Texas Tech Game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Matador96
Buckaroo
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 1 time

Good afternoon. Texas Tech Fan here. There are quite a few Tech fans looking to make the trip to Laramie. Looking forward to discussing the game with you, and hopefully get some advice on parking, where to hang out before the game, and the pre-game experience. What is the atmosphere like?

Taking the road trip with my daughter, who is a sophomore at Tech and her roommate.

Game wise, the common thought is that your defense is stout, and the strength of your team. The comparison to a Big 12 team is like an Iowa State. Fair? Totally off base?

What can we expect from the Cowboys on the field? Who are the studs we need to watch for?

Hope y’all are having a great summer.
WreckEm!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Hope you enjoy your time in Wyoming. Yeah, don't know about Iowa State, but you pretty much described Wyoming. Nasty defense paired with some of the most disgusting offenses in college football. What is texas tech like?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Matador96 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:44 am Good afternoon. Texas Tech Fan here. There are quite a few Tech fans looking to make the trip to Laramie. Looking forward to discussing the game with you, and hopefully get some advice on parking, where to hang out before the game, and the pre-game experience. What is the atmosphere like?

Taking the road trip with my daughter, who is a sophomore at Tech and her roommate.

Game wise, the common thought is that your defense is stout, and the strength of your team. The comparison to a Big 12 team is like an Iowa State. Fair? Totally off base?

What can we expect from the Cowboys on the field? Who are the studs we need to watch for?

WreckEm!
Texas Texch should be well prepared for Wyoming I think based on past experiences. We basically run Mike Leach’s former Texas Tech offense. A lot of 5 wide sets out of shotgun. Teams running defensive sets with only 3 down lineman and maximum coverage typically shut us down because even though the offense features the receivers they aren’t very good.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Matador96 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:44 am Good afternoon. Texas Tech Fan here. There are quite a few Tech fans looking to make the trip to Laramie. Looking forward to discussing the game with you, and hopefully get some advice on parking, where to hang out before the game, and the pre-game experience. What is the atmosphere like?

WreckEm!
Glad to hear you're making the trip! Laramie is amazing in September.

The best Big 12 comparison on defense is Iowa State, but on offense it's closer to Kansas State. We'll pound the rock down your throats again and again until your defense gives up. The biggest issue with that comparison is that K-State likes to throw the ball from time to time, whereas we haven't had a QB that was anything more than a glorified running back since Josh Allen.

On defense look for the entire defensive front 7 to be ridiculous. There are no weak spots on the D line or in the LB corps. The highlights there are LB Easton Gibbs (#28, no names on jerseys for Wyoming) and Cole Godbout (#94). Both absolute studs.

On offense we're pretty thin. The strength is the O line and whoever is in at running back that play. Harrison Waylee (#4) is going to be the man this year. He's a grad transfer from Northern Illinois. His change of pace will be Dawaiian McNeely (#30). They will both most likely have 15+ carries and 100+ yards.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

Great to hear you are coming up for the game. My great aunt and uncle were huge Tech fans during the glory days of Lady Raider basketball and spending time with them was always great fun. I hope you enjoy your time on the High Plains.

In terms of your visit, tailgating is actually much improved over previous years. The Ford Lot (alumni and donor lot behind the stadium) and pregame in the Indoor Practice Facility are good places to be. The "Schaffer lot" right behind the Taco Bell (between Taco Bell and the stadium Ford Lot) is a lot of fun too. Most Poke fans are excited to welcome guests - we have some jackasses - but most are good folk (so long as you are not a BYU or CSU fan). People also tailgate in Washington Park (about 4 blocks from the stadium) and in the general vicinity of the stadium.

While in town, you should visit the Buckhorn - it is in local and regional lore as a great western bar. It is dingy, but that's why we love it. Bud's used to be a good bar too - don't know now as I haven't been there in a while.

The Crowbar has awesome pizza. Altitude and Rib & Chop are good for steak. There are microbreweries downtown that are fun too (Bond's and the Accomplice). Born in A Barn has great wings and burgers - and other stuff. The Library is also pretty darned good.

If you have time, sneak up to Vedauwoo to hike in the rocks or spend an hour going out to Centennial. There are some fun mountain bars and restaurants there - not Vail or Steamboat fancy, but fun.

Have a safe and fun trip. I won't speak much about the team as others have covered it well. We have a defense. We don't have any offense (or haven't had). Our kicker is damned good, which is important in the world of Bohl-ball.
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

A Saturday night game in Laradise on September 2 will be beautiful. No humidity! The place should be packed and the excitement level will be a notch above. The last P5 school that came into Laramie --left hurting all the way back to Columbia, MO. WYO people are top and we, love our Pokes.

The Defense will be tops--the offense is hard to say. Kicking game will be solid. Depth is always a concern--if we are hanging around in the 4Q--the Pokes win! TT needs to put us away quickly for a win or Bohl has a way to sneak up on you in the 4Q.

Tailgates along tailgate alley on the east side is outstanding--You are welcome-most welcome to stop over at space #40--the East 40 and join us. YES YES re the Buckhorn bar! The Geology Museum on Campus is cool and of course the Pokes have great facilities that you will see from a small state school.

Cowboys in Colorado sponsors that Tailgate at Space 40 which is of UW Cowboy Fans from the state of Colorado.

Get there by 3:00 pm so you can see the Cowboy Walk down Tailgate Alley!

You will have a great time and stop over at space 40--the east 40 and BTW anyone on Wyo Nation are always welcome as well!
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

Douglaspoke wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:22 pm A Saturday night game in Laradise on September 2 will be beautiful. No humidity! The place should be packed and the excitement level will be a notch above. The last P5 school that came into Laramie --left hurting all the way back to Columbia, MO. WYO people are top and we, love our Pokes.

The Defense will be tops--the offense is hard to say. Kicking game will be solid. Depth is always a concern--if we are hanging around in the 4Q--the Pokes win! TT needs to put us away quickly for a win or Bohl has a way to sneak up on you in the 4Q.

Tailgates along tailgate alley on the east side is outstanding--You are welcome-most welcome to stop over at space #40--the East 40 and join us. YES YES re the Buckhorn bar! The Geology Museum on Campus is cool and of course the Pokes have great facilities that you will see from a small state school.

Cowboys in Colorado sponsors that Tailgate at Space 40 which is of UW Cowboy Fans from the state of Colorado.

You will have a great time and stop over at space 40--the east 40 and BTW anyone on Wyo Nation are always welcome as well!
Damn it - you just jinxed us. Now I envision 3 lightning delays, 4 OTs, and the game will be over at 4am.... :)
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Outlaw Arthur Morgan wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:20 am
Douglaspoke wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:22 pm A Saturday night game in Laradise on September 2 will be beautiful. No humidity! The place should be packed and the excitement level will be a notch above. The last P5 school that came into Laramie --left hurting all the way back to Columbia, MO. WYO people are top and we, love our Pokes.

Damn it - you just jinxed us. Now I envision 3 lightning delays, 4 OTs, and the game will be over at 4am.... :)
That was a looooooooooong night.
ImageImageImageImage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Outlaw Arthur Morgan wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:20 am

My favorite game ever at War Memorial. That game was just so surreal.
Matador96
Buckaroo
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 1 time

Thanks for the replies. Just spent the weekend with some Tech buddies at the lake drinking bourbon and trying to convince ourselves we are 20 years younger.

Tech (and the Big 12) had their media days this past week. Interestingly, there was more talk about the Wyoming game over the Oregon game in Lubbock the next week. It’s very fair to say that Wyoming has Tech’s attention. Tech’s coach, Joey McGuire, talked about the atmosphere in Laramie, night game, and his respect for Bohl. Tech is flying out a few days before to try to get acclimated to the the altitude.

Tech is a very old team, and most came back from last years team that beat Ole Miss (42 - 25) in the Texas Bowl. QB is really, really good and has some talented WR’s all over the place. We return most of the RB production from last year, and the OL is the most improved from last year. Turnovers were our Achilles heel last year. If we can limit turnovers, we have a great opportunity in Laramie.

Defensively, like the offense, Tech is very old. We lost Tyree Wilson who went #7 overall to the Las Vegas Raiders and our STAR (combo LB / Safety) backer Muddy Waters. Our two inside DL (Bradford and Hutchins) are 5th year SRs who anchor the DL. They control both A and B gaps. The edge guys, Linton and Cole are “going to be beasts” per the HC. Secondary returns both corners who are 6’3 / 185 and can run. Both are 6th year SRs. The safeties are also 4th year guys and were starters last year. Biggest question mark on the team is Inside LB. Tech graduated both inside LBs. We have talent, but it is unproven.

And for the 1st time in forever, Tech has depth across the board. Tech’s collective, the Matador Club, makes sure that every player—scholarship and walk on—has an NIL deal. Everyone gets $25K. That has really helped us get quality guys and walk ons who may have gone somewhere else on scholarship, but can now walk on at Tech.

Looking forward to the drive. Right now, a bunch of Tech fans are staying in Fort Collins and driving up Saturday morning. For me, the hotel prices just simply priced me out of staying in Laramie. Will be looking for parking information, and will take you up on the tailgates. Bringing my daughter (Tech sophomore) and her roommate.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Tech only needs to score 21-24 to win. It'll be more than that. It'll be a 35-17 type game that's not really that close (Tech wins).
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Texas Tech should be title contender in their conference this year. I always worry when a Bohl coached team plays a passing offense. Washington State coached by Mike Leach came into Laramie in 2018 and won pretty easily. Oregon Did the same thing in 2017 and that was a Josh Allen team. Wyoming's defense just does not get to practice against a team that can throw the ball and it shows.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

doreno5 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:28 am Texas Tech should be title contender in their conference this year. I always worry when a Bohl coached team plays a passing offense. Washington State coached by Mike Leach came into Laramie in 2018 and won pretty easily. Oregon Did the same thing in 2017 and that was a Josh Allen team. Wyoming's defense just does not get to practice against a team that can throw the ball and it shows.
Tech is a darned good team. They will contend for the Big 12 championship and they will probably beat us by 20+. Wyoming might be decent in the MW, but having watched TTU last season, this will be a monumental challenge.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

What is Craig Bohl vs P5? 1-8 or 1-9 or something like that?

There's a reason. The 1 win was a against a 5 win Missouri team. If you're 1 dimensional, you have to be able to bully people. Our roster isn't going to bully defenses from a decent or better P5 program.

Tech will be good enough to stop the run and dare WYO to throw. Of course we can't throw, so we know how that ends.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 62 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:59 pm What is Craig Bohl vs P5? 1-8 or 1-9 or something like that?

There's a reason. The 1 win was a against a 5 win Missouri team. If you're 1 dimensional, you have to be able to bully people. Our roster isn't going to bully defenses from a decent or better P5 program.

Tech will be good enough to stop the run and dare WYO to throw. Of course we can't throw, so we know how that ends.
I don't think Wyoming is good enough to bully anybody in the MWC...much less a title contender from the P5.

Look at our record against BSU....also 1-8

Record against FSU, BSU, and SDSU 3-15
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think Wyoming wins and Peasley does well this year.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 62 times

marcuswyo wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:52 pm I think Wyoming wins and Peasley does well this year.
This...I like!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

This team gets it done, we will lose games but we will play in the MW championship. Defense is good and they are gonna let Peas run.

Cody Tucker thinks this team can be good and he’s no hack.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

marcuswyo wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:52 pm I think Wyoming wins and Peasley does well this year.
I agree if "Wyoming wins" means they score 17 points and "Peasley does well" means he doesn't get hurt this year.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:59 pm What is Craig Bohl vs P5? 1-8 or 1-9 or something like that?

Just to piggyback off of this:

Key offensive ranks in MWC post-Josh Allen):

2018: 12/12 pass offense, 10/12 total offense (yds), 12/12 points, 6-6 record

2019: 11/12 pass offense, 10/12 total offense (yds), 8/12 points, 8-5 record

2020: 9/12 pass offense, 9/12 total offense (yds), 8/12 points, 2-4 record

2021: 10/12 pass offense, 7/12 total offense (yds), 8/12 points, 7-6 record

2022: 10/12 pass offense, 9/12 total offense (yds), 8/12 points, 7-6 record

Lol.