DQ Dismissed

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:30 am
307bball wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:07 am

What does that say when a guy like Omotosho who looks talented can't see playing time after a transfer? It's not like he went to Alabama...do we just have overall very low talent?
First off, he went to a top 15-20 team, so it’s not like he’s playing with a bunch of bums. What is says to me is the P5 talent level is higher, yes, but it speaks to continuity and relationships. Omothosho was recruited by us, developed by us and had a bond with our coaches and players. We were invested in Omothosho. Oregon state doesn’t care about him as much. They just saw him as a backup edge that was on the market. They picked him up like I pick up a gallon of milk at the store. Omothosho was prized to us because of how everything transpired with his career after high school and Oregon state and their coaches don’t care about him as much because they didn’t recruit him and develop him. When two players are equal who are you going to give the playing time to? The player you have known for three or four years and developed, trained and feel comfortable with or the player you picked off the trash heap that means little to you personally?
Hmm...this is a good perspective. It's hard to say what the effect of NIL and player freedom has meant to players. Maybe the most accurate thing to say would be that, in general, the highest chance a college football player has to see playing time will be with the coaching staff that recruited him. But even that has some pretty big exceptions built into it.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

307bball wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:09 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:30 am First off, he went to a top 15-20 team, so it’s not like he’s playing with a bunch of bums. What is says to me is the P5 talent level is higher, yes, but it speaks to continuity and relationships. Omothosho was recruited by us, developed by us and had a bond with our coaches and players. We were invested in Omothosho. Oregon state doesn’t care about him as much. They just saw him as a backup edge that was on the market. They picked him up like I pick up a gallon of milk at the store. Omothosho was prized to us because of how everything transpired with his career after high school and Oregon state and their coaches don’t care about him as much because they didn’t recruit him and develop him. When two players are equal who are you going to give the playing time to? The player you have known for three or four years and developed, trained and feel comfortable with or the player you picked off the trash heap that means little to you personally?
Hmm...this is a good perspective. It's hard to say what the effect of NIL and player freedom has meant to players. Maybe the most accurate thing to say would be that, in general, the highest chance a college football player has to see playing time will be with the coaching staff that recruited him. But even that has some pretty big exceptions built into it.
I think generally that is true, unless you are just blowing away your current competition, which Omothosho kinda was. So that's weird.

I'd like to see how transfers UP at other school are faring at their new schools. Bet it's a mixed bag like ours.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:12 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:08 am

Yes. It is clear that with a Bohl team, the whole is greater than the the sum of the parts.
True, but we did supply USC with two starters. And gave Arizona State a starting RB. We’re not devoid of talent and have a good amount in the NFL compared to our conference peers
Agreed
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:36 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:30 pm DQs aunt is on FB crying Bohl is racist and the reason for DQs departure. I liked DQ, was a fan. I highly doubt Bohl is racist. That’s not something I’ve heard before. Nonetheless I wish DQ the best.
I hope our fanbase has learned enough by this point to ignore former players family members social media rants.
Okay - maybe i'm old these days. I don't login to facebook twitter x instagram or any of that. I'm an old forum guy. What the hell do people post from our team?

I'm also the guy that hates driving in colorado, and has been to therapy to just say "its okay to just drive okay, you don't have to engauge in the brutal fight that is I25"
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:54 am BTW - DQ’s replacement might be walk on Mitch Anderson. DQ clone in terms of size and skill set.
Didn’t realize, he was recruited by Boise (not) a St.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:45 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:14 am

I'm starting to think the portal will normalize somewhat. Big programs will likely scrutinize the transfers a little more if the success rate isn't good.
If anything it might be the opposite. A low success rate will be used by programs by Wyoming to convince players to stay. I'm sure Oregon State is happy to have a player like Omotosho on their depth chart even if he never sees the field. It's a win for the program but a loss for the player.
Something no one mentioned, Omotosho transferred to a school whose defensive sets don’t really match his skills. He is a very quick edge. But Oregon State moved him to linebacker where his speed is probably average for the position.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:27 am

If anything it might be the opposite. A low success rate will be used by programs by Wyoming to convince players to stay. I'm sure Oregon State is happy to have a player like Omotosho on their depth chart even if he never sees the field. It's a win for the program but a loss for the player.
Something no one mentioned, Omotosho transferred to a school whose defensive sets don’t really match his skills. He is a very quick edge. But Oregon State moved him to linebacker where his speed is probably average for the position.
Deon's take is that big programs will no longer sign high school kids. He wants more scholarships designated for high school only.

I hope that doesn't happen.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand

TheRealUW wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:51 am DQ has elite quickness and good speed. Despite having these qualities, he did not prove particularly elusive. He also did not have great field vision - this was most evident on zone blocking runs when he often cut up the wrong gap or was late to recognize where the gap was going to open. As another poster already mentioned, I think he has the potential to be a pretty good slot receiver in the right offense as long as he has the hands for it.

Another thing working against him is that he has an elite running back in front of him in Waylee. I get the feeling a large portion of the fanbase does not comprehend how good Waylee is. I know it is a limited sample size, but I believe he is the most talented running back I have seen at UW in the last three decades. In my opinion, he looks better than Christopherson, Brigham, Devin Moore, and even Brian Hill. His field vision is phenomenal. He seems to know where the gap is going to be before it even opens up and when it does open up, he cuts and gets through it insanely quickly. Then he has the straight line speed to outrun the secondary. The two long touchdowns he broke off against Texas and App State are perfect examples of this.
he looks better than Christopherson, Brigham, Devin Moore, and even Brian Hill.
Care to go into further details there? Devin and Wynell were great ( remember there jersey numbers because they had names on the backs back then). Ol thunder and lightning. They kept us in alot of games. Unfortunately thats been well over a decade ago and my memory of the Joe Glenn days are fading.

What I really loved about Brian Hill is how agile he was. He jiggled one way or another and defenders would miss him. What I hate about him is he should have stayed around for 2016 - he could have given us a mountain west championship that year. Instead, we had to rely entirely on Allen. I think that was one of the highest passing years we had under Bohl. A good run game - and that damn Stanard....
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand

307bball wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:07 am
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:01 am
Ah yeah. He was really good. He could generate pressure on basically every play. The grass isn't always greener and now he's a nobody. Hope he is happy with riding the pine. Same with Neyor, Cobbs. Their asses ride the pine. Not Cowboys.
What does that say when a guy like Omotosho who looks talented can't see playing time after a transfer? It's not like he went to Alabama...do we just have overall very low talent?
My thought? You assemble a team. The team has physical attributes that can compliment each other. The team has mental things too - "Do I like my teammates?." People that like each other stay together. Do I like my coaches? Does it all feel good?

As much as I would like Svobada to be QB, Peasley is the captain and has that team rallying around him. A tough physical team that is mentally 'on the same page' is better than the best physical players in the world that are worrying about selling tshirts and white label gatorade from their brand.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Last edited by ragtimejoe1 on Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:12 pm Wrong thread
Oooof. Putrid. Shame on Bohl
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:45 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:12 pm Wrong thread
Oooof. Putrid. Shame on Bohl
Haha, moved it to the other thread.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:27 am

Uh, they run the same defense at OSU.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Has anyone heard if DQ landed anywhere?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:56 pm Has anyone heard if DQ landed anywhere?
DQ had some unflattering things to say about coach Bohl, unsurprisingly.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:56 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:56 pm Has anyone heard if DQ landed anywhere?
What did DQ say publicly? I believe he was kicked off the team for getting into Bohl’s face at practice and saying things but hadn’t seen any public comments.

I’d say his family’s social media posts accusing Bohl of being a racist were pretty bad and did DQ no favors in finding a landing spot.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Not yet according to 247sports:

https://247sports.com/Season/2024-Footb ... nkey=24086
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:56 pm

Hmm, Karma. I liked DQ before his family and him started talking 💩 on the program.

It’s interesting how those who transferred out aren’t better off. Oshomoto has stats for like 3 games, partial. Neyor transferring from Texas - he could have been really spotlighted at Wyoming this year. The kid who went to Texas Tech, not much in stats. Cobb, not much. I can’t remember all the others. Solomon probably improved himself at USC.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:55 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:56 pm
What did DQ say publicly? I believe he was kicked off the team for getting into Bohl’s face at practice and saying things but hadn’t seen any public comments.

I’d say his family’s social media posts accusing Bohl of being a racist were pretty bad and did DQ no favors in finding a landing spot.
He told me privately some things. Basically what you said.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:01 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:56 pm

Hmm, Karma. I liked DQ before his family and him started talking 💩 on the program.

It’s interesting how those who transferred out aren’t better off. Oshomoto has stats for like 3 games, partial. Neyor transferring from Texas - he could have been really spotlighted at Wyoming this year. The kid who went to Texas Tech, not much in stats. Cobb, not much. I can’t remember all the others. Solomon probably improved himself at USC.
He did well on maybe one of the worst defenses in the country.