the line of scrimmage and only the man on each end is eligible to catch a pass. The A-11 is such that depending on the formation any of the players could be eligible before they line up but you still can have a max of 5 players eligible to catch a pass, since 5 guys are on the line and ineligible and you need 1 guy to throw the ball. Sorry, probably sounds like I am arguing just to argue but just didn't like the way they thought that offense.
My thoughts exactly, you have to have 7 on the line. I don't think it would remotely work in college ball. I think it works at lower levels due to lack of discipline.
God is a Cowboy
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy

Well not every player is eligible but every player wears an eligible number and the defense doesn't know who is until the play begins.
I'm good for 3!
nirv117
Ranch Hand

Cornpoke wrote:Well not every player is eligible but every player wears an eligible number and the defense doesn't know who is until the play begins.

I guess theoretically the defense would have about 1 second (time you have to be set before the snap) to look and see who is on the line, and who is "covered" on the line. a disciplined defense should be able to figure it out enough to stop it. Plus since the guys on the line can't go out for a pass, or you'd have ineligible down field penalties, the defense could just play a close zone, then blitz where the guys don't go out.

It does have me thinking of defensive strategies to stop it. I love defense!
God is a Cowboy
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

It is a great high school offense, however I agree with Nirv, I don't think it equates to the college game. No offense to offensive lineman because I used to be an O and D Lineman back in high school (and 1 year of NAIA ball on defense), but I really don't want to see our 300lb boys having the added responsibility of having to run a passing route let alone trust them with the ball, our skills guys have enough trouble with that. I guess theoretically you could build a team without big lineman but then you'd be screwed if the gimic offense failed and you tried to go conventional with a bunch of undersized guys.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy

Snowman_55 wrote:It is a great high school offense, however I agree with Nirv, I don't think it equates to the college game
That's what people said about the spread. Your missing the point about this formation. Essentially lineman are either receivers or blockers, depending on the play. This is an offense with 11 skill players on offense. 7 guys, no matter where they are can go down field on any given play, as defense your basically having to guess who to cover.

Some people commenting on this offense obviously haven't watched the videos or studied the plays of the A-11. I guarantee we could score more points running something like this than what were doing now.
I'm good for 3!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 241 times

We can't even run the most vanilla and simple of offenses. The truth is, our games would have been closer the past few weeks if we ran 1 play, the kneel down. No way could this team even consider something as new and complex as the A-11.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Sorry - won't work at Wyoming - nobody can catch the ball. And with two quarterbacks (Wyo style) you have twice as many fumbles. Won't work.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy

Good point. I guess for a few seconds I forgot that we are a turnover machine on offense. What I was arguing is that if people are saying the A-11 could only work in high school are incorrect. Talk about one complicated offense and having watched the videos, a typical high school team doesn't have 11 play making skill players on their team where as a College team could potentially build a team around that offense and really put up some big numbers IMO.
I'm good for 3!
pokefan69
Buckaroo

Sheet, we would just throw it to opposing team for a touchdown anyway..........