Who's your favorite WYO QB ever?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I bring this up because Peasley really climbed the ladder for me this year. That final drive-opening laser he threw in Tucson before collapsing on the turf was pretty special, and really emblematic of the kind of style he's played for Wyoming the last two years. His week-to-week consistency was the biggest question mark, but when he showed up, he really willed the team to some important wins. I'd like to thank his wife for suffering through this season with us, worrying week after week about whether he would get back to the sideline (or home) under his own power. Thanks, Pease...

I still hold Josh Wallwork up as my favorite Cowboy QB. So efficient and tough, and of course surrounded by some real talent. And his independent personality and style resonated with me. I'll put Brett Smith second, but he could never be my favorite after his ill-advised early entry into the draft. Oh, what might have been..... On a side note, the play in Laramie way back when where Toledo bent Brett over backwards down the sidelines and knocked him out for a game has always stuck with me. From where I sat in Tucson Saturday, their defensive culture looks the same. Even on the play where Pease was helped off the field, the tackler had a forearm on his facemask. There are punishers and there are tacklers. I prefer tacklers, and so do neurologists.
Last edited by GOWYO on Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Josh Allen is my favorite. And I’ll say it’s because of the exposure, but some of the passes he made and resolve he showed to win many last minute games. He’s a pretty great kid to.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Chris Stutzreim gets an honorable mention.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Always enjoyed watching the local Bramlet Boys. The Vegas Bowl win over UCLA is one of my favorite bowl wins.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

1. Allen
2. Smith
3. Wallwork
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

I really liked Joe Hughes when I was a kid.. then he snubbed me for an autograph after the Border War, then he was not my favorite. Ryan Yarborough gave me an autograph that night though. My first UW game.

In no particular order...
Allen
Stutzreim
Corey Bramlet
Brett Smith
Dax Crum, only because SVP loved him
Josh Wallwork
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

My favorite QBs....

Randy Welniak because he won an actual Conference Championship for us.
Josh Allen....nuff said!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Allen and Smith for sure; Peas is pretty up there though.

I also still have a soft spot for Sean Chambers though. He may not have worked out and he wasn't a great passer, but there's a reason he was soooo popular in the locker room (and with fans). Great personality, great team player, similar "gamer" mentality to Peas (especially on the run), and fought through just as much injury bullsh*t as Peas.

I really wish that our offensive philosophy overall had been better and that we had better QB development (Vigen was a terrible QB coach and we all know it). Chambers might have had a bit of a better shot (the injuries aside). That first year was a glimpse of what could have been.

I will forever remember that stiff arm against Mizzou.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

Burnett, Welniak, Wallwork, Corontzos.
GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:58 pm Allen and Smith for sure; Peas is pretty up there though.

I also still have a soft spot for Sean Chambers though. He may not have worked out and he wasn't a great passer, but there's a reason he was soooo popular in the locker room (and with fans). Great personality, great team player, similar "gamer" mentality to Peas (especially on the run), and fought through just as much injury bullsh*t as Peas.

I really wish that our offensive philosophy overall had been better and that we had better QB development (Vigen was a terrible QB coach and we all know it). Chambers might have had a bit of a better shot (the injuries aside). That first year was a glimpse of what could have been.

I am almost certain that I saw Sean Chambers at the game in Tucson... Is that possible?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

GOWYO wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:58 pm
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:58 pm Allen and Smith for sure; Peas is pretty up there though.

I am almost certain that I saw Sean Chambers at the game in Tucson... Is that possible?
His playing career is over. It’s possible.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:53 pm
GOWYO wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:58 pm

The Casper Star article says that he was there supporting Wyoming.

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming ... -top-story
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LawPoke wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:13 pm Burnett, Welniak, Wallwork, Corontzos.
The first 2 on that list are spot on. Craig Burnett is an often forgotten great qb. Welniak was a great dual threat.
Just in terms of wow factor, it has to be JA. He made throws that no other Wyo. qb could make.
And his speed was just incredible for his size. Brett Smith has to be up there somewhere. Wish he had stayed for his senior season.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:54 am
LawPoke wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:13 pm Burnett, Welniak, Wallwork, Corontzos.
The first 2 on that list are spot on. Craig Burnett is an often forgotten great qb. Welniak was a great dual threat.
Just in terms of wow factor, it has to be JA. He made throws that no other Wyo. qb could make.
And his speed was just incredible for his size. Brett Smith has to be up there somewhere. Wish he had stayed for his senior season.
I was pretty young watching Burnett, but he was a great manager. I agree - JA should be on the list. Absolutely.

Wallwork is an interesting case - he had the best WR ever to play at UW, so that helped him. I looked back at the 1996 WAC Championship stats and was reminded that he threw 3 INTs to BYU. That alone may be disqualifying. However, his drive against the Sheep re-elevates him in my book.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Joe Mastrogiovanni.

He played running back before switching to the Cowboy's first passing QB. He also punted and did fields goals. He also played in the defensive backfield. Quite a character.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:18 am
bladerunnr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:54 am

I was pretty young watching Burnett, but he was a great manager. I agree - JA should be on the list. Absolutely.

Wallwork is an interesting case - he had the best WR ever to play at UW, so that helped him. I looked back at the 1996 WAC Championship stats and was reminded that he threw 3 INTs to BYU. That alone may be disqualifying. However, his drive against the Sheep re-elevates him in my book.
I was at that game (csewe in 1996). Walwork completed nearly every pass to Harris on that drive.

Regarding Welniak: great player but he was only a starter for 1 season. But it was a great season!
Walwork was a fine player who had a lot of great players around him. He's not one of my picks but I wouldn't argue against him.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Should rename the topic…how old are you 😂
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

My List:
Josh Allen
Josh Wallwork
Brett Smith

Honorable Mention:
Casey Bramlet
Andrew Peasley
Chris Stutzreim
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:39 am Should rename the topic…how old are you 😂
Fair. Very fair.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

doreno5 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:31 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:53 pm

The Casper Star article says that he was there supporting Wyoming.

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming ... -top-story
That was a pretty “top shelf” gesture on Sean’s part. I always liked the kid.