Extend Bohl!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

We kind of have to right?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

303cowboy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:30 pm We kind of have to right?
Yes for one year with the gentleman’s handshake that he will retire after next year.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:32 pm
Yes for one year with the gentleman’s handshake that he will retire after next year.
My thoughts exactly, to keep from being lame duck status!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

First season we didn’t have a head scratching loss. Lost only to the top teams. Boise was the only huge disaster. Thought the pick at end of half changed UNLV game. We would have momentum if that was tied 21-21. Pretty good damn season and probably better than anyone picked.
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

As usual, we beat up the bad teams and even beat the mediocre teams. But I don't want to extend Bohl unless it's for decorative purposes only. Ten years and not one conference championship and only 1 appearance in a conference championship game. It's never going to happen with him. Let him have 1 last year and let's start thinking about the next guy.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

I think this is basically Bohls peak as we have seen for 10 years, but I don't see how he doesn't get extended a year or two.

This is only the 4th time since 1996 that we have at 8 wins regular season (1998, 2011, 2016, and now 2023) and then we had two other times (2017, 2019) where we got to 8 wins due to the bowl. If we get the 9th win in the bowl it will be the most wins in a single season since the 1996 season where we had 10 wins.

I don't see how he doesn't get a year or two extension on possibly getting the most wins in a season in 25+ years.

I just hope it is only a year or two and not some 5 or 7 year extension again.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

As disappointed as I was after the road losses, I do agree that an extension makes the most sense. 1-2 years with a gentleman's agreement that Bohl will retire. 7-0 at home, attendance record, etc. all seem sort of secondary when one road win against the top of the conference likely lands the Pokes in the conference title. Beyond irritating.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Word on the street is that next year is Bohl last year barring anything crazy happening and players are aware of this. As far as transfers I heard that most will be from offensive side of ball, I am not sure of how many but probably at least a few.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

It was a good year and Bohl did a good job. Keep him until we decide it's time to overhaul administration.

Overhaul admin and let new admin put their coach in place. Bohl is Burman's ceiling.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:48 am Word on the street is that next year is Bohl last year barring anything crazy happening and players are aware of this. As far as transfers I heard that most will be from offensive side of ball, I am not sure of how many but probably at least a few.
Wonder who would transfer? We don’t really have any players that would be useful to other teams on paper other than Waylee, who I highly, highly doubt will transfer
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 12 times

I don't think Bohl is the coach to take UW over the top to the next frontier of success. But you also have to think, who is? And who would come to Laramie to be that person?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:38 pm I don't think Bohl is the coach to take UW over the top to the next frontier of success. But you also have to think, who is? And who would come to Laramie to be that person?
Jerry Kill would be good. New Mexico State is actually playing for a conference title. Something neither UNM nor us could say. Helps to win road games.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:20 pm
WyoVaquero wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:48 am Word on the street is that next year is Bohl last year barring anything crazy happening and players are aware of this. As far as transfers I heard that most will be from offensive side of ball, I am not sure of how many but probably at least a few.
Wonder who would transfer? We don’t really have any players that would be useful to other teams on paper other than Waylee, who I highly, highly doubt will transfer
Unless Waylee graduates, he would have to sit out a year to transfer. I don’t see it happening.

Gyllenborg is an NFL talent. I could see a team prying him away with money (ala Pregnon).

The rest of the offense (other than Svoboda), I don’t see them being in demand other than maybe MWC teams and below.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:02 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:20 pm

Unless Waylee graduates, he would have to sit out a year to transfer. I don’t see it happening.

Gyllenborg is an NFL talent. I could see a team prying him away with money (ala Pregnon).

The rest of the offense (other than Svoboda), I don’t see them being in demand other than maybe MWC teams and below.
I hope players look at the success (or lack thereof) of those of have transferred. Some don’t play at all, some very little. Not all, but the portal hasn’t been good for many who transferred out. It’s been better for many who have came to Laramie.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

We're 106th in 2024 recruiting rankings according to 247, and anyone with two brain cells knows Bohl is retiring soon (as I've mentioned before, recruits aren't stupid or out of the loop).

Giving Bohl the "recruiting extension" (yes, everyone knows what that is) isn't going to maintain or change anything with recruits/recruiting.

If anything, it's better to just rip the bandaid off and be done with it.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

Ummmm. No. He beat two lousy teams to end the season. Still no conference championships. He still needs to go.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:13 pm
Ummmm. No. He beat two lousy teams to end the season. Still no conference championships. He still needs to go.
Fire Bohl in Wyoming’s highest regular season win total since 1996. Yes that’s sure to attract top head coaching candidates.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:17 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:13 pm

Fire Bohl in Wyoming’s highest regular season win total since 1996. Yes that’s sure to attract top head coaching candidates.
Everyone was ready to run him out on a rail after the Boise/UNLV games. Now he beats horrible Hawaii and even worse Nevada and now everyone wants him to stay. You all can go whichever way the wind blows. I've stayed consistent. This team will never win a conference championship with him as coach. Ever.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:19 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:17 pm

Everyone was ready to run him out on a rail after the Boise/UNLV games. Now he beats horrible Hawaii and even worse Nevada and now everyone wants him to stay. You all can go whichever way the wind blows. I've stayed consistent. This team will never win a conference championship with him as coach. Ever.
Find one post where I said to fire Bohl. I’d love to see it.

You’re the guy that has advocated for years that Wyoming drop to FCS.

While we won’t win a conference championship with Bohl, he has built a real program here at Wyoming. We need to give him the gentleman’s extension and allow the program to transition into new hands (with some of the same staff) after his farewell tour next year.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:22 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:19 pm

Find one post where I said to fire Bohl. I’d love to see it.

You’re the guy that has advocated for years that Wyoming drop to FCS.

While we won’t win a conference championship with Bohl, he has built a real program here at Wyoming. We need to give him the gentleman’s extension and allow the program to transition into new hands (with some of the same staff) after his farewell tour next year.
Why? Because he got us into the milk bone bowl? Boise fired its coach and is playing for the conference title. Raise your expectations.