Bohl and the future..

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

We know what we get with Bohl, anywhere from 5-8 wins a year. This year we will probably be find a way to get 7 wins again. As long as we get 7 wins a year Burman will not fire him. I am thinking that Bohl finishes his contract and he retires. His teams play good defense, run the ball well, but except for one year his passing offense has just been a plain embarrassing. His failure to fix the passing game is mind blowing to me. The frustrating thing is that I think that offensive sill position players are the easiest to recruit because there are a lot of them,(as bad as we were with Koennig and Glenn, we had Floyd and Bouknight). I guess watching our offense why would a receiver come to Wyo. I think we are stuck with Bohl as long as he wants to be here, but I am ready to move on, 10 years is long enough. I know there is a chance for us to find a worse coach, but we could also find a coach that wins us a conference championship even if he moves on shortly thereafter.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 240 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:06 am We know what we get with Bohl, anywhere from 5-8 wins a year. This year we will probably be find a way to get 7 wins again. As long as we get 7 wins a year Burman will not fire him. I am thinking that Bohl finishes his contract and he retires. His teams play good defense, run the ball well, but except for one year his passing offense has just been a plain embarrassing. His failure to fix the passing game is mind blowing to me. The frustrating thing is that I think that offensive sill position players are the easiest to recruit because there are a lot of them,(as bad as we were with Koennig and Glenn, we had Floyd and Bouknight). I guess watching our offense why would a receiver come to Wyo. I think we are stuck with Bohl as long as he wants to be here, but I am ready to move on, 10 years is long enough. I know there is a chance for us to find a worse coach, but we could also find a coach that wins us a conference championship even if he moves on shortly thereafter.
This year's defense sucks. We got gashed by TT, Texas, App State, New Mexico, AF, and couldn't really stop Portland State or Fresno, and now Boise. Hope Bohl can at least figure that side of the ball out. Have they had a good game yet?
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:49 am
WyoVaquero wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:06 am We know what we get with Bohl, anywhere from 5-8 wins a year. This year we will probably be find a way to get 7 wins again. As long as we get 7 wins a year Burman will not fire him. I am thinking that Bohl finishes his contract and he retires. His teams play good defense, run the ball well, but except for one year his passing offense has just been a plain embarrassing. His failure to fix the passing game is mind blowing to me. The frustrating thing is that I think that offensive sill position players are the easiest to recruit because there are a lot of them,(as bad as we were with Koennig and Glenn, we had Floyd and Bouknight). I guess watching our offense why would a receiver come to Wyo. I think we are stuck with Bohl as long as he wants to be here, but I am ready to move on, 10 years is long enough. I know there is a chance for us to find a worse coach, but we could also find a coach that wins us a conference championship even if he moves on shortly thereafter.
This year's defense sucks. We got gashed by TT, Texas, App State, New Mexico, AF, and couldn't really stop Portland State or Fresno, and now Boise. Hope Bohl can at least figure that side of the ball out. Have they had a good game yet?
And as much as I hate to say it, CSEWE is pretty salty on offense. They have cut down on allowed sacks and have another great TE (where ours have disappeared, again).
Kolbey Taylor (I think) is not good and our DL can't seem to get any pressure. They'd better figure it out or the Sheep will have a field day. The only good news is that the Team Down South doesn't seem to have a running game.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Lol, we don't even run the ball or play defense that well at this point; that's out the window.

We were always willing to excuse his downsides because of his upsides, his culture, and his occasional results....but he's quickly running out of any redeemable qualities.

But yea, there's no way Burman's firing him unless there's major changes in the numbers and the things Tom, in all fairness to him, is paid to care about...attendance, tv ratings, merch, season tickets, booster support, bowl appearances, etc.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand

We will see if he can win another border war.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Next year(24) is his final year and I'm hearing he's currently building a retirement home in Minnesota so unless a contract extension (which isn't deserved) im thinking 11 years is enough
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

stymeman wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:37 pm Next year(24) is his final year and I'm hearing he's currently building a retirement home in Minnesota so unless a contract extension (which isn't deserved) im thinking 11 years is enough
I'm fine with this. Hopefully the new coach is a smooth transition and we don't have a lot of attrition. I'm fine with running the ball and playing D, I just want someone who will fundamentally try to change the pass game or bring in someone with a little vision. Our run game should allow us to destroy teams through the air.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand

Do you think Vigen is Burman's first call?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:43 pm Do you think Vigen is Burman's first call?
17 years for Burman and no major accomplishments in football. Very few in men's bball. I'm not sayin just sayin.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:18 pm
WyoVaquero wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:43 pm Do you think Vigen is Burman's first call?
17 years for Burman and no major accomplishments in football. Very few in men's bball. I'm not sayin just sayin.
Wouldn't shock me. Then again, nothing does. :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

When we talk about finding innovative OCs or head coaches, something like what Wake Forest has is what we need. Not the exact offense but go digging for someone doing something different. Don't find someone just doing what others are doing. It may not work, but our only chance is to find something others haven't figured out how to defend.

https://thetouchdown.co.uk/the-slow-mes ... e-offense/
W-Y, Until I Die!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:29 pm When we talk about finding innovative OCs or head coaches, something like what Wake Forest has is what we need. Not the exact offense but go digging for someone doing something different. Don't find someone just doing what others are doing. It may not work, but our only chance is to find something others haven't figured out how to defend.

https://thetouchdown.co.uk/the-slow-mes ... e-offense/
This would be in a post-Bohl world. He would never agree to anything different than he is doing today. It’s the only way to win here and he is convinced of it.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

stymeman wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:37 pm Next year(24) is his final year and I'm hearing he's currently building a retirement home in Minnesota so unless a contract extension (which isn't deserved) im thinking 11 years is enough
Minnesota you say??
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

I'd be okay with Vigen.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times

I think the biggest problem Bohl has is the "development program" mentality. He's doing a pretty good job overall at it, but for some reason can't build a balanced offense by "developing players." The guy can find diamonds in the rough, and has a decent plan to get the right players here.

He is missing something in the process though. But I'll admit, building that process up to begin with is not easy.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Vigen has done a good job with Montana State but I think that might be his ceiling. Even with 5 future pros on the roster- Allen, Hill , Roullier, Hollister and Gentry- Wyoming was not great on offense while he was offensive coordinator/asst. head coach.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times

doreno5 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:31 am
Vigen has done a good job with Montana State but I think that might be his ceiling. Even with 5 future pros on the roster- Allen, Hill , Roullier, Hollister and Gentry- Wyoming was not great on offense while he was offensive coordinator/asst. head coach.
Something is off there IMHO. When he played us after taking that job, his offense looked nothing like his old Wyoming offenses did. He may be more capable of change than the system he was under here. Hell the first offensive play for msu was like a 90 yard incomplete pass. I thought - uhh glad they didn't complete that.

There are a bunch of questions there too. Can he recruit? He did find allen and wenst. Can he develop players - I think Wyoming will probably have to do that to some extent going forward.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

Outlaw Arthur Morgan wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:41 am
doreno5 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:31 am

Something is off there IMHO. When he played us after taking that job, his offense looked nothing like his old Wyoming offenses did. He may be more capable of change than the system he was under here. Hell the first offensive play for msu was like a 90 yard incomplete pass. I thought - uhh glad they didn't complete that.

There are a bunch of questions there too. Can he recruit? He did find allen and wenst. Can he develop players - I think Wyoming will probably have to do that to some extent going forward.

Ugh, I’ve been saying this for years, because it’s not Vigen, it’s not Polasak, they are required to run the offense Bohl wants. Bohl just said in last weeks press conference, a power run offense can run in any weather, on grass on dirt or on a road (something like that).

Can’t totally blame the OCs, they are running the scheme dictated by Bohl. The more passing we’re seeing (or did early games this season) is because Bohl finally said he wanted to add that.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Beatin the Sheeep always great, one game below 500 as well
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Outlaw Arthur Morgan wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:41 am

Something is off there IMHO. When he played us after taking that job, his offense looked nothing like his old Wyoming offenses did. He may be more capable of change than the system he was under here.
I've mentioned this on here before. Vigen doesn't run the offense at MSU. He went out and hired a capable dude (Housewright) and let him do his job his own way....which included adjusting to the personnel/players they have and being flexible, while still trying to implement the offense he learned at Oregon and Mississippi State.

(Funny story, Housewright was actually on our staff in 2018 as a GA, working with our RBs and TEs...probably our strongest position group and staff at the time.)

Anyway, that's the biggest difference. I think Vigen has shown that he can take a stable/decent program (Montana State was already in a good spot) and work with it, hire a capable staff that are familiar with modern football, and let them do their job without micromanaging.

I DON'T want Vigen anywhere near playcalling or QB coaching, but I'd be more than fine with him coming back as HC.

Would he come back here, though, after all the vitriol the fanbase threw his way for years? We damned near ran him out of town; he happened to get a great opportunity but he knew his time here was done anyway. Also, I have no idea if his kids (who also play football) have graduated HS yet or if he'd be willing to move them again.

The one thing I will say is that Housewright caught a charge for drunk driving and crashing his car, resisting/refusing to cooperate, fleeing the scene, etc. A defensive coach (Garza) was also cited for DUI just months earlier in the middle of the season. Sound familiar? It should....Garza was also arrested for DUI while he was at Wyoming in 2019 and resigned. So it's not like Vigen had no idea who he was hiring.

That's really the only fault I can find with Vigen's staff assembly.