Good Team Alert - Volleyball

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:06 am Maybe the title should be changed to "bad team alert"
Ya, they opened MWC play with 4 straight losses, including a drubbing by Boise State (away) and San Diego State (home). Not sure what happened, but it certainly looks like they played a JV schedule OOC.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Must win tonight against CSU. CSU played a much tougher OOC schedule but is only 2-2 in the MWC. A loss here and this season could get real bad.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Good win over CSU tonight. Big rally in the 4th set to win the match.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

we won. Needed that
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Inspired win over San Jose State. The true freshman libero made some eye popping plays.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Medocrity U..say no more
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyoming with a big win on the road at previously 2nd place Air Force. Goes to 3-4 in MWC play.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:36 am Wyoming with a big win on the road at previously 2nd place Air Force. Goes to 3-4 in MWC play.
Hope we can just make the tourney at this point
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

It seems that the team overall is pretty young, with a lot of FR and SO contributing (esp. Barwell).

In the matches I've watched, they are cleaning up mistakes and becoming more consistent, which is why they have done better in their last three or four matches.

Fair disclosure: my knowledge of VB is basically from junior high PE class.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Lost Poke wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:49 am It seems that the team overall is pretty young, with a lot of FR and SO contributing (esp. Barwell).

In the matches I've watched, they are cleaning up mistakes and becoming more consistent, which is why they have done better in their last three or four matches.

I agree with this assessment other than confused who Barwell is. A big recent move was the true freshman Sierra Grizzle to libero. She has been very good. If this team stays together, they will be really really good next year.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:35 pm
Lost Poke wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:49 am It seems that the team overall is pretty young, with a lot of FR and SO contributing (esp. Barwell).

I agree with this assessment other than confused who Barwell is. A big recent move was the true freshman Sierra Grizzle to libero. She has been very good. If this team stays together, they will be really really good next year.
Ha! "Barwell" should be "Barlow"
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:35 pm

One thing I have noticed is the setter seems to get tired running that 5-1 the whole game. The quality of her sets goes way down in the latter half of the match. The coach needs to be willing to go to a 6-2 at times or find another setter that can run the 5-1 and a good right side away from being very good. Grizzle has been a spark, indeed. We will have to recruit multiple good hitters because we're losing Carruth and need a right side that is actually good.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke

VB Cowgirls have had a much more productive second half of the season. There is a scenario for them to move up to 5th place in the conference, with matches against the three teams immediately ahead of them.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke

The cowgirls wrecked UNM at home yesterday. Nice result, against a team just ahead of them in the standings. It didn't affect the final standings before the conference tourney, but good to see it.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Lost Poke wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:10 am The cowgirls wrecked UNM at home yesterday. Nice result, against a team just ahead of them in the standings. It didn't affect the final standings before the conference tourney, but good to see it.
This team returns most of its production next year (assuming no transfers). Could be a very good team next year!

(Finished .500 in the conference this year and I believe they were picked last)
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Volleyball wins in the first round of the NIVC over regular season Missouri Valley league champs South Dakota. Will play tomorrow in Greeley for the 2nd round.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:47 pm Volleyball wins in the first round of the NIVC over regular season Missouri Valley league champs South Dakota. Will play tomorrow in Greeley for the 2nd round.
Is this like the CBI of volleyball?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:24 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:47 pm Volleyball wins in the first round of the NIVC over regular season Missouri Valley league champs South Dakota. Will play tomorrow in Greeley for the 2nd round.
Not sure but it could be volleyball's version of the NIT.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

It’s the ‘NIT’ of volleyball. National Invitation Volleyball Championship. Wyoming also played in it 2017-2019.

It is determined by highest conference finisher not to make the NCAA tournament and then at large filled by highest RPI not to make the NCAAs. Cowgirls were a at large. The 11-0 non-conference season was huge for the Cowgirls.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:53 pm

It’s the ‘NIT’ of volleyball. National Invitation Volleyball Championship. Wyoming also played in it 2017-2019.

It is determined by highest conference finisher not to make the NCAA tournament and then at large filled by highest RPI not to make the NCAAs. Cowgirls were a at large. The 11-0 non-conference season was huge for the Cowgirls.
So six other MWC schools made the NCAA tourney or this tourney?