Devil's Advocate

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

So, let's say, our Pokes finish with 3 or 4 wins this season. Even 5...say, SDSU, UNLV, and CSU are all victims, that caught the flu or something before the game.

Is it for sure that Glenn is a goner? What if his last win of the season, takes him to 5 wins (or 4 or 3), and gets the boot back in the RAC? Is he forgiven for a poor year (by Burman), and allowed another year to right the ship?

Is the season setting up like CSU's season last year (with the Lubick farewall game against UW)?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

I think for Joe to keep his job with 5 or fewer wins, one of the wins will have to be this weekend or against TCU (to show that we can still compete against the upper crust) and solid performances on both sides of the ball the remainder of the season. As I see it, this type of turnaround would be nothing short of a miracle. But, there have been miracles witness at the War in the past so who knows...??
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

PokeTransplant wrote:I think for Joe to keep his job with 5 or fewer wins, one of the wins will have to be this weekend or against TCU (to show that we can still compete against the upper crust) and solid performances on both sides of the ball the remainder of the season. As I see it, this type of turnaround would be nothing short of a miracle. But, there have been miracles witness at the War in the past so who knows...??
Transplant...do you think Burman really has the cahonies to let him go? Joe is a very popular guy, and a great man with a great personality...like a Bill Lewis type maybe. We all have our own opinion, and mine matches with wanting UW to compete for MWC championships...NOW...but I wonder about Burman.
Dear Karma,

PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I think Glenn has already assured himself that he is gone. I don't think you can just look at the record and decide. The fact that we haven't even been close to competitive in the four losses so far will be the deciding factor - 3 points, three!, against MWC teams so far. We likely won't be competitive against Utard, TCU or Tennessee (there is a possibility of three more shutouts). He has lost games that he should of won (Bowling Green and Air Force, imo), and squeaked out wins when they should have been blowouts (Ohio, NDSt). He had the entire offense returning minus Betschart and Ford, despite that the O has regressed even further than it had last year.

If I am Burman, I am putting my list together and planning for the hiring process that will begin on Nov 23rd. I also wouldn't rule out a firing mid-season to see what Breske can do with the reins (if he would take them). If Burman is pleased with the way the team has played this season, then it is also time to find a new AD. Five wins is not acceptable, especially with this year's schedule. Seven should have been a given, even the way the team has been playing the last few years.

Right now, UW would have a tough time competing in FCS. What do you think the over-under is for the amount of points the Pokes will score the rest of the season, I say 35 in the remaining 6 games.
GetRealMan
Ranch Hand

Even the most influential donors to Cowboy Joe must be getting a little skittish by now. Joe's popularity is dwindling fast.

By this time Burman should have a pretty keen sense of what the sentiment and support for this program is. 4 or 5 wins cannot be an acceptable level of achievement in Glenn's 7th year at the helm.

A once proud program has been relegated to the statistical cellar of the entire NCAA FBS programs, so it's time to move on and hopefully set our ambitions a bit higher. Winning is everything, and with this offensive offense, we're not winning out so the point is moot.
Me, I'm spiritually retarded, I need to be knee deep in water with a fly rod in my hands, that's about as close to God as I get.
"Steve Earle"
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke

I think if Burman can some how justify keeping Joe, he will. I think he will forgive the W-L record if attendance figures remain at reasonable levels and if Joe can present a new plan for the next year. I believe that Joe has some tough decisions to mull over and if he pulls the trigger on some of his staff as part of a new plan for Wyoming Football, that will make Burman's choice that much tougher.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

PokeTransplant wrote:I think if Burman can some how justify keeping Joe, he will. I think he will forgive the W-L record if attendance figures remain at reasonable levels and if Joe can present a new plan for the next year. I believe that Joe has some tough decisions to mull over and if he pulls the trigger on some of his staff as part of a new plan for Wyoming Football, that will make Burman's choice that much tougher.
That is kind of stuck in the back of my head as well..."if Burman can some how justify keeping Joe, he will." I think that may surely be a possibility. But I also think that comes at a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars PROFIT from ticket revenue / concessions / etc., for the 2009 football season. Will Burman be tying his own noose then?
Dear Karma,

kahunapoke
Buckaroo

I think you guys forget that TB grew up a Cowboy fan in Laramie. I think he's pissed off right now for letting Glenn get away with just firing Cockhill and not sending KNutson , Germer and Wiz packing.

Fool me once shame on you ---fool me twice
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

In addition to kahuna's comment's, I think you have to realize that Burman gets evaluated as well, and if President Buchanan doesn't believe he is doing an adequate job as AD then it would be Burman headed down the road. I think Burman is smart enough to realize that and regardless of his personal feelings about Glenn he will base any decision off of his interpretation of the facts about the situation.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke

I'm not forgetting that. But,Joe is a hell of a cheerleader for the football program and did bring a lot of excitement back into the program from all over the state. That's something that had been lacking for a long time before Joe walked in the door. I think Burman knows that as well and will keep that in the back of his mind when making his decision this winter. Don't forget that Joe is a hell of a salesman as well....
GetRealMan
Ranch Hand

kahunapoke wrote:I think you guys forget that TB grew up a Cowboy fan in Laramie. I think he's pissed off right now for letting Glenn get away with just firing Cockhill and not sending KNutson , Germer and Wiz packing.

Fool me once shame on you ---fool me twice
That's exactly the point, Joe's had plenty of time and just doesn't seem to be making the adjustments that are needed for a competitive program. Burman's not an idiot and Joe's record continues to be a direct reflection on the AD's office. Business before pleasure.
Me, I'm spiritually retarded, I need to be knee deep in water with a fly rod in my hands, that's about as close to God as I get.
"Steve Earle"
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

So does Burman keep Glenn if fires the entire offensive staff along with Knutsen and agrees to wear a headset during games? Not sure Joe would fire his buddies but that would the only way I see him at the helm next season. It is a year late in my opinion and I personally would not take a chance of having another disastrous season as this with Glenn in charge.
NotAveJoe
Buckaroo

I think playing Devil's Advocate would be to consider NC FB Coach Steve Harshman's comments in his letter to the editor in the CST.

Basically, he said Joe's a great guy, a great fund raiser, a great ambassador for the university and his players love him. He wants to stay at Wyoming because he loves it here. So, maybe, depending on his recruiting years and talent he can get, he'll get a bowl bid every once in a while and for the most part have a mid-tier team.

I think Harshman was implying that there can be worse things about an athletic program than losing.

Do those ideas deserve some consideration among fans? Should we look for stability with a great guy and great ambassador and just enjoy a good season when it comes around every once in a while?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

NotAveJoe wrote:I think playing Devil's Advocate would be to consider NC FB Coach Steve Harshman's comments in his letter to the editor in the CST.

Basically, he said Joe's a great guy, a great fund raiser, a great ambassador for the university and his players love him. He wants to stay at Wyoming because he loves it here. So, maybe, depending on his recruiting years and talent he can get, he'll get a bowl bid every once in a while and for the most part have a mid-tier team.

I think Harshman was implying that there can be worse things about an athletic program than losing.

Do those ideas deserve some consideration among fans? Should we look for stability with a great guy and great ambassador and just enjoy a good season when it comes around every once in a while?

Two words: Hell No.

Everyone loves a winner. Coming close to winning is losing. Losing sucks.
Dear Karma,

Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

NotAveJoe wrote: I think Harshman was implying that there can be worse things about an athletic program than losing.

No F-ing way! If we want to strive for mediocrity then we might as well just disband the football program. We need to be striving for MWC championships. Obviously that isn't possible every year, but that should be a legit goal every year. We keep hearing thats a goal from Glenn, but the results don't back that up. We need to win, especially conference games, if we don't find a way to win 5 of the last 6 games = new coach period. I think the fans have been more patient then any other D1 program would have been, its time for results and the results appear to be going in the wrong direction at this point. Granted the season is only half over, but our results to this point certainly don't leave much room for optimism or confidence at this point.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

I thought the 7 win standard was put out there and assume it will be adhered to, luckily for us, blowout losses still only count as 1 loss and we could beat CSU, SDSU, and UNLV, but finding that elusive 6th win just to get bowl eligible for a chance at 7 looks daunting.

Utah is the only one at home but probably the least likely to win.

TCU is on the road where we suck, but at least we can look back to how we dominated them for 3 qtrs last yr before we let them back in the game.

Tenn might actually be our best chance of the big 3, with all their off the field distractions.

It is Thursday, so the optimism is back. I am still hoping for 6 wins by us, 6 wins by NM, but this time NM Bowl is forced to invite us because NM played in it last yr, oh sweet revenge. Then we win bowl game, finish 7-6, and Glenn keeps his job, but lets the Offensive coaches go (except Applewhite) and we get a decent Offense to go with the Bounty Hunter Defense.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!