MW All 25 Season Teams

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

Brian Hill did not make this list?

Outside of Pumphrey, he is the best RB the MWC has ever had. He was definitely better than Ajayi, Brad Roberts, and Staley. I would love to hear the justification for leaving Brian Hill off this list.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

TheRealUW wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:48 pm Brian Hill did not make this list?

Outside of Pumphrey, he is the best RB the MWC has ever had. He was definitely better than Ajayi, Brad Roberts, and Staley. I would love to hear the justification for leaving Brian Hill off this list.
He was the first person I thought of as well who should be on this list. Heck you could even argue Valladay deserved consideration.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

I looked at the MWC website and it says selections were made by the "Mountain West 25th Season Committee". It says that committee is made up of "members" from all 11 full-time institutions, but does not list any names.

I would not have put Josh Allen on that list. Josh has a lot of great physical tools and a very high ceiling, but he was not an elite college quarterback. Honestly, I don't even think he was the best quarterback Wyoming has had since our move to the MWC - I'd give that honor to Casey Bramlet. Bramlet didn't have the necessary tools to be successful in the NFL, while Josh does, but Bramlet was the better college quarterback.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

TheRealUW wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:15 pm I looked at the MWC website and it says selections were made by the "Mountain West 25th Season Committee". It says that committee is made up of "members" from all 11 full-time institutions, but does not list any names.

I would not have put Josh Allen on that list. Josh has a lot of great physical tools and a very high ceiling, but he was not an elite college quarterback. Honestly, I don't even think he was the best quarterback Wyoming has had since our move to the MWC - I'd give that honor to Casey Bramlet. Bramlet didn't have the necessary tools to be successful in the NFL, while Josh does, but Bramlet was the better college quarterback.
Brett Smith was a better college QB than either of them
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:32 pm
There is definitely an argument for that. My opinion may be clouded some - I was in high school when Casey Bramlet was the QB and I have fond memories of that time.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Offensive linemen were overlooked. Chase Roullier deserved consideration.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

There is definitely bias to more recent names in all of these best of lists
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Brett Smith was way better at UW than Josh Allen was, lots of that was because receivers couldn't catch the ball...brett was an all around qb, imo...
Brian Hill totally got snubbed on this list
Chris Prosinski did too( a fellow Buffalo Bison) Buffalo hometown proud!
Jovon Boughknight as well he caught almost everything!!!

Thats my take, for what its worth
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Lots of recency bias. Brett Smith, Chase Roullier, Brian Hill, Adam Goldberg, Patrick Chukwurah, were all names that came to my mind.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Boughknight absolutely was the one I thought of.
Van Pelt from CS spew is the one that gave me a nauseous feeling, but deserving.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

Van Pelt should be in there. B Heezy too
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:11 pm Offensive linemen were overlooked. Chase Roullier deserved consideration.
Totally overlooked as in completely overlooked. None at all! Why??
Hotkarl
Buckaroo
Been liked: 5 times

Bouknight was the biggest snub
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:46 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:11 pm Offensive linemen were overlooked. Chase Roullier deserved consideration.
Totally overlooked as in completely overlooked. None at all! Why??
There were a few offensive linemen named to the team. Just way less than should be IMO.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

Although the MWC doesn't specify, I would bet this list was compiled by the AD's from each MWC school. That explains the recency bias to the list because most of them weren't around to remember Bouknight, Bramlet, etc.

I would also love to see Tom Burman's list. I wonder if he would be willing to release it...
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

GoPokes86 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:25 pm Lots of recency bias. Brett Smith, Chase Roullier, Brian Hill, Adam Goldberg, Patrick Chukwurah, were all names that came to my mind.
The recency bias is definitely insane. Carson Strong? Sorry, he was a nice player but doesn't belong anywhere near an all 25 season team.

Compared to Strong Brett Smith had 23 more total touchdowns and 1300 more total yards. Smith played 3 more games but Strong actually had more career pass attempts. Smith has the 3rd most total TDs in MW history BTW, behind Max Hall and Cordero (who has been playing for 6 years now).
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

TheRealUW wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:15 pm I looked at the MWC website and it says selections were made by the "Mountain West 25th Season Committee". It says that committee is made up of "members" from all 11 full-time institutions, but does not list any names.

Absolute nonsense. Allen was absolutely dominant in 2016. The only conference games we lost were to Vegas in which we scored 66 points but gave up 68 and to New Mexico when the horrible defense gave up 56 points. In 2017, Allen threw 16 td's and only 6 picks. Against csewe, he basically ran on every down in the 4th quarter in the snow. He lost only 1 conference start in 2017. He got hurt and the team lost to an awful San Jose st. team and to Fresno st.. In both games, the offense was incompetent. Allen literally had nothing to work with his junior year. He had no receivers, Brian Hill had left and we had no running game. And the Oline was marginal. I'd argue we'd have been a last place team with out Allen in 2017.

Brett Smith had a great freshman year and then Josh Doctson transferred and he was a lot less effective. We were basically awful in Smith's sophmore and junior seasons. Not all Smith's fault but the offense was mostly terrible. Christensen was fired after after Smith's junior year, for god's sake!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:48 am

Absolute nonsense. Allen was absolutely dominant in 2016. The only conference games we lost were to Vegas in which we scored 66 points but gave up 68 and to New Mexico when the horrible defense gave up 56 points. In 2017, Allen threw 16 td's and only 6 picks. Against csewe, he basically ran on every down in the 4th quarter in the snow. He lost only 1 conference start in 2017. He got hurt and the team lost to an awful San Jose st. team and to Fresno st.. In both games, the offense was incompetent. Allen literally had nothing to work with his junior year. He had no receivers, Brian Hill had left and we had no running game. And the Oline was marginal. I'd argue we'd have been a last place team with out Allen in 2017.

Brett Smith had a great freshman year and then Josh Doctson transferred and he was a lot less effective. We were basically awful in Smith's sophmore and junior seasons. Not all Smith's fault but the offense was mostly terrible. Christensen was fired after after Smith's junior year, for god's sake!
Giving Allen the edge is fine, but come on. Allen over Smith because Allen had a terrible defense? The defense was full of NFL guys while Allen was here. The defenses during Smith's time had no personnel and terrible coaching. Smith a lot less effective as a sophomore and junior? His Sophomore season was statistically one of the best in Wyoming history. His passer rating was #1 in the mountain west and #10 in the country. He had 33 touchdowns that year (behind only Derek Carr who was throwing to Davante Adams) and had 33 the next year too.

Allen was fantastic and carried the team but if he had those stats we would not have lost a single conference game while he was here. Wins aren't quarterback stats anyway. And dinging Smith because Christensen was fired? He deserved to be fired because he couldn't win with a quarterback that good, and he was so incompetent that Smith probably would have been better without him anyway.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

The Dave Christensen defenses were SOOOOOOOO bad. A few stars like the Gipson's, but wooof. Bad. Brett was always in a shoot out, it seemed like.
ImageImageImageImage