After McClain got canned I wanted to hire Tim Miles

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

TwoTone wrote:very well put PL.
It still bothers me that the last game of McClains Wyoming tenure MANY of us fans left the AA thinking that we had just watched the team that could win the MWC. The team left us with hope for the future. Then they fired him and hired a coach that could turn Kansas into a losing team...
And why does everyone hate Platt so much? He was an awesome shooter until Heath made him change his odd looking shot. There was no need to do that. The way he shot wasn't affecting whether it was blocked or not. It just made him able to have a quick release that got Wyoming a lot of threes. Once Heath took over his shot changed and the only shots he hit were ones taken with his old form. And for every made three like that he got yelled at...
I was wondering that myself when I first heard tht McClain was being fired. He had taken the Pokes to the MWC tournament, had winning seasons, and actually encouraged his players. Granted, he was having down years, but what program doesn't? Now, we need a miracle coach and kick Schroyer out.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

Would you people calm down? Have I not made it clear that I want Schroyer gone and never wanted to hire him in the first place? Jesus, I'm not making excuses for the guy, my point is that he's taken a somewhat crappy situation and made it worse, overall. But the team actually DID lose scholarships due to academic problems and the Pit incident was NOT evidence of strong team discipline, and those things happened prior to his tenure. This is my only point.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Cowduck wrote:Would you people calm down? Have I not made it clear that I want Schroyer gone and never wanted to hire him in the first place? Jesus, I'm not making excuses for the guy, my point is that he's taken a somewhat crappy situation and made it worse, overall. But the team actually DID lose scholarships due to academic problems and the Pit incident was NOT evidence of strong team discipline, and those things happened prior to his tenure. This is my only point.
Either way, Schroyer needs to go. And I believe that is now unanimous on this board.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

Cowduck wrote:Would you people calm down? Have I not made it clear that I want Schroyer gone and never wanted to hire him in the first place? Jesus, I'm not making excuses for the guy, my point is that he's taken a somewhat crappy situation and made it worse, overall. But the team actually DID lose scholarships due to academic problems and the Pit incident was NOT evidence of strong team discipline, and those things happened prior to his tenure. This is my only point.
The team lost A scholarship. Is that really much different than the six scholarships that have been spent the past two years on players sitting out a year waiting for eligiblity? That's six years of education that were wasted in practices. So when you are shorthanded it's hard to offer sympathy when four guys are sitting in the corner, getting their scholly while watching everybody else play.
Dread_Pirate_Cowboy
Ranch Hand

Bad spell of negative publicity? You have got to be kidding me. The so called brawl in the pit was only a big dal to some in Wyoming.To most people it was a pushing match..And other than that what is your spell?

The teams academic issues? no player has ever not been eligible academically for the start of the season and only one player was academically ineligible for the second semester and that was Chris Anderson who since he was a senior at the time did not affect the APR and could not have cost a scholarship. As I have stated the lost scholarship was due in most part to Steve Leven thinking he could go pro after his junior year and not attending class so he left no in academic good standing and James Spencer.

Platt,Nelson,Okoye, Lawall, and every other player who left WAS in good standing so where is the academic mess that Schroyer shovelled and you bought?

The lack of discipline? So I will bet you will name me the players who were suspended for off court behavior? Okay you can tell me that Wyoming had more players arrested than each school in the MWC.

Stop thnking that Schroyer has fixed anything at WYO.He hasn't and in fact more is broken.It is just covered up better because he has the support of the AD.To many excuses are made for this guy.His job is to win basketball games and he isn't doing that. The end period.

You can be the most happy employee in the firm but if you are ahn accountant and are bad with numbers nobody cares that you organized the break room, cleaned the storage room you would be fired.

Academics are the job of the AD and the academic advisors and tutors that work for the AD..The coach needs to win win games or move on.

Oh and to the poster that said we had no post presence after JW left I would say that Daaron Brown was a better presence. He could not block balls from the weak side like Juston but brown had offense and could rebound and play man to man defense, When he got hurt that season changed course..

But what post presence has Schroyer given us ? Liskens ? Sylla ?

Teams with lesser talent played hard and compteted for McLain. Schroyers own recruits don't like,respect or put it on the line for him?
+10. That makes two people with brains. Is everybody else mentally ill? For those that think Shroyer's 2009 team was good and McClain's 2007 was bad.....BOTH had the SAME conference record -- Shroyer gets a raise and extension but McClain got the boot. No brains!
"Good?...Bad?.....I'm the guy with the Gun!" -- Ash Williams
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

Would you people calm down? Have I not made it clear that I want Schroyer gone and never wanted to hire him in the first place? Jesus, I'm not making excuses for the guy, my point is that he's taken a somewhat crappy situation and made it worse, overall. But the team actually DID lose scholarships due to academic problems and the Pit incident was NOT evidence of strong team discipline, and those things happened prior to his tenure. This is my only point.
Okay let me break down the incident at the PIT.

The NM player hooked Ewings arm and took him to the floor.That isn't what caused the anger,what caused the anger is the NM player held onto his arm and rolled him over on it.Ewing thought the guy was trying to break his arm. He jumped up but never threw a punch. Sure he kept the NM from getting up but that isn't a brawl.
When players from NM left the bench and ran onto the floor Ewings teammates came to his defense. Giddens ran up and Jones pushed him. Joe got a little caught up but those guys were in a hostile envoirnment and thought they were getting manhandled the entire game. And when they saw their leader in trouble they came to his defense.

I applaud that and would have expected nothing less.

You say it showed lack of discipline but what I saw was the Wyoming players and coaches that were on the bench stay on the bench. I saw NM players on the floor that should have been expelled from the game but weren't because the MWC officials were pu**y. But I don't see the NM fans apaled at that behavior and talking about discipline because they are winning. I saw the NM player running around flailing and acting like an ass whose coaches couldn't control but Wyoming players calm and cool after the intial scrum.

I also know for fact that the commisioner of the MWC conference thought only Joe should have gotten the suspension for the kick. He said that Ewing didn't warrant a suspension but the rule is if you get ejected you have to get the suspension.His hands were tied.

I will say that IMO anybody who tries to paint that situation as a negative for Wyoming is looking for a negative and reaching.

I already said we lost 1(ONE) scholarship but an academic program in disarray does that not make. Wat did you want McLain to do? Tell Leven he couldn't leave school and try to go pro? I bet you wre one of the fans that couldn't wait for Leven to leave.

DO you think FLorida State would fire Bowden if he didn't retire because of the scandal they just got hit with?
But like I said earlier you can't show me 1 other player since the PR has been in effect other than Leven and Spencer(who Schroyer showed the door) left in academic bad standing.

I don't question your fanhood or your agreeing that Schroyer should go.I do question you spouting that propaganda that SChroyer had such a bad hand when he came and spent his waking hours making good citizens.That is total BS.Schroyer has done squat.

McLain was fired as soon as Burmn was hired.Anything short of a national championship he was gone..SO what that is business but to use BS to make some shady sh*t smell good is crazy.

DO you know when Schroyer came part of hid discipline was that the players he got from McLain weren't allowed to wear tee shirts under their uniforms and weren't allowed to listen to their walkmans during the pre game warmups...But as soon as his players were eligible starting with Afam, tee shirts were allowed and Afam always has his Ipod.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

PL_Julian wrote:
Okay let me break down the incident at the PIT.

The NM player hooked Ewings arm and took him to the floor.That isn't what caused the anger,what caused the anger is the NM player held onto his arm and rolled him over on it.Ewing thought the guy was trying to break his arm. He jumped up but never threw a punch. Sure he kept the NM from getting up but that isn't a brawl.
When players from NM left the bench and ran onto the floor Ewings teammates came to his defense. Giddens ran up and Jones pushed him. Joe got a little caught up but those guys were in a hostile envoirnment and thought they were getting manhandled the entire game. And when they saw their leader in trouble they came to his defense.

I applaud that and would have expected nothing less.

You say it showed lack of discipline but what I saw was the Wyoming players and coaches that were on the bench stay on the bench. I saw NM players on the floor that should have been expelled from the game but weren't because the MWC officials were pu**y. But I don't see the NM fans apaled at that behavior and talking about discipline because they are winning. I saw the NM player running around flailing and acting like an ass whose coaches couldn't control but Wyoming players calm and cool after the intial scrum.

I also know for fact that the commisioner of the MWC conference thought only Joe should have gotten the suspension for the kick. He said that Ewing didn't warrant a suspension but the rule is if you get ejected you have to get the suspension.His hands were tied.

I will say that IMO anybody who tries to paint that situation as a negative for Wyoming is looking for a negative and reaching.
Have to disagree with you in your description of the incident. While I agree totally that Ewing should not have been suspended (what a joke), you gloss over Joe's involvement.

His kick was a bush league, cheap shot, that has no place on the court. The initial incident (Ewing getting hooked and the pushing that ensued) was not what gave Wyoming bad publicity. It was Joe Taylor running in and kicking a guy who was on the ground. I was very dissapointed in that behavior.

Still, to me that has no bearing on McClain's overall job performance. All that matters are wins and losses and McClain was losing more than he was winning (4-10, 7-7, 5-11, 7-9 last 4 MWC seasons).

Same reasons I want Schroyer fired.
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

His kick was a bush league, cheap shot, that has no place on the court. The initial incident (Ewing getting hooked and the pushing that ensued) was not what gave Wyoming bad publicity. It was Joe Taylor running in and kicking a guy who was on the ground. I was very dissapointed in that behavior
I agree that Joe stepped over the line,no question.

I agree he got caught up in the emotion .

I can gloss over that if others can overblow it and call it a brawl.. :D

There has been much worse in college sports and you don't hear about it 4 years later.Hell they don't mention the Ron Artest fight in Detroit as much as some "wyoming fans" mention the "brawl"

What I can say is that Joe is playing in South Korea and has not had any further incidents and Schroyer is still a joke.

I counted at least 4 NM players that left the bench and came on the floor and and with all the replay watching not one was ejected.

I still say that didn't give Wyoming bad publicity except in Wyoming.

What is giving the cowboys bad Pub now is Schroyer and getting blown out at home and on the road. :brick:
Dread_Pirate_Cowboy
Ranch Hand

Guess we should have fired Jim Brandenberg too. His last team included a brawl where Jon Summers was ejected and suspended for another game....I don't think that was the first time he'd been suspended either. That Jim Brandenberg team sure lacked discepline. Oh wait, that doesn't matter because that team made the sweet 16.

At least is seams we all agree that Shroyer needs to go. It still boggles my mind how he was given an extension after last season. Burman made a brilliant hire with Christiansen....how can the same guy be such an idiot with the basketball coach?
"Good?...Bad?.....I'm the guy with the Gun!" -- Ash Williams
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

At least is seams we all agree that Shroyer needs to go. It still boggles my mind how he was given an extension after last season. Burman made a brilliant hire with Christiansen....how can the same guy be such an idiot with the basketball coach?

Just be thankful he didn't have any buddies that wanted to be a football coach and instead hired a real one... :rofl: :rofl:
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

PL,

I agree with nearly everything you write. I notice your posts on the other board and I can't help but grimmace at everything that board's moderator writes. He is intent on comparing McClain's last conference season to this one. First of all, McClain's teams lost a lot of close games, home and road. There was some reason to hope we could be competitive in the tournament (which we were).

This team has been blown out numerous times and is probably going to get pummeled again several more times before the tournament. This team will be in the play in game for the second time in 3 years. McClain's teams were NEVER in the play in game. There is every reason to believe Schroyer's team will lose the play in game.

PL, I know you can make the case better than I can. I enjoy reading your posts and I know how frustrating this is for you and frankly, all of us Poke fans who hate to see the program in the toilet. And until we have a coaching change or a new A.D., I don't see things improving.