I find myself rooting against The Zags

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

can’t help it. Roast away…..YES it’s more rooting against Ike.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Same. Call it sour grapes, but I'll never root for Ike again.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

Same. My son and I were cheering for the Broncos last night. I normally don't care about transfers much. But Ike's transfer was shady. He put himself above the team - which is his prerogative, especially with the money he had at risk - but that makes him fair game for criticism. Business is business. I know he was injured, but I have informed suspicions that he could have returned and helped his team last year if he wanted to.

That said, we have enough to say grace over to resurrect our program to spend too much time on an ex-Cowboy.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

LawPoke wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:47 am Same. My son and I were cheering for the Broncos last night. I normally don't care about transfers much. But Ike's transfer was shady. He put himself above the team - which is his prerogative, especially with the money he had at risk - but that makes him fair game for criticism. Business is business. I know he was injured, but I have informed suspicions that he could have returned and helped his team last year if he wanted to.

That said, we have enough to say grace over to resurrect our program to spend too much time on an ex-Cowboy.
I have those same suspicions. Word was that he was able to return on his original time table, but had already decided that he was going to chase bags instead of helping his team.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

He's a loser. Forget him
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:22 am
LawPoke wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:47 am Same. My son and I were cheering for the Broncos last night. I normally don't care about transfers much. But Ike's transfer was shady. He put himself above the team - which is his prerogative, especially with the money he had at risk - but that makes him fair game for criticism. Business is business. I know he was injured, but I have informed suspicions that he could have returned and helped his team last year if he wanted to.

I have those same suspicions. Word was that he was able to return on his original time table, but had already decided that he was going to chase bags instead of helping his team.
He did make sure to visit the boys and girls club a few days before transferring…

Was that out of the goodness of his heart or merely to fulfill an NIL contract at Wyoming and capture a bag of cash from Wyoming before going to get a bag of cash from Gonzaga? We can only speculate.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:24 am
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:22 am

He did make sure to visit the boys and girls club a few days before transferring…

Was that out of the goodness of his heart or merely to fulfill an NIL contract at Wyoming and capture a bag of cash from Wyoming before going to get a bag of cash from Gonzaga? We can only speculate.
In the era of NIL and the porthole, my starting assumption is that it is tied to money and contractual responsibilities. And I hate that I have become so jaded and suspicious so quickly. College athletics are now a business and the players and coaches are simply contractors. It used to be different, but those days are gone. I don't begrudge kids getting actual value for the use of their name, image or likeness, but we all know that NIL is just a laundering vehicle for unrestricted booster funds to buy players.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

If we had NIL BITD, which of the following players would have transferred:

- Leckner
- Dembo
- Slater
- Q Higgins
- Bailey
- Udezue
- Etc.

Probably 75% or more. We would probably never landed Quientonia Higgins. He was a McDonald's All-American.

So I don't really harbor any ill will toward Ike. How stupid would a guy have to be to forgo real money?
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

The solution? Eliminate one of them. Either allow transfers or NIL but not both. It’s ridiculous that you can recruit a guy everyone else overlooked and once he shines he can be lured away with big money. This situation is ruining college athletics.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

ZapPoke wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:20 am The solution? Eliminate one of them. Either allow transfers or NIL but not both. It’s ridiculous that you can recruit a guy everyone else overlooked and once he shines he can be lured away with big money. This situation is ruining college athletics.
That’s the problem you can’t. Courts have ruled the NCAA simply eliminating either would be a Sherman Antitrust Act violation.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Lost Poke wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:06 am If we had NIL BITD, which of the following players would have transferred:

- Leckner
- Dembo
- Slater
- Q Higgins
- Bailey
- Udezue
- Etc.

Probably 75% or more. We would probably never landed Quientonia Higgins. He was a McDonald's All-American.

So I don't really harbor any ill will toward Ike. How stupid would a guy have to be to forgo real money?
Glad we never had to worry about this....to not know Fennis just wouldn't exist in my Poke World, thank goodness
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

The real problem is that we are running minor league professional sporting leagues through our universities. It’s a bizarre set up if you really think about it. It has been like that for a long time, but NIL is really laying bare this systems flaws.

The spread in athletic budgets amongst universities and their donors is massive. As such, it makes for a set-up where large programs can easily poach talent from teams with less resources relatively easily. If our minor league systems were run by a private organization, it would be easy to institute a salary cap system or, at the very least, require certain financial obligations to be met in order to compete in the league. This would offer much more parity if that is the goal.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

TheRealUW wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:51 am The real problem is that we are running minor league professional sporting leagues through our universities. It’s a bizarre set up if you really think about it. It has been like that for a long time, but NIL is really laying bare this systems flaws.

The spread in athletic budgets amongst universities and their donors is massive. As such, it makes for a set-up where large programs can easily poach talent from teams with less resources relatively easily. If our minor league systems were run by a private organization, it would be easy to institute a salary cap system or, at the very least, require certain financial obligations to be met in order to compete in the league. This would offer much more parity if that is the goal.
I'd argue it's even more than a minor league. Guys are getting paid more to play college ball than they would get in the NFL, in some cases.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Zags go down in the WCC tourney. Yippee
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

They'll get seeded a 6 seed but will get shipped away from Spokane, hope they at least make a Sweet 16 run...love Mark Few and his system
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

stymeman wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:15 am They'll get seeded a 6 seed but will get shipped away from Spokane, hope they at least make a Sweet 16 run...love Mark Few and his system
f-word the Zags and Ike