Like Clockwork - Season Derailed with Fall Camp Injuries

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Buck Coors (hand) and Will Pellisier (finger) to have surgery. Pellisier was our most promising WR this year in my opinion. With McNeeley also out, I have to ask what we are doing in camp to sustain all these injuries that seem to be a yearly thing. Hopefully both can return quickly.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:32 pm Buck Coors (hand) and Will Pellisier (finger) to have surgery. Pellisier was our most promising WR this year in my opinion. With McNeeley also out, I have to ask what we are doing in camp to sustain all these injuries that seem to be a yearly thing. Hopefully both can return quickly.
Both seem to be prone to injury. McNeely too. This stinks! I like Pellisier and Coors
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:21 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:32 pm Buck Coors (hand) and Will Pellisier (finger) to have surgery. Pellisier was our most promising WR this year in my opinion. With McNeeley also out, I have to ask what we are doing in camp to sustain all these injuries that seem to be a yearly thing. Hopefully both can return quickly.
Both seem to be prone to injury. McNeely too. This stinks! I like Pellisier and Coors
Have to start wondering about if there is something about our program which leads to a greater incidence of injuries. Wyoming sure seems to be snake-bit.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

doreno5 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:54 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:21 pm
Have to start wondering about if there is something about our program which leads to a greater incidence of injuries. Wyoming sure seems to be snake-bit.
Bohl has a very old school mindset: use camp to break the players down and slowly build them back up.

The problem is, this isn't the 1980s anymore. Players are in strength and conditioning year round, they show up to day 1 of fall camp in the best shape they will be in all year. Bohl likes to grind, grind, grind. This leads to fatigue, which leads to injuries.

I can't compare to every FBS school, but he definitely goes harder than a lot of programs and often has to be convinced (by assistants, strength coaches, etc) to take some "lighter" days.

That certainly isn't the only reason behind injuries, but I think it is a big one for Wyo football.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:06 pm
doreno5 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:54 pm

Bohl has a very old school mindset: use camp to break the players down and slowly build them back up.

The problem is, this isn't the 1980s anymore. Players are in strength and conditioning year round, they show up to day 1 of fall camp in the best shape they will be in all year. Bohl likes to grind, grind, grind. This leads to fatigue, which leads to injuries.

I can't compare to every FBS school, but he definitely goes harder than a lot of programs and often has to be convinced (by assistants, strength coaches, etc) to take some "lighter" days.

That certainly isn't the only reason behind injuries, but I think it is a big one for Wyo football.
And it’s not like going hard does much for our preparation. In most early games, we look like garbage - perhaps save the Mizzou game several years ago. It would be one thing if going hard made us sharp as steel out of the gate - but it seems it makes us fatigued and lethargic. The tough guy schtick is really wearing thin.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

LawPoke wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:23 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:06 pm

And it’s not like going hard does much for our preparation. In most early games, we look like garbage - perhaps save the Mizzou game several years ago. It would be one thing if going hard made us sharp as steel out of the gate - but it seems it makes us fatigued and lethargic. The tough guy schtick is really wearing thin.
Not trying to defend going hard or going soft in camp...but, it's not like we have had success (more than 8 wins) with any approach for a very long time.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Seems to be a reoccurring theme. We simply don't have the depth to absorb these kind season ending injuries. Bohl comes from the Osborne Nebraska way.... tough practices and next man up... But the roster depth isn't there.
I'm good for 3!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

307bball wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:36 pm
LawPoke wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:23 pm

Not trying to defend going hard or going soft in camp...but, it's not like we have had success (more than 8 wins) with any approach for a very long time.
True. My sentiment tracks cornpoke's - we don't have the depth to do what Bohl insists on doing.

That said, your point is also correct. I could argue that more depth would help, but IMHO, Bohl's lame offensive philosophy and belief in people like Grant persist, we will NEVER win more than 8 games.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

LawPoke wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:24 pm
307bball wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:36 pm

True. My sentiment tracks cornpoke's - we don't have the depth to do what Bohl insists on doing.

That said, your point is also correct. I could argue that more depth would help, but IMHO, Bohl's lame offensive philosophy and belief in people like Grant persist, we will NEVER win more than 8 games.
This. IMHO, this is the biggest problem with the program. He fixes this and we put up a bronze statue in his honor.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:09 pm
LawPoke wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:24 pm

This. IMHO, this is the biggest problem with the program. He fixes this and we put up a bronze statue in his honor.
yeah....it would be great to have zero injuries but, in reality, is it going to matter to this offense...nah. What...we go from last on offense to ... last?
Wyomingisgreat1
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

Every team gets hit with injuries. No team goes unscathed pretty sure Texas Tech has a few as well.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Wyomingisgreat1 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:26 pm Every team gets hit with injuries. No team goes unscathed pretty sure Texas Tech has a few as well.
Except they have depth...we DON'T.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

Pretending that if we practiced different we'd end up with fewer injuries seems like a ridiculous argument if you haven't established that we do indeed have more injuries during the fall camp than other programs. I'm willing to bet that Boise st. goes harder than we do.
W-Y, Until I Die!