Peasley needs to sit

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

That was one of the worst quarterbacked games I’ve seen at UW. Ever. And that’s saying something. If he’s not going to run, he’s beyond useless. It was comical trying to watch him play QB today. Bohl and Polasec should be flogged too. Polasec has ZERO feel for how to call plays
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

I’m starting to think that myself. I’m not a fan.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:17 pm That was one of the worst quarterbacked games I’ve seen at UW. Ever. And that’s saying something. If he’s not going to run, he’s beyond useless. It was comical trying to watch him play QB today. Bohl and Polasec should be flogged too. Polasec has ZERO feel for how to call plays
I agree completely. This reminds me of the time that Levi Williams didn’t see the field when he was clearly our better option. Svoboda has to be thinking what the hell.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Play Svoboda he gives us more of a presence and better qb understanding. Peasley forces things too much...we need a bigger, stronger, fastet dude....hence Svoboda
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

Peasley had a rough outing for sure, but that dreadful passing performance was not completely on him.

We had several dropped balls on good throws by Peasley. Some of those drops would have extended drives. Those are squarely on the receivers (mainly tight ends).

Teams are also starting to catch onto our passing philosophy. 90% of what we run are shorts outs, quick slants, and 8-10 yard curl routes. App State’s secondary was sitting on those short routes, and Peasley often didn’t have a good option for where to go with the ball. Most of those sacks were coverage sacks.

Who knows how Svboda would have performed, but there is more to our passing game struggles than just bad QB play.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

TheRealUW wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:04 am Peasley had a rough outing for sure, but that dreadful passing performance was not completely on him.

We had several dropped balls on good throws by Peasley. Some of those drops would have extended drives. Those are squarely on the receivers (mainly tight ends).

Teams are also starting to catch onto our passing philosophy. 90% of what we run are shorts outs, quick slants, and 8-10 yard curl routes. App State’s secondary was sitting on those short routes, and Peasley often didn’t have a good option for where to go with the ball. Most of those sacks were coverage sacks.

Who knows how Svboda would have performed, but there is more to our passing game struggles than just bad QB play.
I counted one good throw that was dropped last night (Welch). What I saw was a noodle armed QB that had no zip on the ball and was late in his progressions. Clearly he was impacted by the shoulder injury. This is on the coaches for playing him.

Yes our receivers struggled to get separation but that’s because they had no respect for any deep routes and were sitting on the 8-10 year outs, curls and slants over the middle to the TEs. The reason we had the 75 yard run is because App State loaded the box and brought the safeties up to cover the short passes; once Waylee hit the second level, there was no one there.

To be honest, the only game I can recall with worse QB play from a passing perspective was Nick Smith against Eastern Michigan.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

How many horrible sacks did he take? How many false starts (many times the QB contributes to these), and how many horrible throws? He has the worst accuracy on deep balls ever. He can’t get them within 10 yards of anyone. And how can he miss his target by so much on short passes?

He needs to sit and heal his shoulder. Only a 100% peasley is barely serviceable
Last edited by LanderPoke on Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

TheRealUW wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:04 am Peasley had a rough outing for sure, but that dreadful passing performance was not completely on him.

I agree the whole offense is trash. It would be difficult to design a worse passing game, and really entire offense, if you tried
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:42 am How many horrible sacks did he take? How many false starts (many times the QB contributes to these), and how many horrible throws? He has the worst accuracy on deep balls ever. He can’t get them within 10 yards of anyone. And how can he miss his target by so much on short passes?

He needs to sit and heal his shoulder. Only a 100% peasley is barely serviceable
After having rewatched the game last night, the worst throw he made was the pick 6. I didn't realize he threw it behind the receiver on a simple swing route. He did run for a td. His legs make him dangerous. But we can't win conference games throwing for 30 yards. So maybe you're right.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

We can all agree that Peasley did not play well last night. I just don’t think anything we saw last night was something we didn’t already know about Peasley. He has always been slow to get through his post-snap reads. He has always struggled with accuracy. He has never had a particularity strong arm.

It just got exposed more last night because App State came in with a good defensive game plan and executed it well. App State is a good team and they looked to be put into a position to be successful by their coaches, especially on the defensive side of the ball. They covered our short routes well and made a point of containing Peasley on scrambles. It was an excellent game plan on their part and it worked. We never adjusted.

I still can’t believe we won that game. Out of 1000 games like that, we lose 995 times. We were not just outplayed, but outplayed by a significant margin. I guess it goes to show the importance of big plays and the ability to score TD’s when you get into the red zone.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Honestly, outside of short passes and the run game, there isn't anything else on O. Conference teams know exactly what's coming. Same old same old. If we run them over we win, if not we lose 999 (i thought 995 was too generous) out of a 1000.

That was one of the worst offensive performances I've seen which is pretty profound considering the bad offenses we've endured over the years.

I think Appy State D is good but not substantially better than the better end of the mwc defenses.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

He had a QB rating of 6.2!

Seemed like he was told not to run. Possibly still injured?

Our o-line play was not good either. We somehow handled Texas better than App State. I'm not sure Svoboda could've managed much better in this scenario?
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

So I am in Spain on vacation and I'm trying to follow the feed on Yahoo in the middle of the night and wondering WTF is going on. It just sounded like worst offensive performance all time. From all of you who were there or actually able to watch, it must have been. The defence must not have been horrible, having to pick up up after a $h!show like that. Can't help but think the luck is going to run out eventually. Just make the decision to go with with another QB, even if he's green. Couldn't be any worse, at least as far as I can tell from an ocean and a continent away.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:52 am Honestly, outside of short passes and the run game, there isn't anything else on O. Conference teams know exactly what's coming. Same old same old. If we run them over we win, if not we lose 999 (i thought 995 was too generous) out of a 1000.

That was one of the worst offensive performances I've seen which is pretty profound considering the bad offenses we've endured over the years.

I think Appy State D is good but not substantially better than the better end of the mwc defenses.
Honestly, our best play is dropping back to pass and having the QB scramble and take off. Has been for years. If peasley won’t do that, then he needs to sit. Give someone else a shot. Clemons and svoboda both throw better
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

It seemed like Peasley was still hurt. His deep balls were ducks that were falling way short. None were close. Also, he seemed tentative to run. Outside of the scramble for the TD early he didn’t run.

I will say it again, we need to get rid of Grant. Our WR corps is not getting any separation and their routes are not crisp. They never have been under Grant. How an option QB from Nebraska makes sense as the WR coach I cannot grasp.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

LawPoke wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:03 am It seemed like Peasley was still hurt. His deep balls were ducks that were falling way short. None were close. Also, he seemed tentative to run. Outside of the scramble for the TD early he didn’t run.

I will say it again, we need to get rid of Grant. Our WR corps is not getting any separation and their routes are not crisp. They never have been under Grant. How an option QB from Nebraska makes sense as the WR coach I cannot grasp.
yup. Grant also has the title “passing game coordinator “ or something like that. He needs to go. Abject failure by him
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

LawPoke wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:03 am
I've been screaming this for years and I don't understand why more people don't understand this.

The man was ill-qualified for the job to start off with, took it on, had the worst position group on the team for forever, and somehow GOT PROMOTED and is literally our passing game coordinator. What in the actual f***?

We haven't had a single WR able to get separation in Bohl's tenure here. Even our big name guys over the years only pulled off what they did because of their size and ability to come down with contested catches....which no well-oiled offense should have to exclusively rely on. And even our rare speedsters can't get separation.

Receiver separation is 100% a technique issue, which is 100% a coaching issue.

Peas, Bohl, Polasek...they all have their faults...but how is anyone supposed to do anything if receivers are literally never open? The only time we have open guys is when we slip an RB/FB/TE out and there's a busted coverage because the defenses don't pick up the extra guy. Why do you think our TEs are usually our most productive receivers? It's not rocket science.

I'm gonna defend Polasek here a bit and say that overall, his playcalling has been much improved and schematically this is a much different offense than previous years. I don't have much of a bone to pick with him; he's done what he can given the circumstances. There's only so much you can do when you're stuck with a certain QB, your WRs are never open, your OL can't pass protect, and every other play your OL is getting a penalty and you're starting drives behind the sticks every. single. time.

As for Peas...I've been a huge defender of him and I think a lot of last year's struggles were not on him. But it's clear that he's regressed, his health and brain are a concern, and his accuracy and strength are not there. So his shortcomings complicate things even further.

Last but not least, we don't have a true power back anymore (Scott looked to be that guy in development, but we've not seen him at all lately for some reason). We also don't have a true speedster; DQ has MASSIVELY regressed. We're literally relying on the midrange feature/workhorse in Waylee, who is doing what he can but isn't getting any help. If you want to be a power running team, you have to have a stable of change-of-pace backs, and we don't have that.

The problem is multifaceted, and pointing the finger at any one person is disingenuous. But there's certainly a few major problems that could be easily rectified (fire Grant, bench Peas for Svoboda, make an effort to develop Scott/give him more touches, and figure out what the hell DQ's issue is).

But we've seen this movie before. Bohl refused to bench TVW until it was too late. He refused to bench Chambers until it was too late. He'll do the same with Peasley.

And i swear, Mike Grant must have some massive f***ing dirt on Craig Bohl. There's no way a position coach who's that incompetent not only keeps their job, but gets promoted....even after an OC change.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Doesn't matter who the coach is, the people at WR aren't that good. Marquez and Wieland are good guys, but they have no business being starters on an FBS team.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Wyoming was just flat yesterday after that big game at Texas last week. They should be fine for a couple of weeks.,Peasley may still be hurt though. Actually think they need to stick to the run more. This team seems to do better with running the ball than previous teams and the line blocks well for it.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

It was obvious that Peasley was not going to run except as a last resort. I assume he is still injured and that is why no QB run plays. Just a good scramble for the TD. Passing they kept trying to force the ball deep but he lacked accuracy and zip. Wyoming won despite him and wont be so lucky if he continues to play the same way.