Game thoughts

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Big victory for the program. We needed this

Thought we were gonna lose 50-0 . We hung in there and showed TRUE GRIT and never SPIT THE BIT lol. Real Cowboy stuff

The offense is more or less the same, but seemed better somehow. TE usage was superb and we have two great ones in Welch and Gyllenborg. WRs seem a bit better than last year, but that’s not saying much.

The RBs ran well considering the offense we have. I was super impressed with Sam Scott. Huge and semi fast and just puts his head down and goes. DQ will break some big ones this year. Not that impressed with Ferrell. I would roll with Scott mainly until we get healthier.

Peasly was a warrior. I was not very impressed with his accuracy greater than ten yards, or his decision making at times, but he ran well and that’s what was missing last year. He showed more guts than I’ve seen in a long time. He’s a good athlete. Peas really cemented his legacy last night in Pokes lore. Whatever happens now we’ll always have that performance last night.

Defense later..
Hotkarl
Buckaroo
Been liked: 5 times

My big takeway is that we were the better team. This was not a fluke win. We are better than them. I think Tech is a fringe top 25 team, so Im thinking so are we.

Peasley is on tough SOB and this Defense is great.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

We can score when it counts. :)

Portland State got whacked last week, so there's a great chance we move to 2-0.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

I’ll get burned at the cross, which I’m okay with, but I’ll give Bohl some credit. Wyoming had a much different offensive scheme than what we’ve all become used to seeing. The ability to use the passing game was a difference maker.

Go ahead, roast away.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:03 pm I’ll get burned at the cross, which I’m okay with, but I’ll give Bohl some credit. Wyoming had a much different offensive scheme than what we’ve all become used to seeing. The ability to use the passing game was a difference maker.

Go ahead, roast away.
This was a different offense. Much more passing. It didn't resemble anything from last year. One bad pass last year and it was 100% run game.

For 2.5 quarters, the passing game looked much better this year.

They took some risks. I about pissed myself in the stadium on that 4th and 3 and I said "Here comes the punt - and instead we went for it."

The defense scheme was different - looked like a hybrid mix of 4-3, 3-2-6 and other fronts. They disguised what they were doing.

Nothing looked the same as last year. Its like he quite micromanaging as much and started letting the coaches coach and the players play.

TTU probably had much more to lose than us in this game. I was glad to see some risk taking.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

Hotkarl wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:47 pm My big takeway is that we were the better team. This was not a fluke win. We are better than them. I think Tech is a fringe top 25 team, so Im thinking so are we.

Peasley is on tough SOB and this Defense is great.
I would disagree. I'm not sure who the better team was. We started rough and TTU had great field position off a few turnovers.

We frustrated the hell out of them and got some good penalties to get better field position.

I would bet:
Our defense would beat their offense 8/10 times. Grade A
Their defense would beat our offense 9/10 times. Grade A
Penalties:
Wyo: Grade C
TTU: Grade D
Special Teams:
Wyo: Grade A
TTU: Grade C

They lost their discipline and they didn't do well in the field goal arena.
We started off terrible in penalties but it wasn't personal fouls. I'd expect a few false starts in the first game. Hitting people out of bounds just wreaks of frustration.

We took risks we don't normally take. We wore them out physically and mentally.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:02 pm I’ll get burned at the cross, which I’m okay with, but I’ll give Bohl some credit. Wyoming had a much different offensive scheme than what we’ve all become used to seeing. The ability to use the passing game was a difference maker.

Go ahead, roast away.
Right there with you. Hate to credit Bohl, but I think you have to. Either way, the win makes him look good.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

We’ll still have trouble competing for the top of the league. Peasley isn’t consistent enough with the long ball to stretch the field. A couple of the WRs didn’t do him any favors either with at least 2 catchable long balls. Good thing is that tonight’s performance throwing is all he really needs to match for us to do really well. Throw in a better running night and we’ll be winning some games.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

-Peasley is tough as nails. You can definitely see why the coaches and team rally around him.

-I still think DQ could be our best weapon on offense. When we get him back, Waylee + DQ could be a great combo, with Smith and Ferrell providing depth.

-We have been asking for the Tight Ends to show up in the offense and they finally did. WR is still a question mark. I think Asante showed some juice. Just couldn't make a big play on the ball.

-We scored a touchdown on a drive extended by going for a 4th down in field goal range. I have been waiting for this for almost a decade now.

-The defense really could be the best under Bohl. We held an air raid Big12 team to less than 400 yards and 20 points in regulation, and that is with our offense putting them in a terrible position basically right away. I think we have the best defensive line in the Mountain West.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Tech scored about where I thought they would but it took a couple of OTs. I was surprised the POKES O could score. Had to be around 40% on 3rd down which is pretty good against a decent b12 d.

Really happy to be wrong on this one. Hoping the POKES can cruise against Portland!
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

I actually just got done typing up some additional thoughts talking to someone else, so I'm gonna be lazy and copy/paste lol:

There's still a lot of questions, though, and it remains to be seen how sustainable it is. I'll stand by the fact that nothing on paper said what happened was even remotely possible. Lol.

We'll certainly take it, and it'll be interesting to see how things progress moving forward.

Some thoughts:

-Polasek pulled out some of the most diverse and well-timed playcalling we've seen at Wyoming in years. It took everyone, including TTU, by surprise. If he can keep that playbook open, it bodes well.

-We'll get our [arguably] top WR (Pelissier) back sometime this month, and that will certainly be a boon for a passing game that, while improved, is still struggling.

-We'll also get our starter at RB (NIU transfer Harrison Waylee) back by the time conference play rolls around, which will be a huge lift. Early in the game it was very clear that our usually dominant running game was not up to our standards. DQ is good but not a power back/workhorse, and though Sam Scott seemed to step into that role as the game went on, he's still green and that limits the playbook.

-We'll have to wait until later today for the update on our LS. Our kicker and punter are really good, but losing our starting LS could throw a wrench in special teams for a couple weeks until another one gets up to speed. People underestimate how important timing and chemistry is there.

-Defense is as advertised. That was the one area we all knew would be good. While they weren't super dominant against TTU, they hung in there and did what they needed to. They'll terrorize MWC offenses for sure.

-There are still major issues with Peasley's accuracy. I don't know if it's Peasley, or if it's the receivers, or what, but he absolutely cannot seem to put the ball where it needs to be most of the time. It didn't burn him as much this game, but he also got lucky a few times (an INT that got negated by a penalty, for example).

-Our receivers still cannot get separation. This has been a problem for years, and it hasn't gotten better. Having said that, TTU is a fast f-word team.

-Peasley's health is a concern. His concussion issues actually date back to last year, and the hits he takes seem to be having a bigger and bigger effect on him. Svoboda is a bigger, stronger guy that Bohl really likes, but there's a reason Peas has the starting job and Evan has precious little game experience (I don't think he's attempted a single throw). Honestly, I'd like to see Peas get a week off or at least have Svoboda play most of the PSU game (assuming we don't f-word off too much and let PSU hang around). Dude needs reps in case the beatings Peas has been taking the last year aren't sustainable.

Overall? Happy and impressed with the win, no doubt. Definitely some surprises, and it was definitely a gutsy performance. But there's a lot of poop that needs cleaned up if Wyoming is to be a serious contender for the MWC. Most fans I talk to still have us at #3 or #4 in the MWC until we get a better sample size.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

Apologies for the double post, but just wanted to add...

Expectations for the season have certainly changed. Part of that is due to some things we saw with the TTU game, but also some of it has to do with what we've seen from other teams (especially conference mates).

I called for anywhere between 5-7 and 7-5 prior to to the season, leaning towards the worse option. BUT...I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say 9-3 is a realistic ceiling.

I still believe Texas is an auto-L, and I don't think that's an unreasonable take. I also believe Fresno State and Boise State are incredibly tough matchups that we have a very good chance of losing. Everything else is very winnable....including App State, who doesn't look as good as they have in years past and has to come here. Air Force may give us fits, but we'll see.

Unfortunately, even if we were to have a Cinderella run and go 9-3, I still don't think we see the championship game. All roads to that go through Fresno and Boise, and I don't see either of them racking up more than 1 or 2 conference losses. It'd be a goddamned shame, but unfortunately we can't change how math works.

Season definitely got a WHOLE lot more interesting, though.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:56 am We’ll still have trouble competing for the top of the league. Peasley isn’t consistent enough with the long ball to stretch the field. A couple of the WRs didn’t do him any favors either with at least 2 catchable long balls. Good thing is that tonight’s performance throwing is all he really needs to match for us to do really well. Throw in a better running night and we’ll be winning some games.
Agree. The offense has to find more juice for us to win the conference
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

The defense played great imo. That was a very high powered opponent we slowed down. We are going to have our way with many MWC teams and gives me hope for when we play Fresno and Boise.

The d line was as advertised. Bertgnole and Godbout and the other interior d linemen were dominant. Jaden Williams with a sack. Good for him

The d ends played very well. As was said before we didn’t go with four down linemen a lot of the time. I noticed Harsh was not played on the line at times. He flies around pretty good. Siders, who is a f-word beast, had a good game with a sack and a HUGE pressure that foiled their two point conversion. Harris with a sack. We have some absolute studs on the D line

Suianoa tackled well. He missed a ton last year, but really cleaned that up.

DBs played great. Hawkins played well, as well as Raylor and Tyrecys Davis. Good to have Davis emerge. White and Eckler are the top safety duo in the league. Both are SOLID. And wrook brown with one of the biggest interceptions in UW history.

I really felt we wore them down on both sides of the ball. And shout out to the young players on the o line. Crum played very well too
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:05 am The defense played great imo. That was a very high powered opponent we slowed down. We are going to have our way with many MWC teams and gives me hope for when we play Fresno and Boise.

The d line was as advertised. Bertgnole and Godbout and the other interior d linemen were dominant. Jaden Williams with a sack. Good for him

The d ends played very well. As was said before we didn’t go with four down linemen a lot of the time. I noticed Harsh was not played on the line at times. He flies around pretty good. Siders, who is a f-word beast, had a good game with a sack and a HUGE pressure that foiled their two point conversion. Harris with a sack. We have some absolute studs on the D line

DBs played great. Hawkins played well, as well as Raylor and Tyrecys Davis. Good to have Davis emerge. White and Eckler are the top safety duo in the league. Both are SOLID. And wrook brown with one of the biggest interceptions in UW history.

I really felt we wore them down on both sides of the ball. And shout out to the young players on the o line. Crum played very well too
Do you know who got pressure on their 2 point conversion?
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:02 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:05 am The defense played great imo. That was a very high powered opponent we slowed down. We are going to have our way with many MWC teams and gives me hope for when we play Fresno and Boise.

Do you know who got pressure on their 2 point conversion?
siders
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

That was quite a game. To hold an offense like that scoreless for 50 minutes straight is an almost unbelievable accomplishment. That Texas Tech offense was a top 25 offense last year and likely will be again this year. We don't win that game without a herculean effort on defense, and they delivered just that.

I still wasn't particularly impressed with our offense. Play calling was better, partly because Peasley looked much more comfortable with changing the play at the line of scrimmage once he saw how the defense was lining up. Team speed at the skill positions was clearly behind Texas Tech. I will give the offense credit for stepping up when they needed to. If we want to win the MWC, they will need to perform in the key moments consistently.

Looking ahead, Portland State has all the makings of a let down game. I fear the coaches will revert to a conservative playbook on both sides of the ball and expect us to win because "we are the better team". We are the better team, but all it takes is a couple of bad breaks and we could find ourselves in a tough position very quickly. I hope we come out with our foot on the pedal and keep the momentum going. However, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see a 10-3 scoreline at the halftime break.

Looking even further ahead, I'm cautiously optimistic with how we match up with Texas. I'll speak more to this once we get to week 3.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:48 pm The offense is more or less the same, but seemed better somehow. TE usage was superb and we have two great ones in Welch and Gyllenborg.

I was really impressed by Gyllenborg, both blocking and getting open. We were sooooo much slower than TT's defense, but it didn't matter once our big boys stepped out and the offense played like a unit.
Peasly was a warrior. I was not very impressed with his accuracy greater than ten yards, or his decision making at times

Honestly, the group I watched with all felt he got a concussion early in the game with that helmet to helmet. Reading the game day thread on Reddit after (it got almost as much attention as CU's GDT, which is impressive), it seems others thought he played through a concussion as well.

Obviously I hope he didn't, and he sure looked tough as nails. We won only because he was willing to get hit to make a play.

Kind of fun reading what other people thought, but be forewarned that TT fans whined about the refs and didn't stop doing so once they stopped scoring:
GDT:

PGT:
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

I was active from the outset of that game thread, and there was only one TTU fan that was actually consistently whiny about the refs. And he actually got piled on by other TTU fans more often than not, and got called out in the postgame thread for it as well.

Not to mention that every time there's a major call, there a passionate outburst from fans of the affected team every single time, no matter the validity of the call. It's the nature of live sporting events and live game threads. Our fans do it too.

Every game thread and every fanbase has its morons, but don't paint a picture that's not actually accurate.

Keep in mind that that one dude was so bad that someone else actually took the time to go back and count...something like 36 of the TTU-flaired comments whining about refs actually came from that one user alone. So lets not be disingenuous.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:14 am I was active from the outset of that game thread, and there was only one TTU fan that was actually consistently whiny about the refs. And he actually got piled on by other TTU fans more often than not, and got called out in the postgame thread for it as well.

Not to mention that every time there's a major call, there a passionate outburst from fans of the affected team every single time, no matter the validity of the call. It's the nature of live sporting events and live game threads. Our fans do it too.

Every game thread and every fanbase has its morons, but don't paint a picture that's not actually accurate.

Keep in mind that that one dude was so bad that someone else actually took the time to go back and count...something like 36 of the TTU-flaired comments whining about refs actually came from that one user alone. So lets not be disingenuous.
Yes, one guy (Masked_RedRider) was extreme, but that thread is full of others as well. I decided to look again after I was wondering if I had just imagined everything:

That___One___Guy0: I thought it would take until conference play for the refs to starting f-word us over but of course we get a big 12 crew in non-conference play.
and: Wouldn't be surprised if these f-word refs just ended the game at this point.

ICheerForTexasTech: They are absolutely horrible. Can’t decide what is worse - announcing or refs.

BallsDropped: The refs, the annoucers, and tech are like nails on a chalkboard right now
and: I think these refs need to hang up their whistles. Soooooo bad. Just poor poor game management all around.

aMiracleAtJordanHare: Pro tip: Just hold. The refs won't call it.
and: Refs are really f-word up on this drive.

DanPlainviewIV: Refs have money on this
Texascr1755: I’m sorry, but the female ref is not good

hawkspur1: First f-word game and the refs are already trash.

l901: Big 12 Refs remain undefeated

codnavar: Big 12 refs = Tech gonna lose. Can’t even get the calls vs Wyoming. Cowboys been holding all night and not a single one called but they sure as poop can see the hands to the face but can’t see the clock should have been at 3 seconds and not 1 to end the half.
and: Holding… all Wyoming does is hold and the refs haven’t called a single one.

number1defense: Big 12 refs

ViperVenom1224: The refs literally stole three points from us.

responding to "this is my first experience with Tech fans in game threads, and damn do you guys complain about officiating a lot"
kayakyakr: Everyone in the big xii does this, thanks to our experience with UT. We're used to getting f-word by the refs
ICheerForTexasTech: Have you not been watching this game?!

responding to "It’s just the altitude making us look bad… right guys?"
codnavar: Plus refs, dumb mistakes and poop play calling

Alright... these 10 minutes was far more than I needed to spend. I can probably keep going. I'm mainly saying that while one guy complained a LOT, so did plenty of others. I'd agree somewhat that there were holds that the refs didn't call, but I'm not seeing more than maybe one TT fan in total calling out that Red Raiders got away with holding a crap ton too. It was consistently ignored for both sides.