Aaron Bohl the new DC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

CowboyNV wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:42 pm We've seen this movie before, when Larry Shyatt left the SECOND time. Promoted Edwards, kept baby Shyatt, and we all know how well that turned out. If this turns into a similar train wreck, Burman needs to be the first one fired. Like Ragtime, I'll bookmark this and see what happens over the next two or three years. Unlike a lot of you, I don't have a high degree of confidence in Tommy boy and his internal hires.
If this turns into an Alan Edwards level collapse... That would be a debacle.... And is definitely possible.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

307bball wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:04 pm
CowboyNV wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:42 pm We've seen this movie before, when Larry Shyatt left the SECOND time. Promoted Edwards, kept baby Shyatt, and we all know how well that turned out. If this turns into a similar train wreck, Burman needs to be the first one fired. Like Ragtime, I'll bookmark this and see what happens over the next two or three years. Unlike a lot of you, I don't have a high degree of confidence in Tommy boy and his internal hires.
If this turns into an Alan Edwards level collapse... That would be a debacle.... And is definitely possible.
External hires have also been debacles. Before Edwards we had Schroyer. None of the past is relevant. They’ll either succeed or fail. Most hires fail. Christensen blew, no one is arguing we should never hire from outside because he did. Y’all act like there’s some sort of guarantee we’ll be successful. Literally every hire usually had some level of success before they’re hired.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:22 pm
307bball wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:04 pm

External hires have also been debacles. Before Edwards we had Schroyer. None of the past is relevant. They’ll either succeed or fail. Most hires fail. Christensen blew, no one is arguing we should never hire from outside because he did. Y’all act like there’s some sort of guarantee we’ll be successful. Literally every hire usually had some level of success before they’re hired.
Very true
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

307bball wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:50 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:15 pm

Bookmarked. Will be interesting next fall.
A failure to do better than Craig Bohl did proves nothing. Any failure to reach the top in Wyoming football in the modern era can be attributable to the external factors that you and I hashed out on the other thread. Literally the only way that gets proven wrong is if somebody comes along and pulls 35 or so wins out over four years along with a chip...until then, you can't say with certainty that the lack of high end success is due to coaching or admin.
Let damriver stand by its claim. Not your dog.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Chad with a quick YouTube/Twitter Live tonight with the hiring of Aaron Bohl:
ImageImageImageImage
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:51 pm
McPeachy wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:13 pm

I think Wyoming (and some fans certainly) need to stop thinking like this. If they (players, coaches, administrators) go, they go. We need to be out of the box thinking enough, and work hard enough, to go after the gold, regardless what is or isn't within our control.
Who's to say that out-of-the-box thinking isn't promoting from within? That's not exactly a common practice in FBS football these days. I'm not saying we shouldn't have looked outside of the program for a DC, but promoting a promising young coach that is already on staff isn't automatically a bad move.
Sure, and this guy is available...but maybe didn't get a sniff. Why?

On January 10, 2017, Hazelton was reunited with Craig Bohl when he was hired as the defensive coordinator for the Wyoming Cowboys. In his first season, the Wyoming defense was 1st in the nation in takeaways, 9th in the nation in scoring defense, and 1st in the Mountain West Conference in sacks. In 2019, the Cowboys again finished in the top-30 in the nation in scoring defense and total defense. 13 defenders earned all-conference honors while Hazelton was their coordinator.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:57 pm I didn’t realize how young A. Bohl is. Ehhhh makes one raise an eyebrow
Not only that, but look at his experience coaching sometime. That is certainly a concern...at least for me I guess...LOL! :rofl:
Dear Karma,

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:20 am

Who's to say that out-of-the-box thinking isn't promoting from within? That's not exactly a common practice in FBS football these days. I'm not saying we shouldn't have looked outside of the program for a DC, but promoting a promising young coach that is already on staff isn't automatically a bad move.
The answer as to why is more than obvious.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

On January 10, 2017, Hazelton was reunited with Craig Bohl when he was hired as the defensive coordinator for the Wyoming Cowboys. In his first season, the Wyoming defense was 1st in the nation in takeaways, 9th in the nation in scoring defense, and 1st in the Mountain West Conference in sacks. In 2019, the Cowboys again finished in the top-30 in the nation in scoring defense and total defense. 13 defenders earned all-conference honors while Hazelton was their coordinator.
Maybe he wasn't interested. His contract runs for another year and he's making over a million bucks. I'd assume he holds out for a better job.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Let me start by saying that landing Hazelton would be the best case scenario. He's been the best DC here in my lifetime, and there's not a fan here that wouldn't love to have him back. That being said, he was making $1.1MM at Michigan State. If I were a betting man I'd say that we'd have to pay him north of $750k to get him back to Laramie, and that's a non-starter.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:34 am

Let me start by saying that landing Hazelton would be the best case scenario. He's been the best DC here in my lifetime, and there's not a fan here that wouldn't love to have him back. That being said, he was making $1.1MM at Michigan State. If I were a betting man I'd say that we'd have to pay him north of $750k to get him back to Laramie, and that's a non-starter.
You sound like Burman, lol. "We will never pay a head coach $1,000,000 at the University of Wyoming," - Tom Burman

If we want to be Montana State / Idaho State / Eastern Washington, then you are right. If we want to be the best in the MW conference...........
Dear Karma,

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

Wonder how Hendriks and Giles feel about this. Are we going to be looking for a bunch of new position coaches?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

flyfishwyo wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:25 am

Maybe he wasn't interested. His contract runs for another year and he's making over a million bucks. I'd assume he holds out for a better job.
Could be. Then again, if he is pulling 1.1 and not working, why not come home-ish?
Dear Karma,

WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:46 am
WYO1016 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:34 am

You sound like Burman, lol. "We will never pay a head coach $1,000,000 at the University of Wyoming," - Tom Burman

If we want to be Montana State / Idaho State / Eastern Washington, then you are right. If we want to be the best in the MW conference...........
It's a non-starter to pay a coordinator $750k when the head coach is making $900k. A scenario like that has not and will not ever happen in college football. If we were still paying the head coach $2.3MM I could see that salary happening.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:47 am
flyfishwyo wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:25 am

Could be. Then again, if he is pulling 1.1 and not working, why not come home-ish?
Makes you wonder why he wasn't considered for hc? Then again, I guess it doesn't.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:31 am
McPeachy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:46 am

It's a non-starter to pay a coordinator $750k when the head coach is making $900k.
So...are you stating that UW took the path of least resistance (least amount of work, no imagination, no drive, no desire, etc.) with our HC hire? :popcorn:
Dear Karma,

WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:50 am
WYO1016 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:31 am

It's a non-starter to pay a coordinator $750k when the head coach is making $900k.
So...are you stating that UW took the path of least resistance (least amount of work, no imagination, no drive, no desire, etc.) with our HC hire? :popcorn:
Quite the opposite. I'm guessing that the AD is getting FAR more heat for this hire than he would if he were to pluck a head coach from a lower tier school or a coordinator from a higher tier school.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:49 pm
McPeachy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:50 am

Quite the opposite. I'm guessing that the AD is getting FAR more heat for this hire than he would if he were to pluck a head coach from a lower tier school or a coordinator from a higher tier school.
In other words...if this hire bombs, Burman is on the unemployment line?
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:23 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:49 pm

I get the impression that he's got a pretty long leash. That being said, if this blows up in his face I wouldn't be sad to see him go.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:43 pm
Wyokie wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:23 pm

I get the impression that he's got a pretty long leash. That being said, if this blows up in his face I wouldn't be sad to see him go.
Wait, what!!??? :rofl: