Jay Sawvel named head coach

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:01 pm Well, 1 thing about it, we'll know by this time next year. No first year coach excuse bs. He doesn't get that leash as an internal hire.
It will be different that is for sure. If Bohl were staying....which most of us thought was going to happen, what were anybody's way too early prediction? Bohl sort of outperformed my expectations last year and this year....I don't think I'm alone in that.

If Sawvel is a continuation of Bohl...which seams like a reasonable assumption, Is the talent level looking to go up, down or stay about the same? That would impact next years result's the most, assuming that Sawvel is a continuation of Bohl.

I guess I would be surprised if he were as good of a HC as Bohl right away...after all..Bohl did it for a very long time and better than most, despite what some Wyoming fans would have you believe. Best case...he's got the make-up to draw talent at both the player and staff level and he get's poached in two years.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

307bball wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:45 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:01 pm Well, 1 thing about it, we'll know by this time next year. No first year coach excuse bs. He doesn't get that leash as an internal hire.
It will be different that is for sure. If Bohl were staying....which most of us thought was going to happen, what were anybody's way too early prediction? Bohl sort of outperformed my expectations last year and this year....I don't think I'm alone in that.

If Sawvel is a continuation of Bohl...which seams like a reasonable assumption, Is the talent level looking to go up, down or stay about the same? That would impact next years result's the most, assuming that Sawvel is a continuation of Bohl.

I guess I would be surprised if he were as good of a HC as Bohl right away...after all..Bohl did it for a very long time and better than most, despite what some Wyoming fans would have you believe. Best case...he's got the make-up to draw talent at both the player and staff level and he get's poached in two years.
From what both Burman and Sawvell have said, there are definitely some differences in philosophy and some changes that will be made. And yes, while it is an internal hire and that avoids some hurdles and hiccups, and he has been around a lot of really good HCs...it will still be his first year ever in the HC capacity, which is a different beast than being a DC and unit coach. Last but not least, a lot hinges on who the DC hire is (and any other staff changes that are made). There WILL be systems changes that players and coaches will have to adapt to, even if the DC runs a system pretty close to what Sawvell and Bohl themselves ran.

And our OoC schedule next year isn't a cakewalk. P5, high-level FCS, P5, and either WSU or OSU (which will still basically be P5 level next year).

I'm honestly not looking forward to starting 0-4 or 1-3 (2-2 at absolute best) and having everyone screaming to fire Sawvell already and burn the whole house down, but it's probably gonna happen. Lol.

Does he get the leash of a normal first-year hire? No. Does he gets the leash that Bohl did? HELL no. But with very rare exceptions, I believe in giving coaches 2 years minimum.

Give him year one (unless we go 2-10 or something just incredibly stupid).

If we slide backwards in year 2, fire him.

If we maintain in year two, let him cook one more year.

Then after that, you go from there. If he slides backwards in year three, fire him. If he progresses, great. If he maintains.....well, we get to have the Great Bohl Debate all over again, lol.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 130 times

Anything less than 6 wins destroys the false narrative of "hiring to not blow up the program".

How about this: less than 6 wins and we fire Burman for blowing smoke up our ass about an internal hire?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:06 pm Anything less than 6 wins destroys the false narrative of "hiring to not blow up the program".

How about this: less than 6 wins and we fire Burman for blowing smoke up our ass about an internal hire?
Hire 'em and fire 'em right? Just keep rolling them bones.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:56 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:06 pm Anything less than 6 wins destroys the false narrative of "hiring to not blow up the program".

:rofl: yeah, a hc around for 10 years and a an ad for 17. We're rollin them bones

I hope he's successful but I disagree with the approach. Burman acting like he did an exhaustive analysis of options and situations before deciding on this is b.s. 17 years and no conference championship is justifiable reason for concern in his decision process. He was/is in charge of a department where independent professionals deemed it accepting of mediocrity. This hiring process and 17 years of data lend more credence to the report than what Burman says.

I guess ole Tom finally wins with me. We're little ole WYO in the middle of nowhere. We need to temper expectations accordingly.

You guys are right. This process and hire are perfect. Cowboy Tough!
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

DP
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

I think 6 wins is a reasonable minimum for year one, yea. Less than that is a large enough backslide from a decade of relative stability (in spite of a smooth coaching transition) that it grants an exception to my usual "give coaches two years" rule.

I'd expect at least 7 regular season wins in years two and three as the definition of "maintaining"; anything less is fireable.

After year three, again, we can have the Great Bohl Debate all over again and see if maintaining is good enough for us or if we want to try again for more.

As for firing Burman...idk. Whole other can of worms.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 313 times
Been liked: 121 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:02 am

:rofl: yeah, a hc around for 10 years and a an ad for 17. We're rollin them bones

I hope he's successful but I disagree with the approach. Burman acting like he did an exhaustive analysis of options and situations before deciding on this is b.s. 17 years and no conference championship is justifiable reason for concern in his decision process. He was/is in charge of a department where independent professionals deemed it accepting of mediocrity. This hiring process and 17 years of data lend more credence to the report than what Burman says.

I guess ole Tom finally wins with me. We're little ole WYO in the middle of nowhere. We need to temper expectations accordingly.

I am on the same page with you Ragtime - 17 years, and the fewest amount of MWC championships than any other program. Think about how great that success story is. :brick:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Sorry...wasn't clear...I'm not saying that is what Burman is doing....I'm asking if that is what you are advocating for.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:10 am

Sorry...wasn't clear...I'm not saying that is what Burman is doing....I'm asking if that is what you are advocating for.
Water under the bridge at this point but we already had 2 mill in the hc coffer. I think it was a huge mistake to not at minimum conduct an open search with a 2.5 mill carrot.

Look, if he hired Nick Saban, all this nonsense about not blowing up the program would be nonexistent. Obviously Nick Saban isn't coming but you can't tell me 1) that he couldn't get another 250k-500k to add to Bohl's salary and 2) that there are 0 good options in that salary range.

Mind boggling process that I think highlights the findings in the Sternberg report.

At this point, I'm saying that if Burman botched this as indicated by fewer than 6 wins next year, he needs to be moved to another administrative position and let someone else take over the ad.

If in 2 or 3 years, if the program is soaring, then give him a nice raise to help with his eventual retirement.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:35 am

I am on the same page with you Ragtime - 17 years, and the fewest amount of MWC championships than any other program. Think about how great that success story is. :brick:
Championships are what you and I want....Burman wants them as well, but he keeps his job the same way that Bohl did....high football attendance. Everything else can go off the rails but as long as the war is full and donations don't ebb...he's safe. Your problem is not with Burman.
Last edited by 307bball on Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:20 am
307bball wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:10 am
Water under the bridge at this point but we already had 2 mill in the hc coffer. I think it was a huge mistake to not at minimum conduct an open search with a 2.5 mill carrot.

Look, if he hired Nick Saban, all this nonsense about not blowing up the program would be nonexistent. Obviously Nick Saban isn't coming but you can't tell me 1) that he couldn't get another 250k-500k to add to Bohl's salary and 2) that there are 0 good options in that salary range.

Mind boggling process that I think highlights the findings in the Sternberg report.

At this point, I'm saying that if Burman botched this as indicated by fewer than 6 wins next year, he needs to be moved to another administrative position and let someone else take over the ad.

If in 2 or 3 years, if the program is soaring, then give him a nice raise to help with his eventual retirement.
Mmm that sort of aligns with what I would like to see. High pay and a short hook. The high pay because I just don't see serious football programs having success without it.

In the specifics of a retiring and well-respected coach...I'm ok with an internal hire though. I don't see some great evidence of "accepting mediocrity" or whatever in that decision. It might turn out to have been the wrong decision but there is no way of telling that from here. Even the right decision at the time can turn out to have been a mistake.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:21 am

Championships are what you and I want....Burman wants them as well, but he keeps his job the same way that Bohl did....high football attendance. Everything else can go off the rails but as long as the war is full and donations don't ebb...he's safe. Your problem is not with Burman.
We'll agree to disagree and next year will tell the story.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:28 am

well...the wins and losses do correlate with attendance....I've sat in some very empty games in Laramie and It usually doesn't work out for the coach. Do it for long enough and the AD will get the hook.

Your attempt to make the Sawvell hire a referendum on Burman is nakedly obvious. And it's not incorrect. The biggest deal that a modern AD makes is the one with the head football coach...I don't think anybody is confused by this. The confounding variables are too numerous to just lay the failings of a football program at the feet of an individual AD though. Pointing that out is not praise for Burman, no matter what your sarcastic reply is.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:38 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:28 am

well...the wins and losses do correlate with attendance....I've sat in some very empty games in Laramie and It usually doesn't work out for the coach. Do it for long enough and the AD will get the hook.

Your attempt to make the Sawvell hire a referendum on Burman is nakedly obvious. And it's not incorrect. The biggest deal that a modern AD makes is the one with the head football coach...I don't think anybody is confused by this. The confounding variables are too numerous to just lay the failings of a football program at the feet of an individual AD though. Pointing that out is not praise for Burman, no matter what your sarcastic reply is.
Perhaps not, but you have to start somewhere. Hey, if he got this right, then reward the heck out of him. I'm just saying if he didn't, it's time for accountability somewhere other than just the coach.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 153 times

There are quite a few people who are pretty happy with Bohls program. Many recognize that Bohl could get in his own way. This was proven when Vigen was essentially forced out. Many recognized that it wasn’t Vigen nor the play calling. This is a gamble to keep the current system but hopefully sawvel can change it just enough to get us over the hump
W-Y, Until I Die!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

I have stated numerous times, the guy (Burman) doesn't have the tenacity / work ethic / desire / drive, to push the bar and be uncomfortable at Wyoming. He does just enough to keep everyone at bay (mostly his supervisors), and collect the monthly check. As Ragtime has mentioned - check out the Sternberg report, it is quite telling. Burman does less with less than any AD in the country. And sure, he wants championships, but not at the expense of actually trying to attain them. He is Mr. Mediocrity.
Dear Karma,

doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 85 times

Bohl's 10 year tenure is the exception, not the norm when it comes to Wyoming coaches. Given the uncertainty in college athletics- NIL, transfer portal, conference realignment- hiring from within to maintain the program until things sort themselves out makes a lot of sense. Sawvel seems to smart enough to know that change is coming and is needed. Burman is now going to sink or swim depending on how Sawvel does the next couple of years.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:00 am

I have stated numerous times, the guy (Burman) doesn't have the tenacity / work ethic / desire / drive, to push the bar and be uncomfortable at Wyoming. He does just enough to keep everyone at bay (mostly his supervisors), and collect the monthly check. As Ragtime has mentioned - check out the Sternberg report, it is quite telling. Burman does less with less than any AD in the country. And sure, he wants championships, but not at the expense of actually trying to attain them. He is Mr. Mediocrity.
Exactly....again...Burman answers to his supervisors...they (University pres, BOT, Legislature) are the problem....not Burman. He is the product of the system. Fire him and get another one and see what happens.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:02 am
McPeachy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:00 am

Exactly....again...Burman answers to his supervisors...they (University pres, BOT, Legislature) are the problem....not Burman. He is the product of the system. Fire him and get another one and see what happens.
I don't know, and am not privy to their thoughts / meetings / conversations, etc. But, I can see from the outside that the BOT and UW president, are satisfied "just enough" to not rock the boat or make wholesale changes. Hell, it is quite likley that they don't want to deal with change (either). Not everyone is comfortable with change, in fact, one could say the good 'ol boys club hates change...and a large portion of the BOT are just that - good 'ol boys.
Dear Karma,