What could have been

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I couldn't help but think what could have been when I saw the box score for this San Francisco vs. Gonzaga game with Marcus Williams and Graham Ike both starting and scoring in double digits.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... /401625648
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Isn’t that the truth. What a couple hundred $K might due to grease the pig. :coffee:
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

johnywyo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:46 pm Isn’t that the truth. What a couple hundred $K might due to grease the pig. :coffee:
I heard Ike was paid $500k, and access to a school jet for his mother to games.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Kinda neat to follow but cmon sellout
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Why can’t we have nice things like the Oakland Golden Grizzlies
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 12 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:42 pm
johnywyo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:46 pm Isn’t that the truth. What a couple hundred $K might due to grease the pig. :coffee:
I heard Ike was paid $500k, and access to a school jet for his mother to games.
I would love to see these "student athlete" tax returns.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Living their 15 minutes of fame 1 game at a time...lol...yeah if you transfer pay it back to the school u left...sellouts...
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

stymeman wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:24 am Living their 15 minutes of fame 1 game at a time...lol...yeah if you transfer pay it back to the school u left...sellouts...
Saw where a kid (grew up in Iowa) went to Alabama, was offered $100k to transfer to Iowa, took the money and transferred back to Bama. This whole thing is out of control
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:44 am
stymeman wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:24 am Living their 15 minutes of fame 1 game at a time...lol...yeah if you transfer pay it back to the school u left...sellouts...
Saw where a kid (grew up in Iowa) went to Alabama, was offered $100k to transfer to Iowa, took the money and transferred back to Bama. This whole thing is out of control
Beating a dead horse here, but these NIL collectives and the people donating to them are enabling this insanity.

I'd love to see Wyoming think a bit out of the box when it comes to this. Make our NIL offers incentive based...the better you perform, the more money you get. Have the athletes sign a contract that commits them to UW for a minimum of 2-3 years...if the athlete transfers before that commitment is met, then they immediately owe back 50% of NIL funds earned as an "exit fee".

Why can't the UW try something different? What we are doing now is obviously not working.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

TheRealUW wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:15 pm

Beating a dead horse here, but these NIL collectives and the people donating to them are enabling this insanity.

I'd love to see Wyoming think a bit out of the box when it comes to this. Make our NIL offers incentive based...the better you perform, the more money you get. Have the athletes sign a contract that commits them to UW for a minimum of 2-3 years...if the athlete transfers before that commitment is met, then they immediately owe back 50% of NIL funds earned as an "exit fee".

Why can't the UW try something different? What we are doing now is obviously not working.
Kind of hard to think outside the box with NIL at Wyoming. Assuming Wyoming had real NIL possibilities available to players (which is not the case)... What you describe would just mean players would go elsewhere. Unless the $$ is bigger in Laramie, nobody would sign on for higher restrictions.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

TheRealUW wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:15 pm

First of all, it's not legal, according to the NCAA. No NIL contract can have any kind of performance incentive. Players can go to autograph signings or any kind of marketing promotions, and that's it.
And that's probably a good thing. I can't imagine signing a kid with some kind of incentive based on number of wins or points scored or whatever. I can just see a kid getting benched and then claiming he was benched so he wouldn't reach some NIL incentive.
Regarding Gonzaga: It's a small school but Spokane has about 600k people. So there are a lot boosters who can use players for marketing purposes. Of course, it helps that Gonzaga doesn't have a football team.