Giles moving on

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

liked the guy really. I think he provided a lot of value with new recruits, etc.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Bummer but not surprising. Once Aaron Bohl was selected as Defensive coordinator and he was passed over, the writing was on the wall. He is returning to Houston for his 3rd stint there.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Gee, who couldn't see this coming :whistle:

He got screwed.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I asked him about A. Bohl. He was diplomatic. He was rarely in Laramie, though; he never even moved his family here. He is a very nice guy and I wish him the best.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:47 pm Gee, who couldn't see this coming :whistle:

He got screwed.
He sure did. I thought highly of him, and loved he was on our staff. He did a great job with our D Line. His title was Associate Head Coach/Head Freshman Coach/Defensive Run-Game Coordinator/Defensive Tackles. And UW / Sawvel promoted Aaron Bohl? Maybe not the right move, who knows.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Can't blame him. I still think Aaron Bohl's getting the DC nod was something Craig Bohl had made sure of before he recommended Sawvel get the head coach position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

doreno5 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:16 pm Can't blame him. I still think Aaron Bohl's getting the DC nod was something Craig Bohl had made sure of before he recommended Sawvel get the head coach position.
I personally think it was a semi-condition of Craig Bohl’s retirement and Aaron Bohl maybe going elsewhere if it didn’t happen.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:35 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:47 pm Gee, who couldn't see this coming :whistle:

He got screwed.
He sure did. I thought highly of him, and loved he was on our staff. He did a great job with our D Line. His title was Associate Head Coach/Head Freshman Coach/Defensive Run-Game Coordinator/Defensive Tackles. And UW / Sawvel promoted Aaron Bohl? Maybe not the right move, who knows.
Agree- who knows if it was the right move. It’s a big bummer to lose Giles and all of his connections and the way players thought of him.

But something to keep in mind is how long Giles has been coaching and the fact that he has never been a coordinator. Bohl is the young guy who would probably more likely be looked to by other teams for a coordinator position at this time in their careers.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:14 pm
doreno5 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:16 pm Can't blame him. I still think Aaron Bohl's getting the DC nod was something Craig Bohl had made sure of before he recommended Sawvel get the head coach position.
I personally think it was a semi-condition of Craig Bohl’s retirement and Aaron Bohl maybe going elsewhere if it didn’t happen.
I think you're right which means only Sawvell had a shot in order to open up the DC position.

Bad optics on numerous levels. I wish Giles the best. We might find out what happens if we don't recruit TX.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Cody is reporting that we've hired Jeff Phelps to replace Oscar. Jeff was at NDSU, Mississippi State and Wazzu (with Mike Leach) and Minnesota previously. Hope he's a great hire.
ImageImageImageImage
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

MrTitleist wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:03 pm Cody is reporting that we've hired Jeff Phelps to replace Oscar. Jeff was at NDSU, Mississippi State and Wazzu (with Mike Leach) and Minnesota previously. Hope he's a great hire.
Phelps was on the same staffs as Sawvel at Minnesota and Northern Illinois. Feels like he may have been brought on to have a more experienced voice on the defensive staff.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

doreno5 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:51 am
MrTitleist wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:03 pm Cody is reporting that we've hired Jeff Phelps to replace Oscar. Jeff was at NDSU, Mississippi State and Wazzu (with Mike Leach) and Minnesota previously. Hope he's a great hire.
Phelps was on the same staffs as Sawvel at Minnesota and Northern Illinois. Feels like he may have been brought on to have a more experienced voice on the defensive staff.
We already have ndsu’s dc on our staff. Definitely backup and help on the d side of the ball. I’m fine with our new OC, just wish we were getting some other O coaches who’ve been on innovative teams
W-Y, Until I Die!