Conference musical chairs

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

Does anyone know what the financial penalty to OSU and WSU for trying to poach MWC schools is? I hope it's substantial!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:43 pm Does anyone know what the financial penalty to OSU and WSU for trying to poach MWC schools is? I hope it's substantial!
Nothing set in stone yet, so I don't believe any of the figures have been discovered.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

I never believe anything until the ink is dry. I damn sure don't trust fsu, usu, bsu, csu, and suds.

I'm not pessimistic or optimistic. I don't know what will happen and will only believe it when it happens.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:02 am Big week for p12 and indirectly MWC. If osu and wsu win control of 500 mill, then all bets are off. The mwc will be destroyed, imo. If they lose; I don't think they have the juice to try to rebuild the pac and they'll be forced to join the nwc. The football playoff is already setting up a vote to Revoke the pac12 autobid. If course, wsu's prez/ad could single handily veto. Interesting few weeks/months coming up.
I saw a report that a judge ruled in favor of OSU/WSU.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:12 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:02 am Big week for p12 and indirectly MWC. If osu and wsu win control of 500 mill, then all bets are off. The mwc will be destroyed, imo. If they lose; I don't think they have the juice to try to rebuild the pac and they'll be forced to join the nwc. The football playoff is already setting up a vote to Revoke the pac12 autobid. If course, wsu's prez/ad could single handily veto. Interesting few weeks/months coming up.
I saw a report that a judge ruled in favor of OSU/WSU.
But....appeals will be or probably have already been filed by the departing PAC-XX schools on the decision. This mess aint over yet.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

LOL I am so glad Wyoming only has one university. The amount of infighting between two or more major universities in (pick a state) is amazing.

On a side note (& I am being completely honest here), you have a far better chance of seeing a temporary peace in the Gaza area for about 30 days than seeing a OOC football series between Oklahoma & Okie State anytime soon.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Interesting that they went wcc for other sports. Huge wildcard is the pending split but this could mean the concept of a full merger is off. I think they are positioning themselves to set up the best conference they can after the big dogs split. Maybe some mwc teams and/or other teams that get left behind.

Going to be really interesting the next few years.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Wazz and Oregon State heading to the West Coast Conference for all sports except football (obviously) for a 2-year period was a bit weird. Wonder if Oregon State's ego got in the way of a full merger with the MW. The feeling I got is that Wazzu was actually O.K. with the idea of joining the MW. But that's just a feeling and I've been known to be wrong.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:55 pm Wazz and Oregon State heading to the West Coast Conference for all sports except football (obviously) for a 2-year period was a bit weird. Wonder if Oregon State's ego got in the way of a full merger with the MW. The feeling I got is that Wazzu was actually O.K. with the idea of joining the MW. But that's just a feeling and I've been known to be wrong.
The 2 year scheduling agreement with the wcc and 1 year with optional 1 year in football with the the mwc I think sets up the flexibility to selectively poach teams.

It's still impossible to tell how this works out.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Nevarez needs to be beaten for that scheduling agreement. What was she thinking??
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 105 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:49 am Nevarez needs to be beaten for that scheduling agreement. What was she thinking??
My guess is she's playing hardball with them. Saying something along the lines of "join the conference or don't". They want their cake and to eat it too. Right now the only sure thing is that they'll play football in the MW next season, and be in the WCC for everthing else. I'd guess that Nevarez is working on a deal to make them full members of the conference starting in the fall of 2025.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Read this morning that OSU and WSU reached a settlement with the departing schools which basically gives them control over PAC 12 assets and future revenues. I see it as the the death knell for the MW in a couple of years. Wyoming I fear will not be among the schools which will be asked to join a reformed PAC

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... 12-schools
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:53 am
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:49 am Nevarez needs to be beaten for that scheduling agreement. What was she thinking??
My guess is she's playing hardball with them. Saying something along the lines of "join the conference or don't". They want their cake and to eat it too. Right now the only sure thing is that they'll play football in the MW next season, and be in the WCC for everthing else. I'd guess that Nevarez is working on a deal to make them full members of the conference starting in the fall of 2025.
Seems like this gives them time to pick apart the MWC. If I were going to force their hand I sure wouldn't bail them out for a year!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:24 am

Seems like this gives them time to pick apart the MWC. If I were going to force their hand I sure wouldn't bail them out for a year!
That's what I'm thinking. I wonder if she overplayed her hand?

The timeline with 1 year flex felt like they were setting up to minimize buyouts. The court cases working out in their favor will give them the juice to subsidize buyouts too.

Who knows though?
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

As long as there was any hope for WSU and OSU that they would retain the megamillions sitting on the PAC-12 balance sheet there was zero chance they would join any conference, or leave the PAC 12-10=2

Now that they have control of that money officially, they will not make any move until their two year grace period is up.

After the 2 years, the decisions will all be made by media partners.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:24 am

They could reach out to them for addition to the PAC-12 if there are no other viable options. You have to think the PAC-12 is going to remain a P5 league and it will be adding members over the next 2-3 years to reach the mandated seven school membership for conference acknowledgement, in football.

The league has a deal with the WCC to play olympic sports in the meantime.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:43 pm Does anyone know what the financial penalty to OSU and WSU for trying to poach MWC schools is? I hope it's substantial!

📸 Look at this post on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/share/p/5exhSb ... tid=K35XfP
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:22 pm

📸 Look at this post on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/share/p/5exhSb ... tid=K35XfP
Thanks for posting. Very wise contract drafting for the MwC. These contractual PAC fees of $10 million for school is in addition to the exit fees of $5 million per school. I see no way it is economically feasible for the PAC to poach more than 2 MWC schools (and who else would join that conference).
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

I find it most interesting that there are no buyouts if the PAC takes all the MWC teams....