Western State game

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Check out the score! Anyone watch the game? What's different tonight from any other night?

Am I happy the Pokes are doing so well...hell yeah! But I still want to know how, since they can't seem to keep up that kind of effort. (If that's what's different tonight)
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

And this game proves: Shroyer could possibly field a team competitive in division II.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Adv8RU12 wrote:And this game proves: Shroyer could possibly field a team competitive in division II.
But it is a sign of life, no?
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

kdwrightuwyo wrote:Check out the score! Anyone watch the game? What's different tonight from any other night?

Am I happy the Pokes are doing so well...hell yeah! But I still want to know how, since they can't seem to keep up that kind of effort. (If that's what's different tonight)
The biggest difference is the compeition. Western State is a horrible Division II team. This should have been an exhibition game but we need to pad the record to try and save a job. And now we follow up with another homecourt challenge against Centenary, which a year ago announced it is dropping to Division III next year (honestly). Few more games like this and maybe we can lose $100,000 by hosting a make believe post-season game that will allow the head coach to be given a contract extension. Been there. Done that.

What was the difference? Western State's one victory was a four-point victory gainst Texas-Permian Basin. Yep, Texas-Permian Basin.

Here are the Western State results so far:

11/1/2010 at Northern Colorado (Exhibition) Greeley, Colo. L 61-93 Details
11/6/2010 at Colorado State (Exhibition) Fort Collins, Colo. L 59-81 Details
11/13/2010 at Boise State Boise, Idaho L 52-78 Details
11/17/2010 Eastern New Mexico Gunnison, Colo. L 67-74 Details
11/26/2010 vs Dixie State Grand Junction, Colo. L 58-65 Details
11/27/2010 vs Texas-Permian Basin Grand Junction, Colo. W 71-67 Details
12/3/2010 * at Nebraska-Kearney Kearney, Neb. L 66-72 (OT) Details
12/4/2010 * at Chadron State Chadron, Neb. L 63-84 Details
12/10/2010 * New Mexico Highlands Gunnison, Colo. L 66-77 Details
12/11/2010 * Western New Mexico Gunnison, Colo. L 80-85 Details
12/17/2010 at Wyoming Laramie, Wyo. L 37-80 Details
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

And oh, by the way, how tough is Centenary? It plays at Marquette on Saturday. So far:

Fri, Nov 12 Memphis - Global Sports Challenge 19 at Memphis, Tenn. 8:00 p.m. 40 - 104 (L)
Mon, Nov 15 Tennessee-Martin - Global Sports Challenge - at Martin, Tenn. 7:00 p.m. 56 - 79 (L)
Wed, Nov 17 Arkansas-Monticello - Gold Dome 7:00 p.m. 70 - 82 (L)
Fri, Nov 19 Tulane - at New Orleans, La. 7:00 p.m. 36 - 77 (L)
Mon, Nov 22 Northwestern State - Global Sports Challenge - Gold Dome 7:00 p.m. 70 - 83 (L)
Wed, Nov 24 LSU - Global Sports Challenge - at Baton Rouge, La. 7:00 p.m. 36 - 78 (L)
Tue, Nov 30 Northwestern State - at Natchitoches, La. 7:45 p.m. 55 - 82 (L)
Thu, Dec 02 IUPUI * - at Indianapolis, Ind. 6:00 p.m. CT 69 - 77 (L)
Sat, Dec 04 Western Illinois * - at Macomb, Ill. 7:30 p.m. 51 - 57 (L)
Tue, Dec 07 Arkansas-Monticello - at Monticello, Ark. 7:00 p.m. 62 - 71 (L) Sat, Dec 11 Louisiana-Monroe - at Monroe, La. 6:00 p.m. 46 - 60 (L)

And this is a coaching staff that was upset at having to play Denver every year because ``schools like that don't help our RPI.'' Yeah, it's not like playing Keen or Johnson and Wales or Peru State.
Last edited by Poke Around on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Don' t know why we have so many haters. It was a good game for crap sake. Regardless of the competition, we did what we needed to do.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

JimmyDimes wrote:Don' t know why we have so many haters. It was a good game for crap sake. Regardless of the competition, we did what we needed to do.
Kind of like those early season blows outs against Peru State and Keen University. Those really got the team geared up to play medicore Division I schools.
Maybe we can petition for the NAIA.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Poke Around wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:Don' t know why we have so many haters. It was a good game for crap sake. Regardless of the competition, we did what we needed to do.
Kind of like those early season blows outs against Peru State and Keen University. Those really got the team geared up to play medicore Division I schools.
Dude, feel free to complain all you want about a 43 point win.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

JimmyDimes wrote:
Poke Around wrote:
The facts upset you? it was a blowout against a team that was totally overmatched, a team that can't even compete at the Division II level.
Just because they charge $16 a ticket for the game doesn't mean it mattered.
Was it such a compelling game that you actually went to the AA to see it?

Just heard on radio it's biggest blow out since Adams State game a year ago, and you saw what beating up on that Division II team meant for Cowboys getting season turned around.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I kinda feel the same way. I'm not a huge basketball fan, but I can tell right away that this is... wow. This is as lopsided as it gets.. I mean, there's over 200 D1 basketball teams, so the talent is spread pretty thin just across D1, but when you start getting into D2 games the talent is night and day. And not in a good way. A win is nice, but man, hard to be proud of this. It appears that Western State's basketball team is as bad as their D2 football team, who I saw lose to Montana 73-2.
ImageImageImageImage
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

MrTitleist wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

I kinda feel the same way. I'm not a huge basketball fan, but I can tell right away that this is... wow. This is as lopsided as it gets.. I mean, there's over 200 D1 basketball teams, so the talent is spread pretty thin just across D1, but when you start getting into D2 games the talent is night and day. And not in a good way. A win is nice, but man, hard to be proud of this. It appears that Western State's basketball team is as bad as their D2 football team, who I saw lose to Montana 73-2.
That's my point. I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, but does anybody really feel we are going to be a better team with this current stretch? Does anybody feel our guys are getting challenged to see what they have learned and what they need to learn before they get into the MWC?
Denver is 2-9.
Western State is now 1-10.
Centenary is 0-11.

The Pokes beat Western State. Blew Western State out. That's great. But it is no reason to feel things are suddenly better. We don't know because we have a bigger challenge in an intra-squad game.
wyopokesfan23
Ranch Hand

But at least compare the scores and it shows a good game. CSU scored 1 more point on them than we did but allowed 22 more points
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

wyopokesfan23 wrote:But at least compare the scores and it shows a good game. CSU scored 1 more point on them than we did but allowed 22 more points
So in using comparative scores, I guess UW is in trouble. Pokes only beat DU by 13 at home. CSU beat DU by 11 at DU.

And you might add that CSU's game against Western State was an exhibition game. None of the stats nor the victory count in the season starts.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

No, it was not a good game. We should not be scheduling teams like this. Jimmy, if you don't know why we have so many "haters" after the last 3+ years of this crap, then you must have been in a coma.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Burman wanted to schedule the D-IV Northeastern Montana State Normal Indian Teachers College but they declined, saying it would hurt their RPI rating.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

JimmyDimes wrote:
Poke Around wrote:
Dude! Why don't you go and cheer Wyoming on next year when they Play Western Wyoming Community College and maybe the Rock Springs High School Tigers. Are you going to be pleased when they blow these caliber type teams out? Or even win them close? Seriously. Am I happy it's a W...Yes. Am I happy it's against a nobody? Not so much.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

Adv8RU12 wrote:Burman wanted to schedule the D-IV Northeastern Montana State Normal Indian Teachers College but they declined, saying it would hurt their RPI rating.
Burman can take heat for a lot of things, but not the basketball schedule. At universities, the coaching staff handles the basketball schedule. And the quality of the schedule is a direct reflection on the coaching staff's relationship with other staffs.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Poke Around wrote:
Adv8RU12 wrote:Burman wanted to schedule the D-IV Northeastern Montana State Normal Indian Teachers College but they declined, saying it would hurt their RPI rating.
Burman can take heat for a lot of things, but not the basketball schedule. At universities, the coaching staff handles the basketball schedule. And the quality of the schedule is a direct reflection on the coaching staff's relationship with other staffs.
It all has to be okay'd by Burman though. He signs the contracts for the games, and even makes the games scheduling dates.

Also, a short note from my earlier post. Our next four opponents are a combined 7-34 (not exciting to me). I will not be pleased even if we win. Because They are games that should be wins. On top of that, I really don't think we will win them all. I think Houston Bapt can probably take us at their venue with the way we play on the road. They've played OK st. close and even played ASU close. I think they are better than their 1-9 record show's. But still They are tough. They played us tough two years ago at Utah St. in that Tourney.
Another side note...More question. What happened to Waddell? Why isn't he playing?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Poke Around wrote:
Poke Around, it's interesting that you bring up the coaching staff and how it schedules basketball games. You're absolutely correct.. and oddly enough, there was an article in today's Missoulian about how the Griz have trouble getting teams to come to UM to play (even though Oregon St was just here).. but UMs schedule is considerably better than UWs. Check it out..
http://missoulian.com/college/griz/arti ... 03286.html
ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

kansasCowboy wrote:Another side note...More question. What happened to Waddell? Why isn't he playing?
He's hurt.
ImageImageImageImage