Wyoming @ Texas 9/16/23 - Game Thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

I am proud of the team. Seems like a good effort
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

This years team should be the best in the mwc. They are physical and can run the ball and their defense is legitimate.The one thing that hamstrings this team is that there is nobody in the receiving corps who can create separation which some have mentioned a few times. They gave Texas all they could handle through 45 minutes before they wore down against a team with more size and incredible speed.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

cowboyz wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:07 pm
WyomingAgJ wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:40 pm

Hmmm too bad, I would think it would have been another good rep for the team. Only 1 TD the whole game in the very first drive. Would have been at least a bit more situational practice at the end of game to see if we could score in a 5 minute offense and possibly take some momentum going into next week. Too bad
I totally agree with you. Bohl does play for morale victories, as only seconds before he was going for a TD which wouldn't have affected the outcome of the game. Scoring again on Texas would have been a big boost to the team, for the future, even if not for the moment. Texas still had their starters in as they certainly didn't want to give up another score. Plus, if we'd manage a TD at the end, we would have virtually ended up with as many yards gained on them, as they had on us. I feel it was a missed opportunity to build on.
would have love to have scored there at the end...but just because one turd smell slightly better than another turd doesn't mean it's not a turd. I'm mostly impressed that they Cowboys played so well through three quarters. And that was without forcing a turnover. We mostly went toe to toe with a very very talented team. ....

When it comes to Bohl....everybody has pretty much formed their opinions. If you hate Bohl then every decision he makes is another reason to hate him. I'll hand it to him for this game plan...the window for us to be in this game in the fourth was tiny and he got us there. Time to move on from this one. Let's start winning games!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 154 times

307bball wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:51 pm
cowboyz wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:46 pm

Chambers?! Chambers completed less than half his passes.
Not saying he's better or worse...he was obviously very limited in what they were allowing him to throw....Just noting the mold of the big rugged guy that is not a traditional "thrower". Like I said...I thought he really played within himself and gave us a chance. The pass that got picked for the touchdown was bad but overall he did fine.
You can make an argument he outplayed Ewers with a lot less talent. He didn’t have luxury of just dumping it to someone for a 60 yd TD.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:19 pm

Not saying he's better or worse...he was obviously very limited in what they were allowing him to throw....Just noting the mold of the big rugged guy that is not a traditional "thrower". Like I said...I thought he really played within himself and gave us a chance. The pass that got picked for the touchdown was bad but overall he did fine.
You can make an argument he outplayed Ewers with a lot less talent. He didn’t have luxury of just dumping it to someone for a 60 yd TD.
Totally....
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

Great point. He was on point many times tonight but does anyone disagree that with this team Peasley is still our best option at quarterback?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Yes i was pleased with the game through 3 quarters, BUT dumb mistakes always snakebit us at horrible times and a GREAT team took advantage and found a way to get it done. Someday I'll see us finish a game and play flawless for 60mins....I'm kinda happy with the result BUT I'm too old for constant moral victories against teams that are spozed to be superior to us. Oh well spread was covered if u take those or believe in it...NO letdown and cannot let App St sneak in and find a way to steal one at 7220
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 154 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:26 pm

Great point. He was on point many times tonight but does anyone disagree that with this team Peasley is still our best option at quarterback?
It’s tough. I think it’s closer than we all think. When we say QB, that encompasses leadership, running, audibles, passing, game management etc. I think it’s clear Svboda is a better true passer. That seemed fairly clear to me.
W-Y, Until I Die!
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

307bball wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:19 pm

When it comes to Bohl....everybody has pretty much formed their opinions. If you hate Bohl then every decision he makes is another reason to hate him
Maybe that's true for your average fan, but it isn't for all of us.

I'm extremely critical of Bohl and his staff, and certainly have my opinions about him. That's no secret.

But I've also given him a ton of credit where it's due this year, and I don't have anything to criticize about the UT game.

Not everything is black and white, and some of us do know what nuance is.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

They took a tie into the 4th quarter against the #4 team in the nation. Our defense gave up 316 yards, which was only 25 yards more than we gained. Considering that recruiting is more difficult than ever for a school like ours, I'm super impressed. Yeah, that pick 6 sucked, and not scoring at the end made the score worse than what the game actually seemed like, but whatever. I think the team should feel confident with the remaining schedule given how they played.

In the end, we're 2-1 after 3 games, and that's ahead of where I thought we'd be. I hope we don't think App State will be an easy game, though. It'd be super nice to go into conference play 3-1.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 54 times

The more I watch Sarkisian talk, the more I dislike him. His postgame press conference was filled with excuses, none of which included any credit to how the Cowboys played.

He spoke all week leading up to the game about how he was preaching to the team the importance of not letting the big win against Alabama affect their performance against Wyoming. He even mentioned the team held a "players only meeting" to stress to one another the importance of coming out ready to play against us. And then what is the first excuse out of his mouth in the postgame press conference? "We had sore backs from everyone patting us on the back all week" and "our heads weren't in the right place from the get go". He knew it was a potential issue because he talked about it all damn week. If the team wasn't ready to play, that's squarely on him as the head coach.

He also claimed "this is the third week we've had a team play completely different defensive schemes against us than they have shown on tape". You have to be kidding me! You expect every team you play against to come out and play the exact same schemes they've shown you on tape and not change anything up? It took your offensive coaches three full quarters to adjust their schemes to what they were seeing from the Wyoming defense on the field? Isn't Sarkisian the offensive play caller? But according to Sark, teams switching up their defensive schemes against you is "how you know you are a great team". Dude would make an excellent used cars salesman.

I don't care what anybody says, that Texas team is nowhere near a national title contender this year. Alabama is a shell of their typical selves this year, and Texas' win over them will look worse and worse as the season progresses. I'd be shocked if Texas doesn't drop at least 2-3 games this year. I'll say what Sark wasn't willing to - Texas and Wyoming are much closer in talent level than what everyone expected. I saw our offensive and defensive lines going toe to toe with Texas and winning just as many battles as they lost. Our secondary did a fantastic job of covering Texas' damn good wide receiver group. If you want to chalk it up to "not having our head in the game" or "different defensive schemes than we saw on tape", then so be it; I'll call it exactly what it is - EXCUSES.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:11 am
307bball wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:19 pm

When it comes to Bohl....everybody has pretty much formed their opinions. If you hate Bohl then every decision he makes is another reason to hate him
Maybe that's true for your average fan, but it isn't for all of us.

I'm extremely critical of Bohl and his staff, and certainly have my opinions about him. That's no secret.

But I've also given him a ton of credit where it's due this year, and I don't have anything to criticize about the UT game.

Not everything is black and white, and some of us do know what nuance is.
That is fair... Agreed that Bohl had a great plan for this game.

I just am getting tired of people who don't like Bohl stretching so far in the criticism... As if his shortcomings aren't glaringly obvious. He's limited as a coach because he can't adapt a modern offense to his philosophy... That's it.... The constant scrutiny over every in-game decision just seems dumb.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

We needed 22 points to win that game in the end. That means Texas paid us $84,090.91 per point to take that loss.

The most amazing thing was in the 4th quarter watching their guys break away with speed and then realizing how we kept the ball in front of us throughout the first 3 quarters. There was some serious speed that was stunted most of that game.

And I'm still amazed waylee broke off that first score and out ran everyone. Not something I'm used to these days. We had some rabbits under DC though. Its mainly been possession since then.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

TheRealUW wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:13 am The more I watch Sarkisian talk, the more I dislike him. His postgame press conference was filled with excuses, none of which included any credit to how the Cowboys played.

He spoke all week leading up to the game about how he was preaching to the team the importance of not letting the big win against Alabama affect their performance against Wyoming. He even mentioned the team held a "players only meeting" to stress to one another the importance of coming out ready to play against us. And then what is the first excuse out of his mouth in the postgame press conference? "We had sore backs from everyone patting us on the back all week" and "our heads weren't in the right place from the get go". He knew it was a potential issue because he talked about it all damn week. If the team wasn't ready to play, that's squarely on him as the head coach.

He also claimed "this is the third week we've had a team play completely different defensive schemes against us than they have shown on tape". You have to be kidding me! You expect every team you play against to come out and play the exact same schemes they've shown you on tape and not change anything up? It took your offensive coaches three full quarters to adjust their schemes to what they were seeing from the Wyoming defense on the field? Isn't Sarkisian the offensive play caller? But according to Sark, teams switching up their defensive schemes against you is "how you know you are a great team". Dude would make an excellent used cars salesman.

I don't care what anybody says, that Texas team is nowhere near a national title contender this year. Alabama is a shell of their typical selves this year, and Texas' win over them will look worse and worse as the season progresses. I'd be shocked if Texas doesn't drop at least 2-3 games this year. I'll say what Sark wasn't willing to - Texas and Wyoming are much closer in talent level than what everyone expected. I saw our offensive and defensive lines going toe to toe with Texas and winning just as many battles as they lost. Our secondary did a fantastic job of covering Texas' damn good wide receiver group. If you want to chalk it up to "not having our head in the game" or "different defensive schemes than we saw on tape", then so be it; I'll call it exactly what it is - EXCUSES.
Sarkisian is well known douche and alcoholic and he went to BYU. What did you expect??
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 41 times

All you really had to say was that he went to BYU.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

Just wanted to add...what Sark said about the defensive schemes we played wasn't even true.

We played a lot of 3-3-5 against Texas and that is the exact same defense we played against Texas Tech. Who knows if Sark even watched that film though. It just blows my mind that a coach at this level of college football is surprised about a team using a unique scheme against them - it's nothing but an excuse. Once Texas drops the 2-3 games that I know they will, the Texas fanbase will start to see through Sark's BS and he will be squarely on the hot seat.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

TheRealUW wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:13 am The more I watch Sarkisian talk, the more I dislike him. His postgame press conference was filled with excuses, none of which included any credit to how the Cowboys played.

This. A billion times this. He gave us no credit for having a hand in Texas’ struggles. The arrogance of Sark and Texas is staggering. It’s ok to say that WYoming played well and was full of tough kids to tested them. The SEC is gonna regret inviting them. They destroy every conference the join. I will just enjoy watching them get humbled, even if they don’t admit it.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

TheRealUW wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:20 am Just wanted to add...what Sark said about the defensive schemes we played wasn't even true.

We played a lot of 3-3-5 against Texas and that is the exact same defense we played against Texas Tech. Who knows if Sark even watched that film though. It just blows my mind that a coach at this level of college football is surprised about a team using a unique scheme against them - it's nothing but an excuse. Once Texas drops the 2-3 games that I know they will, the Texas fanbase will start to see through Sark's BS and he will be squarely on the hot seat.
We failed to register the game plan and strategy with Texas one week before playing. That upset their feelings.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

Outlaw Arthur Morgan wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:49 am
TheRealUW wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:20 am Just wanted to add...what Sark said about the defensive schemes we played wasn't even true.

We failed to register the game plan and strategy with Texas one week before playing. That upset their feelings.
A perfect reflection of quite a few Texas fans around us. They are a lot like Nebraska fans - faux polite and gracious until the chips are down...and then the fangs, nastiness, and arrogance emerge. Most TX fans were fine and welcoming but took extreme exception to our fans echoing the WYO cheer when one of their players was down (not a great look for Wyoming, but WTH - their own cheerleaders were leading TX cheers at the same exact time). After that, paired with the reality that their mighty 'Horns were outright struggling against lowly Wyoming, they found every excuse to be miserable POSs reeking of superiority when they scored in the 4th.

As I was walking out, a very nice man congratulated us on playing well and that our "QB played with poise just like he did against Tech". When I told him that we were actually playing our backup that had thrown less than 10 passes in games and was made starter on gameday, I could've knocked him over with a feather. He offered, "thank God we didn't play you with your starter or you would've whupped us." I just smiled and nodded and couldn't have been more proud of the work that Svoboda did to lead to his initial conclusion.

I think Bama is a paper tiger and TX is a team that can pull away against teams like Rice and Wyoming only due to depth and playing at home. When they run up against other teams with depth and talent, it could be a 2-3 loss season for the now-astounding Longhorns. Time will tell though.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

LawPoke wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:37 am A perfect reflection of quite a few Texas fans around us. They are a lot like Nebraska fans - faux polite and gracious until the chips are down...and then the fangs, nastiness, and arrogance emerge. Most TX fans were fine and welcoming but took extreme exception to our fans echoing the WYO cheer when one of their players was down (not a great look for Wyoming, but WTH - their own cheerleaders were leading TX cheers at the same exact time). After that, paired with the reality that their mighty 'Horns were outright struggling against lowly Wyoming, they found every excuse to be miserable POSs reeking of superiority when they scored in the 4th.

As I was walking out, a very nice man congratulated us on playing well and that our "QB played with poise just like he did against Tech". When I told him that we were actually playing our backup that had thrown less than 10 passes in games and was made starter on gameday, I could've knocked him over with a feather. He offered, "thank God we didn't play you with your starter or you would've whupped us." I just smiled and nodded and couldn't have been more proud of the work that Svoboda did to lead to his initial conclusion.

I think Bama is a paper tiger and TX is a team that can pull away against teams like Rice and Wyoming only due to depth and playing at home. When they run up against other teams with depth and talent, it could be a 2-3 loss season for the now-astounding Longhorns. Time will tell though.
Overall, I thought the Texas fans were pretty good. They mostly just ignored us, and when they did say something to us, it was never derogatory or over-the line. Not sure where exactly you were sitting, but we had a quite a few inebriated Wyoming fans around us that were loudly proclaiming how bad Texas sucked all game long. Can't say I felt bad for them when the Texas fans gave them back some flack once they started scoring in the 4th quarter. It's all part of the fun of live college football as long as it doesn't cross the line.

I live in Austin, so I talk with Texas football fans all the time. Most of them are embarrassed with how the team has been mostly irrelevant over the last decade and are dying for them to be in the national discussion again. A lot of them I spoke with in the week leading up to the game were quite worried about Wyoming. They knew we had a strong defense and were capable of pulling off the upset if we played well.