Bertagnole is returning!!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Great things happening, imo.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Awesome news! Great player, great person and great family!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:39 pm Awesome news! Great player, great person and great family!
That is good news. He was introduced at senior day so I did not think he had any eligibility left
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

doreno5 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:23 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:39 pm Awesome news! Great player, great person and great family!
That is good news. He was introduced at senior day so I did not think he had any eligibility left
He had the 6th year Covid year. I was told he was certain he wasn’t coming back ( and couldn’t blame him with where he is in life). But this is great news!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 238 times

Nice! Things looking up for the Pokes
doreno5
Ranch Hand

I wish the athletic department would do some publicity which would give us better understanding of who the athletes are as persons in addition to their game stats. During the post game interviews almost all of the players have great personalities and seem like really good dudes.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

doreno5 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:29 pm I wish the athletic department would do some publicity which would give us better understanding of who the athletes are as persons in addition to their game stats. During the post game interviews almost all of the players have great personalities and seem like really good dudes.
I’ve talked to Bertagnole briefly. Great kid. If you have half a team of kids like him you would have a core to build around. Hard worker, committed, loyal and a kid you are never going to see in trouble. Kids like him, Logan Wilson etc are pretty special. His additional year adds a lot imo.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:08 pm
doreno5 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:29 pm I wish the athletic department would do some publicity which would give us better understanding of who the athletes are as persons in addition to their game stats. During the post game interviews almost all of the players have great personalities and seem like really good dudes.
I’ve talked to Bertagnole briefly. Great kid. If you have half a team of kids like him you would have a core to build around. Hard worker, committed, loyal and a kid you are never going to see in trouble. Kids like him, Logan Wilson etc are pretty special. His additional year adds a lot imo.
I've talked to a few over the years, and this is one of the things I'll give Bohl credit for. He definitely changed the culture and how he built a locker room.

I had a few interactions with guys during the DC days, and while I'm not going to name names, there were some real d*ckbags and there were definitely some dysfunctional personalities around.

It seems like that's MUCH less of a thing with Bohl-built teams...lots of real genuine down-to-earth guys with a hell of a work ethic, a sense of pride, and some damned manners. I've never had an interaction with a player from the last several years where I thought "how the hell does Bohl even coach this kid?"

Also makes you wonder...it's pretty rare for Bohl to dismiss folks from the team, but whenever he did, people threw a fit about it. Well...might be reasons for it, eh?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:32 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:08 pm

I've talked to a few over the years, and this is one of the things I'll give Bohl credit for. He definitely changed the culture and how he built a locker room.

I had a few interactions with guys during the DC days, and while I'm not going to name names, there were some real d*ckbags and there were definitely some dysfunctional personalities around.

It seems like that's MUCH less of a thing with Bohl-built teams...lots of real genuine down-to-earth guys with a hell of a work ethic, a sense of pride, and some damned manners. I've never had an interaction with a player from the last several years where I thought "how the hell does Bohl even coach this kid?"

Also makes you wonder...it's pretty rare for Bohl to dismiss folks from the team, but whenever he did, people threw a fit about it. Well...might be reasons for it, eh?
There were definitely some signs of self-absorbtion with some of those dismissals (Swen and Ghaifan come to mind). I'm sure that's not the only reason, but I know for a fact that he put up with Swen longer than he would have for most because of his skill.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:03 am
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:32 am

There were definitely some signs of self-absorbtion with some of those dismissals (Swen and Ghaifan come to mind). I'm sure that's not the only reason, but I know for a fact that he put up with Swen longer than he would have for most because of his skill.
I’ve talked with Waylee a bit as well, another great kid! Hope he stays through the spring portal opening. I have to believe with Bertagnole staying they have confidence in the new coaching staff.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:52 pm I have to believe with Bertagnole staying they have confidence in the new coaching staff.
This is an important aspect I think a few of us miss at times. Regardless of our own opinions and arguments on here, it seems like this team as a whole is sold on the staff, systems, and vision for the future. And that seems to include all of the previous recruits too, who stuck with Sawvell through signing day.

I think that speaks volumes.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:52 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:03 am

I’ve talked with Waylee a bit as well, another great kid! Hope he stays through the spring portal opening. I have to believe with Bertagnole staying they have confidence in the new coaching staff.
There are so many D1 caliber football athletes out there, that want to play the game. They aren't chasing dollars, or going to the highest bidder...they are going to go where they fit, and where they can play. Maybe it will work for WYO. Maybe not. Hoping it does...it comes down to coaching, fit, etc.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:57 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:52 pm I have to believe with Bertagnole staying they have confidence in the new coaching staff.
This is an important aspect I think a few of us miss at times. Regardless of our own opinions and arguments on here, it seems like this team as a whole is sold on the staff, systems, and vision for the future. And that seems to include all of the previous recruits too, who stuck with Sawvell through signing day.

If they had a chance to go make money then they would be gone. That's not going to change regardless of staff.

I think it says they feel more comfortable with a guaranteed scholarship with this staff vs the unknown of the portal. The last few years of portal data likely speaks the loudest.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
doreno5
Ranch Hand

Bertagnole is betting on himself. With his injury he was not going to get drafted this year anyhow. He knows he is a key part of Wyoming's defensive plans and will get the chance to shine on game tape. He could have opted into the portal but that would mean going to a new system with new coaches who do not know him or necessarily will give him playing time he needs for NFL teams to evaluate .
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:09 pm
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:57 am

If they had a chance to go make money then they would be gone. That's not going to change regardless of staff.

I think it says they feel more comfortable with a guaranteed scholarship with this staff vs the unknown of the portal. The last few years of portal data likely speaks the loudest.
I'll repeat this anytime it comes up: Josh Allen turned down $20M-$30m GUARANTEED to come back to Wyoming. So yes the staff and situation matter.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:57 am

I'll repeat this anytime it comes up: Josh Allen turned down $20M-$30m GUARANTEED to come back to Wyoming. So yes the staff and situation matter.
This is an apples to oranges comparison. For rookie contracts under the CBA in the NFL, draft slot determines the compensation for the next 4-5 years. Josh Allen would not have been picked in the top 10 had he come out after the 2016 season (likely not even in the top 20). He ended up making significantly more guaranteed money on his rookie contract by staying the extra year. So had he flamed out (which we all know he didn't), he made the wise money decision to stay. \

Had the portal been available at the time, I doubt we keep Josh Allen for 2017 but that is pure speculation.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:11 am

This is an apples to oranges comparison. For rookie contracts under the CBA in the NFL, draft slot determines the compensation for the next 4-5 years. Josh Allen would not have been picked in the top 10 had he come out after the 2016 season (likely not even in the top 20). He ended up making significantly more guaranteed money on his rookie contract by staying the extra year. So had he flamed out (which we all know he didn't), he made the wise money decision to stay. \

Had the portal been available at the time, I doubt we keep Josh Allen for 2017 but that is pure speculation.
You don't know where he would have been drafted after 2016. There were rumors of top 10
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Revisionist history. Allen was top 5 in many 2017 mock drafts before announcing he was coming back. The day of the 2017 draft is when Adam Schefter reported that a scout believed Allen would be the #1 pick in 2018. His stock was sky high at that time. Put it this way - he had a down year (with a shoulder injury) in 2018 and a team still traded up to pick him in the top ten.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:23 am

Revisionist history. Allen was top 5 in many 2017 mock drafts before announcing he was coming back. The day of the 2017 draft is when Adam Schefter reported that a scout believed Allen would be the #1 pick in 2018. His stock was sky high at that time. Put it this way - he had a down year (with a shoulder injury) in 2018 and a team still traded up to pick him in the top ten.
Yes, we all love to believe in a good fairytale.

Let the record reflect that Josh Allen returned to Wyoming in 2017 despite being a sure fire top 5 NFL pick and despite losing all of his offensive weapons (including Roullier, Hill, Gentry, etc..).
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Josh had info that his draft stock would be better with another year. Cleveland and Chicago were 1-2 and Allen was rated quite a bit lower than Trubisky, Mahomes, and Watson. Another QB want taken until 2nd round. Watson was selected 12th. Good chance Allen falls maybe even to 2nd round in that draft.

Apples to apples, my guess in today's nil/transfer rules, Josh doesn't end his career here.

Is what it is. If big dogs wanted our players, they'd be gone.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.