Running Clock

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Does the new running clock on first downs (minus the last two minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarter) help or hurt us? Or does it not matter?

With so much of Bohl’s philosophy based on clock management, how does a shorter game (fewer plays per game) effect us?

I’m guessing our offense will struggle even more as a result of this. Fewer plays per game will make it even harder to tire the defense out.

What’s everyone’s thoughts?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:42 pm Does the new running clock on first downs (minus the last two minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarter) help or hurt us? Or does it not matter?

With so much of Bohl’s philosophy based on clock management, how does a shorter game (fewer plays per game) effect us?

I’m guessing our offense will struggle even more as a result of this. Fewer plays per game will make it even harder to tire the defense out.

What’s everyone’s thoughts?
I think it will help us. We like to control the time of possession with the run anyway. The
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

The longer Wyo has the ball, the less the other team has the ball. That means the other offense has less time to score. I'd say it is a net positive for us, especially if our defense is as strong as we hope.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Ball control, assuming some key first downs will help the Pokes out a ton. There was a drive in the Navy-Notre Dame game that Navy ultimately missed a field goal on, but they ran on each down, picked up a string of first downs and ran nearly 9 minutes off the clock. I see that a win for this style of offense.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I think it hurts us. Bohl’s offensive philosophy is predicated on wearing the other team out late in the game. With less plays, there will be less opportunity to do so.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

We have to get first downs for it to help us. If we don't, it will be a wash from what we saw last year. If we do, our style of play benefits from a shortened game.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Hurts us.

We don't have a good enough offense to be a ball control system. We ranked 99th in t.o.p. last year.

Leave it alone 307, but most of our wins are against relatively bad teams. I think the running clock will help bad teams keep the game closer making it a bit more of a challenge to beat bad teams.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:16 am Hurts us.

We don't have a good enough offense to be a ball control system. We ranked 99th in t.o.p. last year.

Leave it alone 307, but most of our wins are against relatively bad teams. I think the running clock will help bad teams keep the game closer making it a bit more of a challenge to beat bad teams.
I didn't realize that we were 99th in TOP. Bohl...short for Bohloney. Talk more about sticking hands in dirt and being tough and being cowboy tough, coach. His schtick is way past being old - considering one of his most cherished stats - TOP - shows how feckless his offensive philosophy really is.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:27 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:16 am Hurts us.

I didn't realize that we were 99th in TOP. Bohl...short for Bohloney. Talk more about sticking hands in dirt and being tough and being cowboy tough, coach. His schtick is way past being old - considering one of his most cherished stats - TOP - shows how feckless his offensive philosophy really is.
I think he's had a couple years that were good, a few years in 45-60 range, and the rest sub 70 range.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Keep in mind that while our offense is predicated on draining clock and on the surface it may seem like it helps...

..our offense is also predicated on a) huddling and b) [attempting to] slowly wear down opposing defenses and drag games out. A running clock pushes more of a hurry up offense, which doesn't play to our offensive strengths. I'd expect a lot less effectiveness on good defenses, as well as a lot of blown plays and miscommunications in general.

Keep in mind also that our defense is already susceptible to getting gassed thanks to the offense's ineptitude. How much more is clock running gonna drain our already gassed defense against an offense that runs a hurry-up style well?

At best I think it'll be a wash.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Having less plays ran per game will help less talented teams assuming they are well-coached.The more plays that get run, the more likely a higher talented team can leverage that talent and win.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

My guess is that will end up hurting Wyoming on offense due our lack of depth and unimaginative play calling. Defensively probably a wash.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

While it's a small sample size still, after Week 0 the new clock rules shortened games by about 14 plays total. I don't know if 7 less plays is going to be the difference between a team being gassed or not in the 4th quarter.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:22 pm While it's a small sample size still, after Week 0 the new clock rules shortened games by about 14 plays total. I don't know if 7 less plays is going to be the difference between a team being gassed or not in the 4th quarter.
How many plays are there usually?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:26 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:22 pm While it's a small sample size still, after Week 0 the new clock rules shortened games by about 14 plays total. I don't know if 7 less plays is going to be the difference between a team being gassed or not in the 4th quarter.
How many plays are there usually?
According to The Athletic, the average in 2022 was 180 total plays per game, including special teams plays.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:56 pm The longer Wyo has the ball, the less the other team has the ball. That means the other offense has less time to score. I'd say it is a net positive for us, especially if our defense is as strong as we hope.
Fewer possessions for the other team is always Bohls mindset. I agree that it would help us.
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

307bball wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:10 pm Having less plays ran per game will help less talented teams assuming they are well-coached.The more plays that get run, the more likely a higher talented team can leverage that talent and win.
I agree with this assessment. This is why most of the MW teams hung with the bigger schools during the first half but these games always get worse the longer they go.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Bohl is horrible at managing the clock and always has been. Ive always said he must have a bonus in his contract that pays out for each unused timeout. Just maddening to watch.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Interesting. Yeah, 7 plays will only matter in close games where both teams have a good offense.

Good find.