What does December 4th bring…..

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:45 am We get 2 years of Svboda starting and then Anderson would be slated to take over as Jr and Sr years.
To be honest, realistically we can only look at one year at a time right now, because Bohl is gone at potentially any moment now. It's incredibly likely next year is Bohl's last.

I agree that would be Bohl's plan, though.
ReecesRiver
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Well, better than last year so far.... hope we can bring in a big time CB and WR to replace Hawkins and Asante. Those two worked out great for us. On the plus Bohl has a nice record of getting transfers who come here playing time. I'm excited for Cole DeMarzo a former Mich State player next year. He could fill our MW legacy of solid linebackers.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

ReecesRiver wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:15 pm Well, better than last year so far.... hope we can bring in a big time CB and WR to replace Hawkins and Asante. Those two worked out great for us. On the plus Bohl has a nice record of getting transfers who come here playing time. I'm excited for Cole DeMarzo a former Mich State player next year. He could fill our MW legacy of solid linebackers.
Definitely always should be hunting for WR and CB regardless of who we have. Might even throw RB in there depending on who we have.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:43 am
307bball wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:05 am I know nothing is a done deal yet but let's assume Maiava from UNLV and Green enter the portal and leave thier respective programs. Those two just played for the conference championship...is there a better argument to run a system that can plug and play anybody at QB? Not sure what that system is....even the AFA triple option is reliant on an exceptional guy under center. Maybe that is just the nature of the game and you can't get around that.
I mean, idk. I just know that our system is QB-unfriendly and there's a limit to how successful they can be, no matter who you try to put in it. JA17 was a prime example of that. So maybe the point is that this (the portal carousel) is yet one more reason why we need to change our offensive philosophy...to one that's more common and easily translatable to other players that we could potentially grab.

Either way, I still think Svoboda is fine.

As far as Greene goes, dude's got freakish athleticism and a great run game, but he makes atrocious decisions, his mechanics are terrible, and can't hit the broad side of a barn. This is something that you'll hear from literally any BSU fan, beat writer, etc. He needs actual QB development, which we have seemingly never been able to provide....even Allen really didn't develop/grow all that much until he left and found other resources/coaches; Josh's play here was almost exclusively raw talent and instinct.
Well... Now the report that Jayden Maiava is entering the portal is being removed. I would imagine Vegas has at least some big time NIL possibilities.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:43 am
I mean, idk. I just know that our system is QB-unfriendly and there's a limit to how successful they can be, no matter who you try to put in it. JA17 was a prime example of that. So maybe the point is that this (the portal carousel) is yet one more reason why we need to change our offensive philosophy...to one that's more common and easily translatable to other players that we could potentially grab.
QB friendly or unfriendly is an interesting way to look at it. I can't imagine a system where the QB talent level just doesn't matter. If it is a QB friendly system or not...the more talented QB will do better than the less talented QB. The way I see it...the best football teams with the best strategies will be appreciably worse if the guy under center is not good. Over and over you see teams with starting QB's go down and then the offense goes into a tailspin. That is partly due to maybe not getting the #1 reps like the starter gets but I think most of it is that in general...the backup just isn't as good and that position matters a lot.

So you have a position where the talent level of the guy in it is incredibly important and the pool of guys that have that talent, or can become that talent is small. In the current NIL and transfer climate, any guy who significantly overperforms the talent level at the QB position that is not at a P5 school will be very likely to transfer. Even guys who barely overperform will be transferring. How much does that affect the ability of non-P5 schools to consistently be good? Maybe the cycle of them being good will be just significantly shorter now as the good but overlooked QB is quickly snatched away by a higher level program. People have observed that "well...there will be talented guys backing up the starter at the big time schools ....they will want to play so they will transfer and Wyoming will get them"....I don't see the evidence of that. Where are the big time program backups that go to any smaller program situations and light it up? The only way that happens is that the big time program back-up is truly perceived incorrectly as a bust so nobody else wants them (same as HS recruits) and the evaluators turn out to be wrong. Hitting on that guy is a lower percentage play than getting the overlooked HS player.

It's sort of counter-intuitive but the air-raid that Mike Leach ran sort of worked with lots of QB's at various talent levels. Maybe that is the answer.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Still hope we see no activity in the portal with Bohls announcement.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:46 pm Still hope we see no activity in the portal with Bohls announcement.
Of course not, these players will wanna win one for the gipper, maybe after the bowl we'll see what happens
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

stymeman wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:57 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:46 pm Still hope we see no activity in the portal with Bohls announcement.
Of course not, these players will wanna win one for the gipper, maybe after the bowl we'll see what happens
Players realistically looking to transfer will not be in the bowl game. It’s just not really feasible timing.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Hawaii’s QB enters the portal. Cam Stone criticizes him for leaving the team. Can’t make this stuff up.

DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Lol; I didn't fault Cam for leaving any more than I fault any other player for transferring schools, but that's definitely some funny sh*t.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:18 am Hawaii’s QB enters the portal. Cam Stone criticizes him for leaving the team. Can’t make this stuff up.

Pot vs. Kettle: Example One. Cam Stone. What a wad.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Keelan Cox is entering the portal
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:38 am Keelan Cox is entering the portal
It sounds like he was told he wasn’t really in the defensive plans. Good luck to him.

I’m a bit confused on his eligibility to play next year since this is his second entry. But perhaps the fact that he didn’t enter a game comes into play.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:55 am
It sounds like he was told he wasn’t really in the defensive plans. Good luck to him.

I’m a bit confused on his eligibility to play next year since this is his second entry. But perhaps the fact that he didn’t enter a game comes into play.
I wonder what happened for him to never see the field last year...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:13 am

I wonder what happened for him to never see the field last year...
Well we were really deep at defensive end. But I was suspecting something such as grades.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Firing a coach gives everybody on the team a free transfer on the year the coach is fired, even if they have transferred before. Is it the same on a coach retiring? My guess is yes that any coaching change gives the entire team a free transfer if they want it.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WyomingAgJ wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:24 am

Firing a coach gives everybody on the team a free transfer on the year the coach is fired, even if they have transferred before. Is it the same on a coach retiring? My guess is yes that any coaching change gives the entire team a free transfer if they want it.
Great point! I think you might be right on the coaching change. This now scares me a bit for Waylee of that is the case (I’m sure he could attract big money during the spring signing period)
cowpokeguy
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

I thought I saw somewhere that he was a walk-on at Alabama, so his "transfer" to Wyoming didn't count as a transfer. So now he can transfer somewhere else right away, and it is considered his first.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:40 am
WyomingAgJ wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:24 am
Great point! I think you might be right on the coaching change. This now scares me a bit for Waylee of that is the case (I’m sure he could attract big money during the spring signing period)
If there is a coaching change and they use that as a reason for a "free transfer" I wonder if they retain an additional "free transfer"?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:47 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:40 am
If there is a coaching change and they use that as a reason for a "free transfer" I wonder if they retain an additional "free transfer"?
I think they still retain the additional free transfer. You also get another free transfer if you are a grad transfer.

I'm pretty sure every player gets one free transfer in undergrad, another free transfer if they are a graduate transfer. Then they have the various exceptions that give them even another free transfer such as coach being fired. I don't think transferring due to a coach being fired uses up the "regular undergrad" free transfer.

I just don't know if the coach retiring falls under the same group of exceptions or not for players to transfer without sitting out a year