Hey Heath...now it is time to limit Derm's minutes.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Derm looked like Eggbert last night. Slow, short, and sloppy.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Does he actually think that Dermody is a better defender than AJ? Rather unusual substitutions at the end of the game. Davis sat for too much of the second half.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 51 times

Whether or not Dermondy should be brought in for a single defensive stand is debatable. I'll admit that. However, I would actually rather have Dermondy rather than AJ over the course of an entire game. Here's why:

The only thing AJ does better is score. In nearly an identical number of minutes, Dermondy has more assists, a far better 3 point shooting percentage, more rebounds per game, and far more blocks. We have all seen just how important it is to have a guy on the perimeter who can knock down the 3 if he gets the chance. While Dermondy isn't a prolific 3 point shooter, he is far better than AJ is. Evidence? Dermody shoots 33% from behind the arc, while AJ shoots 11%. Yes, 11% from the 2 guard spot. This next stat alone would make me pick Dermondy over AJ: AJ has 45 turnovers this season; Dermondy has 12. That's a difference of 33 turnovers even though Dermondy has played slightly more minutes this year. That's potentially anywhere between 66 and 99 points that we lost and the other team got. Thats between a 132 and 198 point swing in favor of the opposing team. That's completely UNACCEPTABLE. I sure do remember several people on this board having fits about a certain player who is turnover prone and his name isn't AJ. In fact, that player to remain unnamed only has 10 more TO's than AJ has, and we all know he has played far more minutes.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

AJ is a better defender, especially at the end of the game. Seemed to me Heath had the substitutions backwards with Dermody and AJ during the last few minutes. Put AJ in for his D, not Dermody who continually got schooled by Carlon Brown. I was not debating Dermody's worth over the course of a game as the threat of his three point shooting is needed. He just is not a defensive stopper as Heath tried to use him last night.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Minor issue, but I just can't let this go: Can we please spell his name right? He's a senior, we should have learned it by now.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I just want to see Desmar Jackson continue to get more minutes. I know he makes mistakes on the defensive side of the ball, but I think he could be the focal point of the program over the next 3 seasons. He is that good. JMO.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

TheRealUW wrote:Whether or not Dermondy should be brought in for a single defensive stand is debatable. I'll admit that. However, I would actually rather have Dermondy rather than AJ over the course of an entire game. Here's why:

The only thing AJ does better is score. In nearly an identical number of minutes, Dermondy has more assists, a far better 3 point shooting percentage, more rebounds per game, and far more blocks. We have all seen just how important it is to have a guy on the perimeter who can knock down the 3 if he gets the chance. While Dermondy isn't a prolific 3 point shooter, he is far better than AJ is. Evidence? Dermody shoots 33% from behind the arc, while AJ shoots 11%. Yes, 11% from the 2 guard spot. This next stat alone would make me pick Dermondy over AJ: AJ has 45 turnovers this season; Dermondy has 12. That's a difference of 33 turnovers even though Dermondy has played slightly more minutes this year. That's potentially anywhere between 66 and 99 points that we lost and the other team got. Thats between a 132 and 198 point swing in favor of the opposing team. That's completely UNACCEPTABLE. I sure do remember several people on this board having fits about a certain player who is turnover prone and his name isn't AJ. In fact, that player to remain unnamed only has 10 more TO's than AJ has, and we all know he has played far more minutes.

:thumb: :thumb:
WyNative
Ranch Hand

My concern is Luster. I know with all the Alpha males on the floor we need a play maker/floor general but not sure he is the guy.
pokebball
Buckaroo

I'm high on Luster. He's got his assist to turnover ratio looking good. He's a monster on defense and runs the floor well for us. Some of the best bball we saw last night was when he was playing the 1 and Jackson was at the 2.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 51 times

I was skeptical of Luster after the non-conference season, but he has looked pretty damn impressive since conference play began. He wasn't looking for his shot at all early in the season, but he seems to have gained confidence that he can score regardless of his height. I LOVE the way he plays defense. Yeah, he gets beat a few times a game, but it's mainly because he is so aggressive with his defense. With that kind of full-court pressure, all of a sudden jump shots and free throws become a lot tougher and there isn't much energy left to play defense. Way to go Luster.