Linder got tossed.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

Wow. Is he planning to coach a full game the rest of the way?
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

LawPoke wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:53 pm Wow. Is he planning to coach a full game the rest of the way?
Terrible officiating. Seems like Curry has it out for Linder. He's the new Dave Hall.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Don’t get CBS sports, but I’m guessing with the slow start Linder just decided it would be easier to watch from the locker room.

Edit, horrible start.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:09 pm Don’t get CBS sports, but I’m guessing with the slow start Linder just decided it would be easier to watch from the locker room.

Edit, horrible start.
It didn't look like Linder did enough to get tossed that quickly, but I don't know what he said.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I’m surprised he isn’t tossed more. Sit behind the bench sometime and you will be left shaking your head. He spends every game berating officials from buzzer to buzzer. His demeanor is crap and not encouraging to players IMO.

I get it that there are some times that call for getting after the officials. But this schtick is getting old.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:26 am I’m surprised he isn’t tossed more. Sit behind the bench sometime and you will be left shaking your head. He spends every game berating officials from buzzer to buzzer. His demeanor is crap and not encouraging to players IMO.

I get it that there are some times that call for getting after the officials. But this schtick is getting old.
I think the officials are tired of him. I’m tired of him. He is always bitching and moaning. Coach your team, Jeff. Looks like they need a bit of coaching based on what I saw. The calls he got mad about were good calls. The moving screen that got him the hook was obvious.

It was fun to watch Nevada. They actually move the ball and play great defense. We look like a yard ball team.

I actually agree with the post that he looks like he wants to get tossed - as if it somehow distances him from the crappy results on the court. Jeff was fine when players couldn’t transfer at will. He clearly has the personality of a nice splash of hot acid and has not learned anything after last year’s debacle. Players don’t have to put up with his BS and won’t. Next year will be worse. They think attendance is bad now…
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:26 am I’m surprised he isn’t tossed more. Sit behind the bench sometime and you will be left shaking your head. He spends every game berating officials from buzzer to buzzer. His demeanor is crap and not encouraging to players IMO.

It is part of the game. If you don't work the refs in this fvcked up conference, you are at a disadvantage. The MWC is full of coaches that are forced to work the refs. And NOBODY is a bigger bitcher & whiner than Leon Rice, and we will all get to see that Saturday.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:20 am

It is part of the game. If you don't work the refs in this fvcked up conference, you are at a disadvantage. The MWC is full of coaches that are forced to work the refs. And NOBODY is a bigger bitcher & whiner than Leon Rice, and we will all get to see that Saturday.
I’m not a basketball coach. I coach other sports. And sure it is part of the game. But I watch every coach that comes to the AA for games that I attend. Since Linder has been here, I haven’t seen a visiting coach whine and pout more than Linder. At some point, your team loses that mental edge because coach isn’t really coaching and is just arguing with the refs all of the time.

What else I don’t see? Very much encouragement from Linder to players.

What I do see? Linder with his arms folded and a constant scowl. Just the type of person we all try to avoid at the office because we don’t need that piss in our coffee.

Maybe he is a different guy than I see on the sidelines. But losing your entire roster simply because they have the ability to leave wouldn’t indicate that to me.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:54 am

I think the officials are tired of him. I’m tired of him. He is always bitching and moaning. Coach your team, Jeff. Looks like they need a bit of coaching based on what I saw. The calls he got mad about were good calls. The moving screen that got him the hook was obvious.

It was fun to watch Nevada. They actually move the ball and play great defense. We look like a yard ball team.

I actually agree with the post that he looks like he wants to get tossed - as if it somehow distances him from the crappy results on the court. Jeff was fine when players couldn’t transfer at will. He clearly has the personality of a nice splash of hot acid and has not learned anything after last year’s debacle. Players don’t have to put up with his BS and won’t. Next year will be worse. They think attendance is bad now…
I just don’t see a lot of hope for the program as far as competing with the top of the conference. Linder’s contract runs through 2027 and I don’t see how we can afford to take the financial hit for a firing this year or next year.

We spent the entire offseason and season getting all of the new players accustomed to each other. But we return so few minutes. Rather than get the underclassmen minutes, we just play all of our senior transfers until they run out of gas. I am sure we bring in a JUCO and a senior NAIA transfer again and just start the whole process over.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Wouldn't it be ironic if Craig Bohl, who is 20 years older then Linder and thought to be more "old school", ends up being the one who could adapt to NIL/Portal better.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:20 am

Wouldn't it be ironic if Craig Bohl, who is 20 years older then Linder and thought to be more "old school", ends up being the one who could adapt to NIL/Portal better.
That thought crossed my mind. I will hand it to Bohl, he learned, swallowed hard, and changed.

Linder laments the lack of NIL support. Linder complains about attendance. Linder whines about officiating. Linder grouses about transfers and commitment to his program and style. He throws players under the bus. He throws fans under the bus. He throws the collective and donors under the bus. At what point does he own his own damned program? It's always someone else's issue or problem with him. I just don't think his style and personality work in the NIL/Portal era. He is a great basketball mind - but without the Jimmys and Joes - he could be the next coming of John Wooden or Coach K and he wouldn't win.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:58 am

I just don’t see a lot of hope for the program as far as competing with the top of the conference. Linder’s contract runs through 2027 and I don’t see how we can afford to take the financial hit for a firing this year or next year.

We spent the entire offseason and season getting all of the new players accustomed to each other. But we return so few minutes. Rather than get the underclassmen minutes, we just play all of our senior transfers until they run out of gas. I am sure we bring in a JUCO and a senior NAIA transfer again and just start the whole process over.
Pump the brakes. We're not getting rid of him. Yes, last year was a disaster. We have a few guys coming back next year we can build with (Manyawu, Combs, Kobe, Powell and Oleg) and he'll pick up a few others. Practice time and maturity are as valuable as game minutes.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

flyfishwyo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:00 pm

Pump the brakes. We're not getting rid of him. Yes, last year was a disaster. We have a few guys coming back next year we can build with (Manyawu, Combs, Kobe, Powell and Oleg) and he'll pick up a few others. Practice time and maturity are as valuable as game minutes.
Last year was a disaster. This year is just a trainwreck. It is a slightly less severe trainwreck than we were expecting, but it is still a trainwreck. Of the players that are listed, only Manyawu is any good. But you are correct - we are not getting rid of him. Linder should probably be the last basketball coach Tom gets to hire.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand

LawPoke wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:04 pm

Last year was a disaster. This year is just a trainwreck. It is a slightly less severe trainwreck than we were expecting, but it is still a trainwreck. Of the players that are listed, only Manyawu is any good. But you are correct - we are not getting rid of him. Linder should probably be the last basketball coach Tom gets to hire.
Dang. I'm not sure what set you off this time, but the "blow it up and start over" schtick is getting old. You've made it clear that you're unsatisfied with everyone and everything UW related. Maybe it's time to take a step back.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Manyawu might be a guy who gets NIL offers elsewhere. His potential is obvious. The rest of the new guys are coming back for sure because Linder refused to give them more than a few minutes a game where they could showcase their abilities.

So maybe Linder is a genius!?!? Don’t play your really good players more than a few minutes a game so you burn a year of their eligibility while at the same reducing their ability to showcase themselves to other teams and NIL teams.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

flyfishwyo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:12 pm
LawPoke wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:04 pm

Dang. I'm not sure what set you off this time, but the "blow it up and start over" schtick is getting old. You've made it clear that you're unsatisfied with everyone and everything UW related. Maybe it's time to take a step back.
Maybe you are right. I guess I won't be alone in stepping back, considering current attendance at the AA, enrollment at UW, and lack of support for the collective and CJC.

When people like me step back and stop caring, UW and the athletic department are in real trouble. Don't get me wrong, I am not any sort of big fish and I clearly don't matter to anyone at UW. It's just when people LIKE me are told to give up and step back, it is saying a mouthful.

As for what set me off this time, oh, I don't know, another blowout loss, Linder acting like a petulant child (again) and a clear-eyed look at what the future holds might have been some of my triggers.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

If Ike got 500k from Gonzaga, then I don't think Bohl had to contend with anything like that. The one physical stud we had on offense, Neyor, left for big money. Maybe we don't have to deal with it as much in football because most of our players are not going to make a major impact on a P5 team.

If Ike was on this team, we would be in the hunt for the conference championship.

If JA was here when NIL was up and running, then I very much doubt he would have been here his Junior season.

So whatever you think of Linder, I don't know who is going to replace him that won't face the very same problems.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:03 pm If Ike got 500k from Gonzaga, then I don't think Bohl had to contend with anything like that. The one physical stud we had on offense, Neyor, left for big money. Maybe we don't have to deal with it as much in football because most of our players are not going to make a major impact on a P5 team.

If Ike was on this team, we would be in the hunt for the conference championship.

If JA was here when NIL was up and running, then I very much doubt he would have been here his Junior season.

So whatever you think of Linder, I don't know who is going to replace him that won't face the very same problems.
The loss of Ike hurt us - no doubt. It hurt us badly. I don't know that we are ever going to compete with that kind of cash for our top-flight players. That said, it might help, just a smidge, if our coach had a bit better rapport with his players. I know Maldo and Wenzel have defended him...but not many others have done so. Loyalty is a two way street. We could have used the other guys that transferred away this year (X, Reynolds, etc.) but they were not interested in staying.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

LawPoke wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:14 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:03 pm If Ike got 500k from Gonzaga, then I don't think Bohl had to contend with anything like that. The one physical stud we had on offense, Neyor, left for big money. Maybe we don't have to deal with it as much in football because most of our players are not going to make a major impact on a P5 team.

The loss of Ike hurt us - no doubt. It hurt us badly. I don't know that we are ever going to compete with that kind of cash for our top-flight players. That said, it might help, just a smidge, if our coach had a bit better rapport with his players. I know Maldo and Wenzel have defended him...but not many others have done so. Loyalty is a two way street. We could have used the other guys that transferred away this year (X, Reynolds, etc.) but they were not interested in staying.
Exactly this. Ike is a bigger problem than Linder or Wyoming can solve. It's not being able to keep Reynolds, Dusell, Oden, Marcus Williams etc around that gets you this kind of roster.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:23 pm
LawPoke wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:14 pm

Exactly this. Ike is a bigger problem than Linder or Wyoming can solve. It's not being able to keep Reynolds, Dusell, Oden, Marcus Williams etc around that gets you this kind of roster.
Agree.

DuSell was willing to go to perennial basketball basement dweller Fresno State to get out of here. By all accounts, DuSell is a good dude and good teammate.

Losing the entire team is inexplicable to me other than major problems with the coaching staff’s ability to relate to and motivate players. Linder promises to ‘change’ and then proceeds to: (1) disparage fans for attendance and do nothing himself to help; had (2) throw embarrassing temper tantrums on the court.