Attendance

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

Listening to Sports Line Live last night, Keith and crew broached the subject of lagging basketball attendance. They asked great questions: when and why did attendance tank for MBB and what will it take to bring it back? The question assumes that attendance is in the tank, which I think is pretty evident.

For my part, I think it started under Schroyer and accelerated under Edwards. It tanked because we stunk and Schroyer was a raging ass - and Edwards was given one too many years to flunk out (if Burman didn't care enough to make a change to alter our fortunes, leaving us twisting in the breeze, why should the average fan?). I also think that the reseating and botched reno of the AA adding gas to the fire.

I don't know that attendance ever rebounds. The malaise is real. NIL and the porthole don't allow us to know the players - truly. They fumbled the Cowboy Shootout, which used to entice folks in the northern end of the state to follow the Pokes. Linder is seen by many to be a Napolean-like character. CJC is a joke. The Arena is generally uninteresting and a chasm of mostly empty, uncomfortable seats (upper deck).

I'd tear out all of the upper deck seats and replace 1/2 of them with seats like the lower bowl (but brown). Create a standing room only party deck in part of the upper 1/2 of the upper deck behind the baskets - and open the one behind the student section to the students only and the other one to everyone else (not just CJC and NIL fat cats). The days of huge arenas are over - look at Baylor's new arena, Oregon's, Nebraska's, Ole Miss'.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

I don’t know, the attendance was pretty good in 21 with Maldo, Jeffries and Ike, etc. they were winning, went into conference play with only a few losses, and went to the NCAA tournament. It’s still all about producing a product people will pay for. That said, I drove down with some buddies from Casper for the NM game Tuesday- because I love The Pokes and am a fan. No different for football. And yes the attendance was horrible, and I was really surprised there weren’t many students there. Our opponent was a ranked 25 team. Sad…….
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

I could be off...although I think my memory serves me correctly...

The demise started when McClain shopped himself.
The demise continued when Burman took the helm, and wanted to fire McClain, to bring in his buddy (Schroyer)
The demise accelerated when Burman extended Schroyer, then fired him mid-term a year later
The demise really accelerated when the AA renovation was "done"

It has never returned, and it will take a new AD to think outside the box, put in the effort, and compile a new staff top to bottom (including CJC) to do so. As long as Burman is leading Wyoming Athletics, Wyoming basketball will remain irrelevant to most Wyoming fans, and sans CSewe, attendance will stay low.

:twocents: :twocents:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

It's mostly the product on the court . We haven't finished above 4th(?) in 20+ years?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

The most embarrassing part is student attendance. We are facing a ranked team and and had about 50 students show up. A lot of this falls on the athletic department and Linder for failing to reach out to students and the local community.

The opposite is true for volleyball - - that seems to be priority #1.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:53 am The most embarrassing part is student attendance. We are facing a ranked team and and had about 50 students show up. A lot of this falls on the athletic department and Linder for failing to reach out to students and the local community.

When I was in school, I remember the first Shyatt year and he was in the dorms with players asking us to come to games. They worked at it. I get a sense that such an effort would be beneath Jeff Linder.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:23 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:53 am The most embarrassing part is student attendance. We are facing a ranked team and and had about 50 students show up. A lot of this falls on the athletic department and Linder for failing to reach out to students and the local community.

When I was in school, I remember the first Shyatt year and he was in the dorms with players asking us to come to games. They worked at it. I get a sense that such an effort would be beneath Jeff Linder.
I’m not aware of Linder doing anything really other than stating he wants more fans at games.

Volleyball team went to every season ticket holder’s house in Laramie to deliver tickets and meet the fans. Head coach personally emails ticket holders before games. Team goes to union before games to raise awareness with students and encourage attendance . And so on…
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Mark Branch stops by the Laramie club team practices every now and then and talks with the wrestlers and parents. Stuff like this can certainly help
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

100%. Steve Fisher famously walked SDSU's campus giving away tickets when he started coaching there.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

sandiegopoke wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:53 am 100%. Steve Fisher famously walked SDSU's campus giving away tickets when he started coaching there.
The problem is - our athletic department and booster club haven't had a new idea in 50 years. And they don't like change. They also like to be fat cats that will never even try to be more than lil' ol' WYO - trying is hard, excellence is unattainable in their views, and it's cold and windy in Laramie (and a billion other excuses). It's why, outside of women's basketball, we are, at best, mid. I think it is high time to erect a 100' tall statue of Craig Bohl in the middle of the athletic complex entitled "61-60: The Wyoming Way".
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:22 pm
sandiegopoke wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:53 am 100%. Steve Fisher famously walked SDSU's campus giving away tickets when he started coaching there.
The problem is - our athletic department and booster club haven't had a new idea in 50 years. And they don't like change. They also like to be fat cats that will never even try to be more than lil' ol' WYO - trying is hard, excellence is unattainable in their views, and it's cold and windy in Laramie (and a billion other excuses). It's why, outside of women's basketball, we are, at best, mid. I think it is high time to erect a 100' tall statue of Craig Bohl in the middle of the athletic complex entitled "61-60: The Wyoming Way".
A couple things:
-Tickets are already free for students at Wyoming. But how hard is it to walk around and hand out T-shirts with game invitations ?
-I don’t see the issue of fat cats. I see the issue of just giving a damn and doing something about it. The volleyball team and coach has put an emphasis on outreach with real results, what’s Linder’s and Burman’s excuse for Men’s basketball?
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:40 pm

A couple things:
-Tickets are already free for students at Wyoming. But how hard is it to walk around and hand out T-shirts with game invitations ?
-I don’t see the issue of fat cats. I see the issue of just giving a damn and doing something about it. The volleyball team and coach has put an emphasis on outreach with real results, what’s Linder’s and Burman’s excuse for Men’s basketball?
They are wannabe fat cats. When was the last time you saw Burman or Randy anywhere other than the luxury box at the War or in press row in the Arena during a game? I get visiting with big donors for a while in the AD box, but why not take a stroll amongst the "poors" from time to time to shake hands and thank folks for coming? It would literally take him 20 minutes to walk the concourses. They could park their happy asses at the turnstiles with the ticket takers and smile and kiss babies. Truth is, they love the emoluments of their position - and rubbing elbows with the powerful and rich while dining on prime rib and drinking expensive whiskey (i.e., acting like a FAT CAT).

The rest of what you say is absolutely true. I think Linder's attitude and personality suck. I'm sorry the guy lost his dad last season - that hurt and is a deep pain that lasts. That said, he strutted around after the NCAA play in birth and demanded a big contract and acted the part of Napolean. Now, the pressure is on. He may be a hell of a coach, but he is a crappy salesman and personnel guy. And next year will likely be worse. All of the scoring we have - which ain't much - is walking away. We already don't play defense. So next year is shaping up to be dandy.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Loved everything said here up until the end of a statute....no thanks on that, win us more Conference championships then maybe. And now that i reread it, i sense alot of well deserved sarcasm, so ok....UW needs to figure out how to get Laramie families involved especially to younger kids/fans or it'll stay the same for a loooong time, unfortunately, buy 2 tickets get 1 free or 1/2 price...something/anything...show u care a bit more than it seems you do! We could have something special if everything falls into place and the community wants to take part....like the ol saying goes, Maybe someday or next year!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Careful, the Saint Burman protection squad is probably offended.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

stymeman wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:40 am

Loved everything said here up until the end of a statute....no thanks on that, win us more Conference championships then maybe. And now that i reread it, i sense alot of well deserved sarcasm, so ok....UW needs to figure out how to get Laramie families involved especially to younger kids/fans or it'll stay the same for a loooong time, unfortunately, buy 2 tickets get 1 free or 1/2 price...something/anything...show u care a bit more than it seems you do! We could have something special if everything falls into place and the community wants to take part....like the ol saying goes, Maybe someday or next year!!!
Yes-my post was dripping with sarcasm.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

https://7220sports.com/wyomings-jeff-li ... mWBQ1dMc4s

Interestingly timed article. 4 years in and Linder just now asks the question of whether he and staff should be involved in getting students to games?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:51 pm https://7220sports.com/wyomings-jeff-li ... mWBQ1dMc4s

Interestingly timed article. 4 years in and Linder just now asks the question of whether he and staff should be involved in getting students to games?
Was just going to post this.

For students - there's no excuse. Get to the games even if we suck. What else are you going to do?? If you live in Laramie? No excuse, either.

The rest of the fan base I get it. We have not been very good for years and years. Even in our "good" seasons, which are sporadic, we haven't even finished better than fourth, 4TH!!! place. That's the best season since Marcus Bailey! All these other schools that have fantastic attendance actually win. Boise Bball used to be a joke... then they started to win, now they are a monster. Our roster completely turned over and we freaking SUCKED last year. we blew. What does Linder expect? People to show up to watch a poop team with players no one knows and will be gone next year anyway?

I believe UW fans would come back to watch if we just win - for even two years in a row. Just be contenders!

Other factors include the remodel that alienated real fans and shoved the students behind the basket.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Linders arrogance kind of wreaks……..
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Ironically I would use the same phrase "not good enough" to describe the team on the court. And I would like to hear Linder focus on that before pointing fingers at anyone else.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:05 am Ironically I would use the same phrase "not good enough" to describe the team on the court. And I would like to hear Linder focus on that before pointing fingers at anyone else.
I’d like Linder and staff to just do something simple and engage the student population. As mentioned above, his comments come off as very arrogant and read to me ‘engaging the student population is beneath me and my over $1million salary and I have much better things to do but fine I’ll do it out of necessity…’’

Scratch that - if that’s the attitude, maybe we don’t want him engaging with anyone.