Extend Bohl!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:58 am

Vigen is an option provided he continues to stay far away from QB coaching and playcalling. He may not have been a great QBC or OC, but he's shown he's a great HC and delegator in a similar situation (taking over a previously stable but not dominant team and improving it). Only thing I wonder about is if he'd even be willing to come back, considering we pretty much ran him out of town the first time.

This opinion got me burned at the stake here last time, but I would not be opposed to bringing Arroyo back. Dude's a great recruiter (remember, he recruited and helped develop Brett Smith...and Odom's current team still has a ton of players Arroyo recruited). Dude had some ups and downs (but mostly ups, I mean FFS he's a PAC-12 champ) on P5 teams where he was hamstrung a bit by bad coaches and co-OCs. He took over an impossible situation at UNLV and was right on the verge of getting it turned around before they suddenly sh*tcanned him, to the surprise of even a lot of UNLV fans. I really, truly don't think he'd be a terrible hire. Maybe give him a short leash since our program is already stable, but yea.
I saw the Spudnuts AD has been spending time in Montana. Could he be considering Vigen?
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:21 pm
I saw the Spudnuts AD has been spending time in Montana. Could he be considering Vigen?
He's not the top choice by any means, but yes, he is being routinely mentioned in BSU circles and by BSU sources as a possibility. I think he's probably 5th or 6th on their list.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:58 pm
WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:38 pm I don't think Bohl is the coach to take UW over the top to the next frontier of success. But you also have to think, who is? And who would come to Laramie to be that person?
Any new coach that could get us 9 or 10 reg season wins would be gone in a breathe. But one has to ask, “are we good with that”? The more likely scenario is the coach gets fired for suckyness and we get to stand shoulder to shoulder with CSU
Yes, I think we will be stuck in this rut unless we either:

1. Get a coach who really wants to be here and stay here if they have a lot of success - 9 or 10+ win seasons, conference titles, bringing WYO to prominence.

2. UW moves to a P5 distinction. With WA State and OR State agreeing to play six MWC schools per season, that might be feasible down the road.

Otherwise, it is going to be as you say. A coach does well here, then jumps for a greater opportunity or does poorly and gets fired.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

Wyokie wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:56 pm
WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:38 pm I don't think Bohl is the coach to take UW over the top to the next frontier of success. But you also have to think, who is? And who would come to Laramie to be that person?
Jerry Kill would be good. New Mexico State is actually playing for a conference title. Something neither UNM nor us could say. Helps to win road games.
Good call. NMSU is having an outstanding year. Maybe their best in a very, very long time. Their only losses are to Liberty (x2) and UMass (how did that happen? Guess it was week 0 uncertainty coming into the year...).