NIL

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

We've got to get it going. I've changed my tune on this. If we want to have UW sports in the future we have to be competitive in this regard. Sucks, but that's the way it is. The fans, AD, Burman, whoever, MUST embrace it.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Well what’s the status of the one that was launched?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

SDPokeFan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:14 am Well what’s the status of the one that was launched?
No clue. I have literally seen nothing for it. Is it still active?
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:23 am
SDPokeFan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:14 am Well what’s the status of the one that was launched?
Haven’t heard much about it either. That leads me to believe there isn’t much going on with it.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

And NIL can't be some egalitarian BS. Need to compensate football players and men's bball players.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

My NIL donation will remain at $0. I could care less to pay 18-22 year olds so they can have nice cars. I’d rather move to D2.

But there are some interesting lawsuits coming down the pike. I hope they are successful.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:24 am
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:23 am
Haven’t heard much about it either. That leads me to believe there isn’t much going on with it.
I believe that they are actively working with a handful of high dollar donors. My belief is mostly to make ‘charitable’ gifts to real charities to funnel money down to players for tax deductions.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

On a somewhat related note - kudos to the Wyoming donors for coming together and raising real money for the families of the swimmers. Hopefully there won’t be a need for a similar fund drive in the future, but causes to actually help people will continue to get my money.
Vancopoke
Buckaroo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Rumor with Oregon football is total NIL for recent recruiting class was $15 million. No way kids from across the country going to Eugene unless their pockets are getting lined.

Scary amounts of cash being tossed around in the NIL world.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Vancopoke wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:22 pm Rumor with Oregon football is total NIL for recent recruiting class was $15 million. No way kids from across the country going to Eugene unless their pockets are getting lined.

Scary amounts of cash being tossed around in the NIL world.
At least pro sports like the NFL and NBA have a salary cap to "level" the playing field. It may take something like that to save college sports.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 66 times

I'm guessing most of you are aware of One Wyo.

https://1wyo.org/

The director was interviewed on Ryan Thorburg's Pokescast just a few days ago.
Athletes must donate time to charity to receive the NIL funds.

Seems reasonable to me. If we want to be competitive, then NIL is going to be a big part of our
success.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:58 pm I'm guessing most of you are aware of One Wyo.

https://1wyo.org/

The director was interviewed on Ryan Thorburg's Pokescast just a few days ago.
Athletes must donate time to charity to receive the NIL funds.

Seems reasonable to me. If we want to be competitive, then NIL is going to be a big part of our
success.
Do you remember Ike showing up at Cheyenne Boys and Girls Club for 30 minutes or so before declaring for the portal the next day? Had to get those dollars for sitting out for the year and knowing he would be leaving. :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

The donation of time is with the intent to provide more cover to donors who are taking these tax deductions for the full amount donated to NIL.

Long term, I see the IRS cracking down with large donors eventually getting audited. Just my belief.

Wyoming is actually one of the more conservative in this regard. Donors at other universities are taking tax deductions with even less actual charitable association.