Sawvel's Staff

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Now that we know we'll have a new head coach next season, let's take a look at the staff as it currently sits and ponder over who stays and who goes.

OC/QB: Tim Polasek
RB/Recruiting: Gordie Haug
WR: Mike Grant
TE/FB: Shannon Moore
OL: Joe Tripoldi

DC/Safeties: Vacant
Cornerbacks: Benny Boyd
DT/Freshmen: Oscar Giles
DE: Brian Hendricks
LB: Aaron Bohl
S&C: Eric Donoval

Associate head coaches: Giles & Grant
Special Teams: Grant/Moore/Boyd

I think Aaron Bohl has a pretty decent shot at being the next D coordinator. Our LBs have been nothing short of spectacular under him. Oscar Giles is a vet that also has a good shot.

Mike Grant should be shown the door immediately after the game. Our passing game has been horrible under him, as have our receivers.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I wonder if Giles and/or Polasek wanted the HC job, too. If they did, I wonder if they will stick around for the new regime. It will be interesting to see how this all goes down.

And, yes. Please jettison Grant once and for all.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I would anticipate that we hear about staff very soon (and likely before the bowl game). Any transfer portal entries will be interesting too as it might give some insight into staff shakeups (if any).
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:08 am I would anticipate that we hear about staff very soon (and likely before the bowl game). Any transfer portal entries will be interesting too as it might give some insight into staff shakeups (if any).
Also our verbal commits.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

I hope the offense is looked at. That we open it up a little bit.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

-Grant needs to be gone immediately.

-I wouldn't shed a tear for Boyd if he was sent packing.

-Sawvell needs to nail the DC hire.

Other than that, I'm good for now. (Yes, I'm even okay with Polasek being given at least a year, for a few reasons.)
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:08 am I would anticipate that we hear about staff very soon (and likely before the bowl game). Any transfer portal entries will be interesting too as it might give some insight into staff shakeups (if any).
There's no chance in hell anything is done about staff until after the bowl game. It's the Bohl show until they get back from Tucson.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:08 am
There's no chance in hell anything is done about staff until after the bowl game. It's the Bohl show until they get back from Tucson.
Which is good. The new coach needs time to assess whether to retain current staff, look for replacements if he or they decide to part ways, and to finish up recruiting this years recruits/transfers.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

doreno5 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:10 am
WYO1016 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:08 am

Which is good. The new coach needs time to assess whether to retain current staff, look for replacements if he or they decide to part ways, and to finish up recruiting this years recruits/transfers.
Boyd and Grant need to go. We need a ST Coordinator. The DC pick...I wouldn't hire from within.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

LawPoke wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:18 am
doreno5 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:10 am
Boyd and Grant need to go. We need a ST Coordinator. The DC pick...I wouldn't hire from within.
A guy that has held the positions that Sawvel has held will have a pretty good rolodex of people he could reach out to for DC. I'm not saying we need to hire from the outside, but if we do I feel like he's got some really good names in mind.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:28 am
LawPoke wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:18 am

A guy that has held the positions that Sawvel has held will have a pretty good rolodex of people he could reach out to for DC. I'm not saying we need to hire from the outside, but if we do I feel like he's got some really good names in mind.
Yep. The least of my concerns. Grant is the worst coach on the team.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Sawvel likes three down linemen vs the four Bohl liked. Wonder what will win out. We will need more linebackers if we run primarily three down linemen
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:31 am Sawvel likes three down linemen vs the four Bohl liked. Wonder what will win out. We will need more linebackers if we run primarily three down linemen
I'd say he likes 3 down in some situations. Not sure that's always true. I saw plenty of teams switch between 3 and 4 man fronts during games this season.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Overall I thought the offense was a LOT better this year compared to other years and that the play calling was a lot better and more opened up. Some of it wasn’t executed as well as it could have been but was happier with it then past years.

Be interesting to see what happens with all of the position cos he’s though and who we might bring in for a DC., I would hope they bring in a DC and not have the head coach trying to coach the defense also. Just my opinion.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

seattlecowboy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:52 pm Overall I thought the offense was a LOT better this year compared to other years and that the play calling was a lot better and more opened up. Some of it wasn’t executed as well as it could have been but was happier with it then past years.

Be interesting to see what happens with all of the position cos he’s though and who we might bring in for a DC., I would hope they bring in a DC and not have the head coach trying to coach the defense also. Just my opinion.
Sawvel said in the press conference that he's going to be hands off on the defense and let the coordinator handle it.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:02 pm
Sawvel said in the press conference that he's going to be hands off on the defense and let the coordinator handle it.
Burman confirmed that was the mentality in discussions between he and Sawvell. Also applied to the offensive side of the ball as well.

Just reiterates the point that he needs to nail the DC hire and make sure that whoever it is, is a good fit for what we do. I'd be real nervous if we completely turn over scheme and systems.

A) If it ain't broke, don't fix it

B) You risk losing current players and recruits by upending your entire system
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:10 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:02 pm
Burman confirmed that was the mentality in discussions between he and Sawvell. Also applied to the offensive side of the ball as well.

Just reiterates the point that he needs to nail the DC hire and make sure that whoever it is, is a good fit for what we do. I'd be real nervous if we completely turn over scheme and systems.

A) If it ain't broke, don't fix it

B) You risk losing current players and recruits by upending your entire system
Almost a 100% guarantee that Sawvel will not allow a scheme change. He will hire / promote a DC that is on the same page with his philosophy on D (as he should).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

If Aaron Bohl is new dc, it'll be even more obvious about what t really happened. I'll withhold further comment to see what really transpires.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:23 pm If Aaron Bohl is new dc, it'll be even more obvious about what t really happened. I'll withhold further comment to see what really transpires.
Aaron talked to Fargo Media this week about his father and legacy at NDSU and brought up the fact that Craig Bohl was considered 1 of the top 10 DC's when he was at Nebraska and Was the DC at NDSU basically while he coached.

reading between the lines, Aaron Bohl wants to be a DC like his father and Yes I believe Craig stepping down as his did timing-wise might get Aaron the DC job.

we shall see...........
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

lakesbison wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:56 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:23 pm If Aaron Bohl is new dc, it'll be even more obvious about what t really happened. I'll withhold further comment to see what really transpires.
Aaron talked to Fargo Media this week about his father and legacy at NDSU and brought up the fact that Craig Bohl was considered 1 of the top 10 DC's when he was at Nebraska and Was the DC at NDSU basically while he coached.

reading between the lines, Aaron Bohl wants to be a DC like his father and Yes I believe Craig stepping down as his did timing-wise might get Aaron the DC job.

we shall see...........
I agree and tells the real story which is b.s.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.