MWC: Week 3

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Levi Williams finds himself passed over by a true freshman 5’10, 180 lb true freshman as Air Force destroys Utah State. It appears Williams is now the 3rd string QB. Potato Bowl MVP to complete afterthought with the transfer.

https://www.deseret.com/2023/9/15/23875 ... -air-force
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:09 am Levi Williams finds himself passed over by a true freshman 5’10, 180 lb true freshman as Air Force destroys Utah State. It appears Williams is now the 3rd string QB. Potato Bowl MVP to complete afterthought with the transfer.

that’s pretty shocking. He should probably quit.

I wasn’t able to watch, but looks like Utah shart got SMASHED. Down29-0 at one point. But that little backup seems to have had a good game. Maybe AF called off the dogs though
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:50 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:09 am Levi Williams finds himself passed over by a true freshman 5’10, 180 lb true freshman as Air Force destroys Utah State. It appears Williams is now the 3rd string QB. Potato Bowl MVP to complete afterthought with the transfer.

that’s pretty shocking. He should probably quit.

I wasn’t able to watch, but looks like Utah shart got SMASHED. Down29-0 at one point. But that little backup seems to have had a good game. Maybe AF called off the dogs though
I watched until halftime. TO's gave AFA all the momentum up front. AFA's defense was aggressive. And they ran up and down the field like nobody was there. I was wondering if I'd wake up and see this game was lost 88-0. Looks like USU was able to stop enough of the bleeding to reattach the arm and score a few points anyways. Too bad they couldn't stop AFA.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

I like Fresno this weekend to knock of AZ State.
I think Kansas will whomp Nevada; Vandy takes care of UNLV.

Hopefully we will keep it respectable against Texas....
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Portland State won 91-0. Obviously playing a nobody but 91 points is insane.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Everybody makes the massive assumption that Williams transferred out because he thought he'd get a better opportunity at USU, and wants to clown on him for it.

In reality, he's not stupid, and we'll never know the actual reasons why. We know there were some locker room issues. We also know that his longtime girlfriend was a volleyball star at USU; there's probably personal factors that went into it, football may no longer be a priority for him other than a means to pay for school...and I'm not sure that clowning on the kid years later is worth anyone's time. Let it go. This board's obsessive hate boner for any coach or student who leaves is the most immature sh** I've ever seen.

As for the games...

Fresno State is back to form. Granted, ASU is very, very bad (and also injured to kingdom come), but they're still the second P5 Fresno has beaten and they did it in impressive fashion. Think the near-loss to EWU woke them up, although there's still some things Fresno fans aren't real happy with and some things to clean up.

Boise State is seeming to rebound a bit, but they definitely still have some things to clean up. I watched some of that game and they're still far from dominant.

Obviously we still have some sh** to clean up and the wheels came off in the 4th, but you gotta be impressed with hanging with the #4 team in the country for three quarters.

AFA finally played some real competition and looked pretty good doing it, but I will say that USU shot themselves in the foot plenty and AFA came real close to letting it swing the other way.

UNLV beat a lower-tier P5. Kudos to them, but I wouldn't call them a powerhouse quite yet.

Nevada played Kansas close in an absolute clusterf*** of a game where no one deserved to win and both teams did their best to give it away.

CSU lost a rivalry heartbreaker in 2OT against a decent Colorado squad.

UNM lost to NMSU (lol), UH got blown out by Oregon, SJSU regressed again and lost to Toledo, SDSU got blown out by Oregon State.

Top 3 in the conference are most definitely Fresno State, Boise State, and Wyoming (and I think they're all super close). AFA maybe not far behind. Everyone else? Whooo boy....not a great conference this year. Teams are either truly bad, or extremely inconsistent.