Pokes Practice in the new Indoor Facility

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

Gotta say, it looks pretty sweet. It's going to severely improve team's practices than being out in the weather that is Laramie, WY. Article below from WyoAthletics Website

LARAMIE, Wyo. -

It came as a surprise, but when the skies opened up with rain in Laramie on Thursday afternoon, the Wyoming Cowboys asked if they could practice in their soon to be completed $11 million Indoor Practice Facility and the request was granted. At 2:55 p.m., the Pokes officially began their first practice in the Indoor.

The practice area in the complex is virtually complete, so the Cowboys were able to utilize the full 100-yard by 50-yard regulation field for their single Thursday practice. Sophomore quarterback Karsten Sween connected with senior wide receiver Michael Ford for the first completion in the new building.

"It was a landmark day for Athletics at the University of Wyoming," said head football coach Joe Glenn. "It's a miracle -- absolutely sensational. No matter what the weather dishes out on a given day, we now know we'll be able to get in a quality practice. We'll still practice outside most days, but we won't have to worry about not having an effective practice. You just get a lot more accomplished when you have an indoor facility."

Glenn went on to joke about the 32 previous years he has faced those elements coaching at Wyoming, Montana and Northern Colorado.

"I've just come to the realization that I'm coaching at 72 degrees the rest of my career," joked Glenn. "No more wind on this weather-beaten old face.

"But seriously, a year ago when we were forced inside (in War Memorial Fieldhouse), we couldn't practice as a complete team because of the limited space in the building. We had to practice in shifts. God bless that old indoor, it held up for a long time, but now we have one of the finest facilities in the country."

The Cowboys practiced for a little over two hours on Thursday. Their practice schedule for the remainder of the week includes a 3:15 p.m. practice on Friday, and a 9 a.m. session on Saturday.

ImageImageImageImage
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Our brand new indoor facility is the reason why CSU wants one now. I've heard they've raised their ticket prices (even student tickets) in order to fund hopes of a future project! Its good going to school in a wealthy state...not to mention the only 4 year University. Coming from family that bleeds brown and gold, theres no other place I'd wanna attend school...especially with all the upside surrounding the sports. POWDER RIVER, LET 'R BUCK!!!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

This program at UW has come a great distance with the addition of the RAC, the IPF, the new turf on the field at WMS, our new AD (Tom Burman), and the Glenn coaching staff. Our recruiting has improved and will continue to improve so much that I think within the next 2 years, we will be competing for the conference championship every year. A week or so ago, I mentioned to a VA fan that we had a running back at Wyoming that had world class speed - he replied that if he had world class speed, he wouldn't have come to Wyoming. Ha, Ha, guess what. The only thing we need to do now is fill WMS for every game and get WMS brought up to standards.
Last edited by WYCowboy on Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

WYCowboy wrote:This program at UW has come a great distance with the addition of the RAC, the IPF, our new AD (Tom Burman), and the Glenn coaching staff. Our recruiting has improved and will continue to improve so much that I think within the next 2 years, we will be competing for the conference championship every year. A week or so ago, I mentioned to a VA fan that we had a running back at Wyoming that had world class speed - he replied that if he had world class speed, he wouldn't have come to Wyoming. Ha, Ha, guess what. The only thing we need to do now is fill WMS for every game and get WMS brought up to standards.
Enclosing the ends of the stadium would help, IMO. I think that would bring a totally different atmosphere to the game if the ends were closed and it was filled all the way around. Huge, in terms of game day.
ImageImageImageImage
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Yes, I completely agree with that and hope that is our next project.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.