What MWC bowls are not "crap bowl"?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:34 pm
LawPoke wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:45 pm Welp we just got picked to go to the crappiest of the crappy bowls.
No we didn’t. This is your personal bias against barstool.
Mine and a BUNCH of others’ bias. It’s a garbage bowl.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

LawPoke wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:50 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:34 pm

No we didn’t. This is your personal bias against barstool.
Guess what - you aren’t forced to go nor watch.

Personally - I believe we got one of the best matchups
of any MWC team. This is a good matchup against a good Toledo team on a Saturday in Tucson.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:54 pm

of any MWC team. This is a good matchup against a good Toledo team on a Saturday in Tucson.
Absolutely true. I will not be doing either.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:54 pm

MWC Bowl game opponents:

BSU - UCLA
SJSU - Coastal Carolina
UNLV - Kansas
AFA - James Madison
WYO - Toledo
FRES - NM State
USU - Georgia State

If the goal is to play against a P5 conference....unless you play in the MW championship game...it's not going to happen. As far as quality of opponent...there are a few ways to rank it but Toledo is ranked 51 in SRS ranking...that is kind of right in the middle the MW opponents.

James Madison - 21
Kansas - 27
UCLA - 44
Toledo - 51
NM State - 63
Coastal Carolina - 72
Georgia State - 97

ESPN CFP index

Kansas - 29
UCLA - 35
James Madison- 37
Toledo - 62
Coastal Carolina - 79
NM State - 91
Georgia State - 100

Interestingly...the conference champion isn't even playing the best team in that group according to either ranking. Whatever games played against P5 teams will get the most eyeballs...the rest will be all about the same.

Is it great?...It beats not having a bowl game and it's a better opponent than about half of the MW. If you are butt-hurt about it...you are pretty much just complaining about bowl access for non P5 teams. If that is your position...well...I guess I agree that the access for Wyoming into high profile post-season play is bad...just like it has always been.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

Even if we had better tie ins, we’d be stuck in a crummy bowl.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Maybe within your own little bubble and the stuffy, stodgy Wyoming fanbase.

Outside of a bunch of crying Wyoming fans, reaction to the Barstool coverage was very positive and the broadcast was extremely well-received in other CFB communities. Especially amongst younger fans.

Regardless, as others (including myself) have pointed out...if we want better bowls and better opponents, then we need to win more games and win the ones that count. Can't have our cake and eat it, too.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:54 pm

Outside of a bunch of crying Wyoming fans, reaction to the Barstool coverage was very positive and the broadcast was extremely well-received in other CFB communities. Especially amongst younger fans.

Regardless, as others (including myself) have pointed out...if we want better bowls and better opponents, then we need to win more games and win the ones that count. Can't have our cake and eat it, too.
Yup...the options are no bowl or low quality bowl for G5 teams. There was a brief moment where the top G5 teams were also top15-ish but that era is gone and not coming back.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

The three people outside of WY and Ohio that actually made the effort to find the game enjoyed the cheap frat boy vibe, I’m sure. Big hit with the fart joke loving crowd. I guess wanting real commentary makes me stodgy.

And they weren’t laughing with us, they were jeering and making a mockery of us.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 12 times

307bball wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:08 pm

Yup...the options are no bowl or low quality bowl for G5 teams. There was a brief moment where the top G5 teams were also top15-ish but that era is gone and not coming back.
Right. Unfortunately, the MWC does not have "tiered" bowls. I think they just pick whoever for which game they feel will draw the best ratings, sell the most tickets, and have the fans travel to the game.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

LawPoke wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:28 pm
The three people outside of WY and Ohio that actually made the effort to find the game enjoyed the cheap frat boy vibe, I’m sure. Big hit with the fart joke loving crowd. I guess wanting real commentary makes me stodgy.

And they weren’t laughing with us, they were jeering and making a mockery of us.
Again, try stepping outside your bubble.

That bowl had half a million unique views and 130,000 peak concurrent viewers, and was widely considered a commercial success for Barstool and the bowl itself. Those are literal facts; the "nobody watches this sh*t" narrative is tired and overblown by Wyoming fans who refuse to see past their own inherent biases.

It did extremely well for a B/C tier bowl, especially one in its first iteration of a new format. Full stop.

This year may take a hit because it's in the exact same slot as an S tier bowl; I'm sure folks like you will just interpret that as a confirmation of said biases but whatever. It's impossible to argue with stubborn.

And I was in the game thread for it in one of the largest CFB communities on the internet, and there were plenty of neutrals, from all tastes and backgrounds....and it was almost universally well-received.

You can keep spewing bullsh*t, but that doesn't make it true. And your hyperbole about the slapstick humor of the presentation is similarly overblown, grandpa.

Regardless, again...if we want "better" bowls or opponents, we have to be better. Anything else is pure entitlement.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

LawPoke wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:49 pm Even if we had better tie ins, we’d be stuck in a crummy bowl.
I'm beginning to think that, like SDPoke, perhaps Wyoming just isn't the team for you...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:42 am
LawPoke wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:28 pm

Again, try stepping outside your bubble.

That bowl had half a million unique views and 130,000 peak concurrent viewers, and was widely considered a commercial success for Barstool and the bowl itself. Those are literal facts; the "nobody watches this sh*t" narrative is tired and overblown by Wyoming fans who refuse to see past their own inherent biases.

It did extremely well for a B/C tier bowl, especially one in its first iteration of a new format. Full stop.

This year may take a hit because it's in the exact same slot as an S tier bowl; I'm sure folks like you will just interpret that as a confirmation of said biases but whatever. It's impossible to argue with stubborn.

And I was in the game thread for it in one of the largest CFB communities on the internet, and there were plenty of neutrals, from all tastes and backgrounds....and it was almost universally well-received.

You can keep spewing bullsh*t, but that doesn't make it true. And your hyperbole about the slapstick humor of the presentation is similarly overblown, grandpa.

Regardless, again...if we want "better" bowls or opponents, we have to be better. Anything else is pure entitlement.
The 2022 Tater Bowl between Easten Michigan and Joser State had over 2 million viewers. 130,000 < 2 million

The 2022 Arizona Bowl was the least watched in the history of that bowl.

The debate over whether Barstool is cool or universally well received is subjective...the numbers aren''t.

And I agree with you on one thing - in order to get better bowls, we have to be better. This year we were mid - and landed in a mid bowl because of it.
Last edited by LawPoke on Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:32 am
LawPoke wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:49 pm Even if we had better tie ins, we’d be stuck in a crummy bowl.
I'm beginning to think that, like SDPoke, perhaps Wyoming just isn't the team for you...
Thanks for weighing in. I truly appreciate your input.

OUR Pokes flubbed when they had a chance to compete for a championship and better bowl. Can't I be frustrated by that reality? Shouldn't I be? Why aren't you?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

We are headed to a warm weather bowl game, against a solid opponent. Which beats the fvck out of what CSewe and bWHYu are doing this winter.

I had a great time in Tucson last year, it was a lot of fun, although the result wasn't great.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:49 am We are headed to a warm weather bowl game, against a solid opponent. Which beats the fvck out of what CSewe and bWHYu are doing this winter.

I had a great time in Tucson last year, it was a lot of fun, although the result wasn't great.
CSU just had their best season since 2017 :lol:

…and they still will be watching bowl season from their couch.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

Yahoo sports rated it the 11th best Bowl Game: https://sports.yahoo.com/college-bowl-r ... 19169.html
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

sandiegopoke wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:56 pm Yahoo sports rated it the 11th best Bowl Game: https://sports.yahoo.com/college-bowl-r ... 19169.html
From a matchup standpoint, it probably should be. It will hopefully be a decent game - for those that see it (or in my case, listen to it...it's what we stodgy grandpas do).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

LawPoke wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:11 pm
sandiegopoke wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:56 pm Yahoo sports rated it the 11th best Bowl Game: https://sports.yahoo.com/college-bowl-r ... 19169.html
From a matchup standpoint, it probably should be. It will hopefully be a decent game - for those that see it (or in my case, listen to it...it's what we stodgy grandpas do).
I agree that the announcing was trash and bush league, but all things considered.. location, opponent, date relative to our finish in the MWC I'll take it happily.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

It is also on Saturday Dec. 30th which means it will air at the same time as the Orange Bowl (Florida State v. Georgia).
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

From the Washington Post-

20. Arizona Bowl: Toledo vs. Wyoming (Dec. 30, 4:30 p.m.)

A sneaky-good game, though Toledo (11-2) is stinging from a MAC title game loss to Miami (Ohio) that halted an 11-game winning streak. Wyoming went 7-0 at home with victories over Appalachian State, Fresno State and Texas Tech, but just 1-4 away from Laramie. (Granted, all four losses came to teams with at least eight victories).