Our last recruit on board

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

Austin Daniels-5'-10" DB 4.45 from Mt San Antonio College. Very good class the staff put together.
The Road
Ranch Hand

http://cowboyaltitude.blogspot.com/2010 ... -2010.html

Interesting that they went with a JUCO DB. I was hoping for another high school WR.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Our class should be good... you can have over 25 commitments though espn says Florida has 28
mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

You have 25 schollies but you can have as many walk on as you can get
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

This guy could very well knock one of the Gipson brothers out of the starting line-up. I wish he was enrolled this spring though, as the move from JUCO to D1 football is not only a step up in physical talent, but also a step up in the mental part of the game. This guy has the physical skills to be a starter next year. The question is whether or not he can pick up the mental part of the game fast enough.

Look for a swing towards even more freshman and sophomores to be seeing significant playing time this year. Many of the upperclassmen are going to be seeing a lot more time on the pine in my opinion.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

TheRealUW wrote:This guy could very well knock one of the Gipson brothers out of the starting line-up. I wish he was enrolled this spring though, as the move from JUCO to D1 football is not only a step up in physical talent, but also a step up in the mental part of the game. This guy has the physical skills to be a starter next year. The question is whether or not he can pick up the mental part of the game fast enough.

Look for a swing towards even more freshman and sophomores to be seeing significant playing time this year. Many of the upperclassmen are going to be seeing a lot more time on the pine in my opinion.
Though I think Prosinski and a couple others are safe.
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

TheRealUW wrote:This guy could very well knock one of the Gipson brothers out of the starting line-up. I wish he was enrolled this spring though, as the move from JUCO to D1 football is not only a step up in physical talent, but also a step up in the mental part of the game. This guy has the physical skills to be a starter next year. The question is whether or not he can pick up the mental part of the game fast enough.

Maybe...I do think there will be some talented younger guys that crack the starting lineup...but I think its is also very possible that the upperclassmen will continue to improve and get better as well. If the coaches are doing their job like I expect them to, I would expect the juniors and seniors to improve within the new system and be the backbone of the team this year. Obviously we are going to need improvement from the returning players as well as production from some new guys if we are going to have a shot of going bowling or building on last years success.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

I think the Gipsons are in for a big year for one reason mainly... since their first games as Cowboys they have gotten better each week and are very solid tacklers... this season they were better than last ( natural for a hard worker) DC has the right people teaching them and they seem to care a lot and work hard look for a lot of improvement out of them
The Road
Ranch Hand

Wow... that is the longest response I've ever seen gopokes1399 write. Very impressive.

Usually he just does one sentence responses. ;)
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

The Road wrote:Wow... that is the longest response I've ever seen gopokes1399 write. Very impressive.

Usually he just does one sentence responses. ;)
He's a man of few words.. though, I did see him spell out the entire alphabet on Facebook tonight. :)
ImageImageImageImage
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

gopokes1399 wrote:I think the Gipsons are in for a big year for one reason mainly... since their first games as Cowboys they have gotten better each week and are very solid tacklers... this season they were better than last ( natural for a hard worker) DC has the right people teaching them and they seem to care a lot and work hard look for a lot of improvement out of them
Being completely honest...

Teshaun is a solid corner, and has the football "it". I expect him to start. His brother, on the other hand, appeared to become very kitty-ish toward the end of the season. His games, specifically against TCU, SDSU, and CSU were absolutely horrific.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

I'm not sure who the culprit on our team is, but hopefully this kid doesn't give the WR a 10 yard buffer off the line. I went to the BYU game this year (the first in years) and I've never seen a secondary get carved as they did that day. They did look good against Utah though. Any improvement is a good thing.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

McPeachy wrote:
gopokes1399 wrote:I think the Gipsons are in for a big year for one reason mainly... since their first games as Cowboys they have gotten better each week and are very solid tacklers... this season they were better than last ( natural for a hard worker) DC has the right people teaching them and they seem to care a lot and work hard look for a lot of improvement out of them
Being completely honest...

Teshaun is a solid corner, and has the football "it". I expect him to start. His brother, on the other hand, appeared to become very kitty-ish toward the end of the season. His games, specifically against TCU, SDSU, and CSU were absolutely horrific.
I said this all season. Marcell is not a good corner. Put him in for dime packages or move him to safety, because he can't cover anyone in this conference.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

I'll be frank, even though my name's Erik. We don't have ANY players who are great, or even "good" against the pass in our secondary. Prosinski is great against the run, but he's quite useless against the pass, no matter how enamored some people are with him. Both the Gipsons are used in a "bend but don't break" type scheme because they're not good enough to cover receivers closely.

I'm not completely convinced that Gary is good against the pass either, but for a freshman, he sure didn't look that bad compared to our more experienced players in the secondary, especially considering he wasn't a highly touted recruit according to Rivals (was he a Glenn or a DC recruit? I think he verballed in January last year, but I'm not certain).

So anyways, I hope this guy can show that he deserves to start. He seems to be fast enough, at least. Hopefully that includes in-game speed as well.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Is it the coaching scheme or the players? I know our secondary was playing 10 yds off the receivers under Glenn (at least the last couple of years) like they are now. That would lead me to believe it is either English's plan or else we don't have the personnel to cover receivers tight (or else some of them have kitty as McP said).
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Playing off the receiver is definitely a coaching decision. When has a player been able to do whatever he wanted? I think they like to keep the offense in front of them. However, there are time when they play a close man to man coverage.

In regards to Marcel. I think he is a good db. Best hitter in the secondary too. The problem has been getting pressure on the opposing QB. If we create pressure, we allow the WR less time to get open.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

WYCowboy wrote:Is it the coaching scheme or the players? I know our secondary was playing 10 yds off the receivers under Glenn (at least the last couple of years) like they are now. That would lead me to believe it is either English's plan or else we don't have the personnel to cover receivers tight (or else some of them have kitty as McP said).
I think it's both. The coaching scheme reflects the talent (or lack thereof) in the secondary. If the coaching staff felt that our defensive backs could match the receivers stride by stride, I'm sure they'd make them play a closer coverage.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

it's easy to beat a blitz when the db is ten yards from the receiver. receiver runs five yards and turns around. five yard completion. most of the time it was more like seven yards. i'm guessing, similar to the offense, they scheme based on personnel. The offense didn't implement most of the scheme because they didn't have the people, most likely WR's. The defense doesn't have anything that resembles a shutdown DB, so they play ten yards deep, which didn't stop BYU from throwing bombs over their heads.
W-Y, Until I Die!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:it's easy to beat a blitz when the db is ten yards from the receiver. receiver runs five yards and turns around. five yard completion. most of the time it was more like seven yards. i'm guessing, similar to the offense, they scheme based on personnel. The offense didn't implement most of the scheme because they didn't have the people, most likely WR's. The defense doesn't have anything that resembles a shutdown DB, so they play ten yards deep, which didn't stop BYU from throwing bombs over their heads.
That BYU game was a trap game. We came off an emotional, hard fought loss to Utah, and BYU had a bye to prepare for us after getting it handed to them by TCU. They wanted to make a statement and we didn't have the gas to put up much of a fight. Hopefully will more depth, talent, and coaching we won't run into situations like this going forward.

Other than that game, I thought I db's played well. Tashaun is as good as any corner in the conference.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

JimmyDimes wrote:In regards to Marcel. I think he is a good db. Best hitter in the secondary too.
Jimmy...surely you meant Teshaun as the best hitter in the secondary (if you were referring to a Gipson brother). Marcel ducks out of the way, falls down, runs and hides, slips, etc.

And...on the topic of best hitter...that honor goes to Prosinski honestly (although like somebody mentioned, his WR coverage is not great...but he is solid against the run).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...