Bohl ranks 6th..

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Among MWC coaches, Bohl ranks 6th according to this article ...https://mwwire.com/2023/06/23/2023-moun ... kings/amp/

Since that is where he typically ends up over a decade, can't say I disagree.

Of course, there's those that say WYO is so handicapped, Bohl is the greatest coach ever. Yeah, don't agree with that. Bohl gets a mwc on training wheels. Reality is such a b I t c h.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

No reason to downgrade or elevate his accomplishments. He's simply the most successful coach in Laramie since Tiller which happens to be the last time we were consistently in the top tier of the conference..... Far too long ago.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:13 pm No reason to downgrade or elevate his accomplishments. He's simply the most successful coach in Laramie since Tiller which happens to be the last time we were consistently in the top tier of the conference..... Far too long ago.
Agreed. 4th-6th best coach in the mwc coaching the 4th-6th best program in the mwc. A dilapidated mwc at that.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

My apologies, I forgot to add: " Golly gee, that is pretty good for little ole Wyoming. Powder River let r buck and cowboy tough"!
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:30 pm My apologies, I forgot to add: " Golly gee, that is pretty good for little ole Wyoming. Powder River let r buck and cowboy tough"!
? ....Did you mean to post this here? Seems to be missing some context.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:03 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:30 pm My apologies, I forgot to add: " Golly gee, that is pretty good for little ole Wyoming. Powder River let r buck and cowboy tough"!
It's in context. I've come around. 4th-6th in a dilapidated mwc is legendary for little ole WYO. We should fast track him to governor when he's done.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:46 am
307bball wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:03 pm

It's in context. I've come around. 4th-6th in a dilapidated mwc is legendary for little ole WYO. We should fast track him to governor when he's done.
Oh...missed the sarcasm.

Has the bottom 2/3's of the conference ever been good enough to make anybody feel better about losing to them? Did anybody feel good about getting absolutely ran off the field by the good Utah, TCU, BYU, and BSU teams from 2001 through about 2011? I think you have tried to explain this to me before and it has never made any sense. Are you a "conference" guy? Do you take pride in SDSU going to the national title game last year since they are a conference member? How does the relative strength of the conference Wyoming plays in relate to your enjoyment of Wyoming sports?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:42 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:46 am

Oh...missed the sarcasm.

Has the bottom 2/3's of the conference ever been good enough to make anybody feel better about losing to them? Did anybody feel good about getting absolutely ran off the field by the good Utah, TCU, BYU, and BSU teams from 2001 through about 2011? I think you have tried to explain this to me before and it has never made any sense. Are you a "conference" guy? Do you take pride in SDSU going to the national title game last year since they are a conference member? How does the relative strength of the conference Wyoming plays in relate to your enjoyment of Wyoming sports?
Agreed. Prexy pasture Statue problem solved. We should erect a gigantic Craig Bohl statue. I mean, what else do you do for a perpetual 4th +/- coach with a sub-.500 record?
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:08 am
307bball wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:42 am

Oh...missed the sarcasm.

Agreed. Prexy pasture Statue problem solved. We should erect a gigantic Craig Bohl statue. I mean, what else do you do for a perpetual 4th +/- coach with a sub-.500 record?
Setting aside the sarcasm...I think it is hard make the case for Bohl being no good...He may be mediocre...but at this point, we are considered to be in the happy half of the conference witch is more than can be said for his recent (going back 20 years) predecessors. Ultimately if you hate on CB, relative conference strength is the weakest rung in that ladder. It's nonsensical.

I don't know who the writer was .... they wrote a look-ahead to next football season in the MW and said that Craig Bohl is likely to put another 7 or 8 games in the win column but that Wyoming fans are wondering if that will forever be the best that can be accomplished...seems to be pretty accurate.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:41 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:08 am

Setting aside the sarcasm...I think it is hard make the case for Bohl being no good...He may be mediocre...but at this point, we are considered to be in the happy half of the conference witch is more than can be said for his recent (going back 20 years) predecessors. Ultimately if you hate on CB, relative conference strength is the weakest rung in that ladder. It's nonsensical.

I don't know who the writer was .... they wrote a look-ahead to next football season in the MW and said that Craig Bohl is likely to put another 7 or 8 games in the win column but that Wyoming fans are wondering if that will forever be the best that can be accomplished...seems to be pretty accurate.
I'm agreeing with you. Eaton and his 63% ×/- winning percentage and only having to play 10 games, pshaww. Hell, Bohl has almost matched his win total. Even though it'll take 10 years, Bohl had to play 2 more games per year. If Eaton had to do that, surely he'd be below 50% win total too.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Craig Bohl = Pat Hill. Good coach, but never great.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:48 am
307bball wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:41 am

I'm agreeing with you. Eaton and his 63% ×/- winning percentage and only having to play 10 games, pshaww. Hell, Bohl has almost matched his win total. Even though it'll take 10 years, Bohl had to play 2 more games per year. If Eaton had to do that, surely he'd be below 50% win total too.
again....the sarcastic topspin is not helping here. For myself...I can hold two thoughts in my brain without it melting down.

1. I would love to have a better coach than Bohl at the helm.

2. I recognize his strengths and appreciate the foundation of competence and respect that the program has been missing since the Tiller days has at least been established.

What do you think the odds are of how the Bohl era finishes? Is it a Larry Shyatt-esque ride off into the sunset, respected by most but not really celebrated? Or does he go down the road of all of the non-Roach coaches (except Tiller) who flame out and get the boot after a couple seasons of only competing at the bottom of the conference? Or maybe you think he gets to the mythical 10 win season and decides to quit on top?....My bet is that it's a coin flip between the first two possibilities...don't see a truly great season out of his program anytime soon.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:01 am Craig Bohl = Pat Hill. Good coach, but never great.
Pretty fair. Pat Hill played in the old WAC which is probably pretty comparable to the MWC today.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:10 am

What do you think the odds are of how the Bohl era finishes? Is it a Larry Shyatt-esque ride off into the sunset, respected by most but not really celebrated? Or does he go down the road of all of the non-Roach coaches (except Tiller) who flame out and get the boot after a couple seasons of only competing at the bottom of the conference? Or maybe you think he gets to the mythical 10 win season and decides to quit on top?....My bet is that it's a coin flip between the first two possibilities...don't see a truly great season out of his program anytime soon.
Bohl will ride off when Bohl decides to ride off; Burman doesn't have any other real option. He'll bounce around 6 wins until he does.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:41 am
307bball wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:10 am

Bohl will ride off when Bohl decides to ride off; Burman doesn't have any other real option. He'll bounce around 6 wins until he does.
You think he could leave in his own terms of he wins four conference games over the next two years?...I think he would get shown the the door.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:36 am
WYO1016 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:01 am Craig Bohl = Pat Hill. Good coach, but never great.
Pretty fair. Pat Hill played in the old WAC which is probably pretty comparable to the MWC today.
Again with comparing conference strength...you never answered my earlier question.

Are you a "conference" guy? Do you take pride in SDSU going to the national title game last year since they are a conference member? How does the relative strength of the conference Wyoming plays in relate to your enjoyment of Wyoming sports?

I'm trying to understand what it means for your perception Of Bohl (or any coach) based solely on how good the conference is. He's just barely above .500 in conference since he got through the first two years...what if we had been in the Big10 and had gone .500...obviously that team would be better if you are just comparing who would win....does that mean the coach is better? Who did the better job? I don't have an obvious answer to that question...For me....the goal is to win your conference ...whatever that means. Coaches have zero control over how good their conference is.

On the topic of total program wins....Bohl looks like he will surpass Eaton this year unless the season goes way off the rails. Is anybody putting Bohl on the level of Eaton based on that? What? nobody? didn't think so.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

307bball wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:04 am

You think he could leave in his own terms of he wins four conference games over the next two years?...I think he would get shown the the door.
I absolutely think he would keep his job. With 2 wins in non-conference games, he is Bohling in this modern era of participation ribbons for anyone with 6 wins. So long as the CJC royalty can go to the all-to-laughable Barstool Arizona Bowl, sit in the luxury box and get their butts kissed, Bohl isn't going anywhere.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:04 am

He'll win 4 +/- every year, so, yes he's leaving when he wants to.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:00 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:36 am

Again with comparing conference strength...you never answered my earlier question.

Are you a "conference" guy? Do you take pride in SDSU going to the national title game last year since they are a conference member? How does the relative strength of the conference Wyoming plays in relate to your enjoyment of Wyoming sports?

I'm trying to understand what it means for your perception Of Bohl (or any coach) based solely on how good the conference is. He's just barely above .500 in conference since he got through the first two years...what if we had been in the Big10 and had gone .500...obviously that team would be better if you are just comparing who would win....does that mean the coach is better? Who did the better job? I don't have an obvious answer to that question...For me....the goal is to win your conference ...whatever that means. Coaches have zero control over how good their conference is.

On the topic of total program wins....Bohl looks like he will surpass Eaton this year unless the season goes way off the rails. Is anybody putting Bohl on the level of Eaton based on that? What? nobody? didn't think so.
This is football. suds' bball is irrelevant to football.

It's pretty simple, I'd expect a coach to win more games against bottom 30 teams than top 30 teams.

One scenario is reality and the other is theoretical. If we were ever playing against mostly top 30 teams that would mean we are in a different conference with different resources and different expectations.

Yes, I have different expectations based on quality of opponent. This year's ooc is a great example. 2-2 is actually not a terrible situation.

2-2 against 2 fcs and 2 bottom 10 fbs squads is quite a bit different.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:01 pm
307bball wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:00 pm

This is football. suds' bball is irrelevant to football.

It's pretty simple, I'd expect a coach to win more games against bottom 30 teams than top 30 teams.

One scenario is reality and the other is theoretical. If we were ever playing against mostly top 30 teams that would mean we are in a different conference with different resources and different expectations.

Yes, I have different expectations based on quality of opponent. This year's ooc is a great example. 2-2 is actually not a terrible situation.

2-2 against 2 fcs and 2 bottom 10 fbs squads is quite a bit different.
Fine...when Utah and TCU were borderline best in the country, did that fill your hear with pride that Wyoming was in the same conference? Are you a football conference guy? Did 2-6 in conference in 2007 feel different than going 2-6 in a weaker MWC in 2014 and 2015? The 2007 team was probably stronger from a pure football standpoint but 2-6 in conference in 2007 felt a lot like going 2-6 in conference nearly 10 years later.

Also...that was a misunderstanding of the question...I'm not asking about pure SOS. Of course It is easier for a specific team to beat bad teams than good ones.

I'll try to be as specific as possible. I'm asking if you would feel differently going .500 over 7 years in the MWC (as Bohl has done)....vs going .500 in a significantly stronger or weaker conference. In all cases....Wyoming would be a member of that conference. In all of those cases there are no conference championships and only middling bowl appearances (relative to whatever bowl games that conference would have). I don't really see a difference there. I know plenty of people who root for perennial .500 teams from big time conferences and also from the ranks of the FCS....none of them try and downgrade a wining season by pointing out that the "strength of the conference" is down and none of them feel any better during a losing stretch by pointing out that "oh..the conference is just too tough right now". Also...why would expectations be different depending on the conference we were in?....The goal is to win your conference....regardless....I don't think any SEC schools finish in the bottom half and go around congratulating each other for being in the best conference.

I think I see a situation here where maybe you are trying to get a sense of like..."greatest Wyoming team ever"....or "greatest Wyoming Coach ever". In that case then all your focus on how strong the opponents are makes more sense.